Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, folks, I have a Glocking question for y'all. If you wonder why I'm not asking this at GT, it's A) because this is my gun home, and B) because GT is run in a rather fascist manner, requiring "account moderation" before you can even make a post... So much for freedom of speech...

I'm looking extremely hard at buying either a G27 or a G36. I'm quite comfy with either caliber, so that's not a concern. My question centers on size. The actual measurements aren't significantly different, but I know that in the real world some guns conceal better than others. I know the G27 can be relatively easily pocket carried (I fondled one at my dealer's place), but I don't know if the G36 will work well in the pocket (because my dealer doesn't have any in stock I can handle).

Basically, can someone who owns/owned both a 27 and a 36 give me some idea as to how much bigger the 36 is than the 27? I'm leaning towards the 36 because I tend to think that .45 is the best all-around handgun caliber, but which ever one I get MUST be small enough I can pocket it reasonably in any pocket where I can fit my P40. Does the 36 fill this bill?

·
Registered
192 Posts
NO

the criitical issue is height
this is the reason PPKs were popular for decades
the 36 doesn't make the cut for pocket carry

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, go with the G-36.
It's thinner than ANY other Glock, and with it's flush-mounted mag isn't much different in size than the G-27.
The G-36 is 4.76 high, while the G-27 is 4.17.
That's not a whole lot of difference.
The main difference is in the length of the pistol; the grip size is so close as to make virtually no difference.
Remember - Don't confuse the G-36 with the G-30, which is a double-stack pistol with wide slide and grip. The G-36 has the same slide dimensions and thickness as the other Glocks.
The gun the 36 most resembles in size (not thickness) is a Makarov.
Flyer

·
Registered
79 Posts
I find my 26/27/33 easier to conceal than my 36 (or my 29 or 30).

The 27 is about 1/10 inch wider at the slide, but the extra 1/2 inch in height and length of the 36 negates its thinner slide... for me.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yeah, that's one thing to bear in mind...
Not everyone comes in the same size.
I'm 6'3, and can conceal most anything fairily easily...
So, factor in your "Personal Size" quotient.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
The gun the 36 most resembles in size (not thickness) is a Makarov.
Flyer
I have pocket carried my Makarov on occasion, if that's any help.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 5'7", ~180 (working on losing my spare tire). My P40 and my Taurus 85 disappear beautifully in IWB holsters with a loose shirt.

If I understand what's being said, the G36 is basically as wide as a standard 9x19 or .40 Glock, but a good deal thinner than the G30. If that's the case then I think I'll get the G36, because anything Mak sized will work just fine IWB and should fit beautifully in larger pants pockets. I just wish my dealer had one of each so I could hold them side-by-side. Can someone with both models post a couple of side-by-side or one-on-top-of-the-other pics please? Thanks!!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, that's exactly it... in fact, the G-36 is the only model Glock itself calls "Slimline".
Just a few minutes ago I set my G-30 on top of a Mak to see how close the comparison was, at least height-length.
The G-30, the exact same size as the 36 except for width, is actually SHORTER in the grip than the Mak by a noticeable margin. It's about 1/2 inch longer... but the difference is negligible.
I'd definitely go with the G-36.
Flyer

·
Registered
192 Posts
A 26\\27\\33 is fat but that can be handled with baggy pants.

The 1/2" of height difference I can't use in a pocket.

IWB would be better with a thinner gun but I don't carry that way.

If you have to have both, get a Kahr.

Go get a cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster and try it out in the store. Spend $15 to prevent a $500 mistake.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Umm...
A Glock is NEVER a mistake, unless you mean selling one.
I don't have anything but my G-30 Glock with me now... but I'll take a pic with it and a Mak and Smith 342 Centennial to show the size comparison.
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, pics are good. I also did a side-by-side comparision of the length/width/height of the 27, the 36, and a P40. Width isn't a big deal, they're all between 1.0 and 1.2. Length-wise, both Glocks are longer than the P40, which is good and bad (longer barrel=better velocity, longer overall length=slightly harder to conceal). The height seems to be my biggest problem. I like the super short grip length on my P40 -- it's so short that I can tuck it IWB at almost any location and it won't print. I'm not sure I want to go with anything taller, but I'd still rather have a .45. Then again, the mag capacity on the 27 probably helps overcome any caliber differences... let's see, .45x7 rds = overall "hole diameter" of 3.15, and .40x10=4.00 overall "hole diameter" (I know it's a made-up measurement, but you get my point).

Final request (for now). Can someone post a pic of a G30/36 side by side with a P11 or P40, purty please?! I need to make up my mind soon, otherwise I'm going to be waiting till the cows come home for KT to make a P45 conversion kit for the P11 frame (I know, it's impossible to do, but I can wish...).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I own and carry a G36, a G30 and G26, so maybe I can add to this convo.

The G36 (1.13" wide) is thinner than even the G26(1.18" wide). Stats provided on the glock.com website. Loaded, the G36 weighs just slightly more than the G26. Here is my real world data.

G26

G36

To me, weight and thickness are the most important factors for IWB carry. The G36 is obviously longer and taller but it's still smaller and thinner than a G19 it's not much bigger than makarov and weighs slightly less.

As for pocket carry of the G36 is concerned, I do it all the time. Of course, I am 6'4" and 250lbs. G36 goes in the right pocket and a HBEleathers holster that carries a spare mag and a Surefire Nitrolon goes in the left front pocket. I'll post picks of that later.

I also have been known to pocket carry a G30 in the same holster. With a 9 round mag, the grip height is cut down consdierable and you would be amazed at how comfortable it is. The ccdw-unfriendly gf and her anti-friends don't seem to notice.

I no longer own any Kel-Tec Pistols. My P3AT trigger axis broke at the range. I had it replaced and traded it off. And I've recently retired the maks from carry. I carry either a G36 or G30 daily (mostly the G36) and occasionally carry a G26 or a Colt Mustang. I keep checking in at KTrange because the conversations and the company are so great.

I need to updated my avatar.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mistake was too strong a word as we all seem to agree that all Glocks rock. How about "optimum for you" instead? Diffrent strokes, that's why they call it a horserace.

What do you think about pimping your Glock? Did I ever tell you the story about goldiglocks and the 3 bears?

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261177

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yo G33! Get yer Glock in her and show it to everyone!
Speaking of which... there's no WAY anyone's getting NEAR my Glocks to refinish them.
Factory all the way, baby.
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re:

Flyer said:
Speaking of which... there's no WAY anyone's getting NEAR my Glocks to refinish them.
Flyer
I hope you meant to type "in here". Getting a Glock "in her" probably elevates one to the level of sickness that ol' Slick Willie and his cigars enjoy. :roll:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh, let's see . 6+1 rds of .45 ACP vs. 9+1 rds. of .40 S&W. Not to mention the fact you can carry a 10 rd. or 15 rd. backup mag of .40. Really hard decision. G27.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Now I've just got to hop in on this one.
Speaking personally, just for myself, you know, just me...
I never really drooled over hi-capacity pistols that much. The main reason IS, I didn't intend to MISS that often.
I figure one or two or maybe three trigger squeezes should do me. If I need more than that I need more than a pistol.
Flyer

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Flyer
You mean my G33 or the "holster?" grinning

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.