Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to pick up either a Smith and Wesson 45 or a 10mm each with a 4" barrel. I like both and they have their pro's and con's. The biggest con for the 10mm is that Smith and Wesson isn't making them anymore. The 1066 that I am looking at has 3 magazines so I won't really have to worry about getting anymore. The pro's for the 4566 is that it's still in production, magazines and parts are readily avilabile but it ain't no 10mm.. give me some advice.....plzzzzzz.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The .45 is always going to come out on top if the question is self-defense.
The most effective loads for the 10mm are actually loadings that are the ballistic equivalent of the .40 S&W... which are STILL below the best the .45 can do.
To me the 10mm has always been a "full-house" gun... use max loads for dangerous animals. I've never considered it a viable defensive round.
On the other hand I think the Glock 20 with 16 rounds of full-power 10mm could well be the most awesome handgun known to man, in terms of defense against dangerous animals.
But for humans? Gimme the .45.
Flyer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked out the Glock 20 yesterday. I previously had a 21 and sold it becasue it was waaaay to big for CCW. I am leaning more and more towards the 45 just becasue of the availibility of ammo and parts. I have always wanted a 10mm thought, maybe it was too much Miami Vice as a teenager.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FLYER,

this is the pistol that we spoke of earlier (this is a pic from an article not the acutal gun) I could not get it to post in a PM message.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, the Charter 2000 version of the Bulldog Pug.
Nice looking guns... but for some reason, there's something wrong with about every other one!
No kidding... a friend with a gunshop has been sending them back on a regular basis. This weekend he sent one just like that back for a faulty timing issue... the cylinder stop engaged whenever you tried firing double-action. In other words, when used as it WOULD be in a self-defense situation, it wouldn't fire! You could cock the hammer ala single-action and it'd work every time... but no double-action.
These have the potential to be really good guns... providing Charter 2000 REALLY steps up it's quality control.
Flyer

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Let me add my two cents...
I think it's the King of Pistol Calibers.
Just one man's opinion... though one that's fired almost every pistol round known to man.
Flyer

·
Registered
40 Posts
charter revolver caliber?

Hey guys,

Is that charter revolver a .45LC? I've got a Taurus 450T 5 shot .45LC titanium revolver that could be a twin of that piece. It's great to shoot even with defense loads but I really wish somebody made aftermarket wood grips for it. My only other complaint is that I wish it had a bobbed hammer and was DAO. Of course with a little work.......

-Brock

[email protected]

P40 for sale

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Ive never fired a 10mm. Isnt somewhat close to a .45??

Butnever had a problem with my Charter 2000 undercover model and its still spits rounds out like it supposed to.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The 10mm is a cartridge originally intended to replicate the ballistics of the .41 Magnum in an autopistol round.
It came pretty close, in it's better loadings... 200 gr. bullets at 1200 fps, my favorite load and one that REALLY packs a punch.
When the FBI adopted the round, however, they participated in it's decline... they adopted a tamed-down version that's ballistically identical to the .40 S&W. In fact, that's what the .40 IS - a 10mm short.
So... in it's most powerful loadings (which are very hard to find now, since the only company that really made any was Norma and it's since stopped producing it) it's considerably more powerful than the .357 Magnum, and is definitely in the league of the .41 S&W magnum. It's with THIS round in mind that I picture the Glock 20 and 16 rounds ready to go as the ultimate "wilderness" pistol.
Now, though, unless you handload your own rounds, you're not really going to find much difference between the 10mm and .40 S&W.
Flyer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW

I FEEL SO WELCOME

Don't. The picture of your SU-16 is inappropriate here, so I've deleted it... as I've done in other places. I've asked you to stay on topic and I've asked you to stop typing in all caps... comply or leave.

Midiman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is my newest addition to the Smith family my long awaited 1076 10mm. Gun, nite sights, 3 mags 420.00 from KY Imports. I can tell you that after shooting it again today that 10mm, given a choice would definately by my choice. This is definately a keeper....

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
This is my newest addition to the Smith family my long awaited 1076 10mm.

Hey Norfdet893, just wanted you to know I joined the 10mm ranks today. I picked up a 1911 conversion kit in 10mm. This kit does not look to have been shot at all. It came with the slide, barrel, link, barrel bushing, mag, recoil spring, and combat sights. Total was $149.

BTW I sold my 686 (I am still weeping as the mod 27 was gone when I went to get it)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
norfdet893 said:
This is my newest addition to the Smith family my long awaited 1076 10mm.

Hey Norfdet893, just wanted you to know I joined the 10mm ranks today. I picked up a 1911 conversion kit in 10mm. This kit does not look to have been shot at all. It came with the slide, barrel, link, barrel bushing, mag, recoil spring, and combat sights. Total was $149.

BTW I sold my 686 (I am still weeping as the mod 27 was gone when I went to get it)
What about magazines? You need those too..... :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts