Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just traded my Krappy Kimber for a G27 with night sites, and good riddance. the thing is, the dude is a cop, and has LEO mags. The mags have the standard restricted message on it. The thing is, they are nine-rounders. Im perplexed. Does anyone have info on this? are they still restricted? My guess would be no, but your opinions would be appreciated.

PGL

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If it is a magazine with the normal 9-round capacity, you should be ok. Is the imprint on the floorplate? If so, removing it and adding a Pearce +1 or +0 floorplate will solve the issue for sure.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yup... and if it's not that, as long as it can't hold more than 10 rounds you should be fine. That's just a manufacturer's stamp, probably for a department sale - it's not a Governmental requirement to stamp non-banned mags.
Flyer

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re:

Midiman said:
Could the same mag be used in a smaller caliber Glock and then hold more than 10 rounds??? My general philosopy is; stay away from LEO ONLY mags.
I dunno-- i dont have any 9mm ammo around....wait, i have two hydrashocks; i dont think that's gonna make it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are pics of the floor plate and the text on the mag bodies:
(note: the comparison in the photo comes from a G23 10 rounder.)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here are the mag followers. they look pretty much the same, but the followers arent interchangable between the LE G27 mag and the 10 round G23 mag. curious.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue unless you load it up with 9mm and stick it in a G26. Well, just loading it with 9mm, if it takes more than 10rds would be a "bad thing" to do, but you get the point. If it's a .40 mag, for a G27, and you put .40 in it and only use it in a G27, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

madman said:
Shouldn't be an issue unless you load it up with 9mm and stick it in a G26. Well, just loading it with 9mm, if it takes more than 10rds would be a "bad thing" to do, but you get the point. If it's a .40 mag, for a G27, and you put .40 in it and only use it in a G27, you should be fine.
It's a real gamble that the ATF would see it the same way. It's one thing to do that with a plain .40 mag but an LEO marked mag? I think they would start splitting hairs pretty quick. Especially if you ever had to USE the thing in a defensive situation. If that happened, you would be looking at Federal felony charges. You make the call. A regular, factory 9rd mag just isn't that expensive... buy a pair for $40 and be done with it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Put the mags away in the back of your gun safe until October 1st. At that point, the LEO markings will be a MOOT point! Yay!!! Post 9/31/04, a Glock 19 can *really be* a Glock *19* again!!!!
I'm going to get a G19 hi-cap as soon as the ban is lifted, and put a grip extender on it (www.gripextensions.com) for my backup mag.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, im just going to order a G27 follower and put it in the mag body. already hit up lone wolf today.
Thanx,

PGL

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Called my local ATF agent today and inquired about the hi-cap/le magazines. My question to him was if the ban sunsets in September, The mags marked Restricted LE/Gov 9-13-94 were going to be legal or not, he said to be on the safe side, try to get new ones or pre-bans. He wasnt sure what would happen. He did tell me that any of the general public gets them now(before the ban goes away) that they could be a test case. Anybody have a question concerning the mags should call there local ATF office or right them a letter. But he did mentioned that the markings could mean nothing afterward next month.

I do remember him telling me to try and get NEW ones. Apparently the ATF seems to have no plans about hi-caps yet.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If the ban sunsets, the ATF can't do anything new about limiting high capacity magazines unles new legislation is passed. They can't create their own laws.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
It is my understanding that at this time it is absolutely illegal for a private citizen to buy or own any mag that is stamped LEO. Federal crime. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One last thing:
I spoke to an agent at the BATF in the Houston regonal office and questioned them about my problem. They said, as long as it is used in a .40 pistol, it is "okay." Not documented, but reassuring.

--PGL

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
And if you switch the parts I dont think thats not illegal either as long as you are not making a new magazine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts