Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed KT about removing the front sight on my Su-16 so that I could use low mount scope rings with out it interfering. I also want to add a recoil reducer. The front site can be removed with out voiding the warranty. Here is the text of the email I received! Poor grammar I know but so what!

Quote:
Sir the sight is press fitted and loctited if you heat it up you could knock it off without voiding your warrantee, the 32 and P-11 hc slides will not be available until the beginning of the year.

Kel-Tec customer service
1475 Cox rd.
cocoa, Florida. 32926
web site www.kel-tec.com
Phone # (321)631-0068 fax # (321)631-1999

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
That sounds like Marty! That's KT's head gunsmith.
Haven't heard/read anything from him in awhile!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am honored then! Now it could be I mentioned I was a member of both sites :oops: How in the world would you know Marty from just his grammar which I now find excellent BTW :wink:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front sight does not come off with heat alone! I heated the barrel and sight till the plastic was all but melting. It required a vertical incision with a hot blade to remove. Still it was worth it! Looks nice IMHO. Now I need to make a Recoil reducer ....

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I'll bet there's a bunch of AR muzzle brakes that're the right inside diameter...
The thing is, it'll have to be a permanent attachment, i.e., welded or pinned into place.
What would be BEST, I think, would be to have someone specializing in custom porting actually convert the muzzle itself... sort of like Magna-Porting.
This would work well, probably be more expensive, but wouldn't add length or weight to the rifle.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flyer why would it need to be permanent? I only have one other evil feature right? Just curious...also I want a "recoil reducer" not a "Flash Suppresser". :)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
A muzzle brake is a recoil reducer!
It also is a blast ENHANCER. Ker-POW!!!!
As I understand the law, it doesn't really matter about the features you've got, as long as the rifle's a centerfire semi-auto. It's gotta be either permanent or built-in. I may be wrong about this, though...
Look at Bushmaster's online catalog... they've got a series of muzzle brakes that might work. I recommend the Mini-Comp series.
www.bushmaster.com
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Flyer. I'll look into it. Might not even go that far as the knurling looks way knarly and I just won a 45 slide for my 1911 and a new Smith slide for the ol' 59 to play with for a while. :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is true...hmmm. I seam to recall the 922 rule indicating it had to be able to fire in the folded position. Then again at least I have to reload my mag instead of using my evil bayonet! I wonder if they could get me for having three detachable mags due to the buttstock feature???? :shock: :shock: OK OK I am pinning it on .... do you guys think it would be ok just to use set screws? Or is a roll pin needed? Darn rules!!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think it is considered a folding stock because it can not be fired in the folded position (can't remember where I saw that, but I want to say a BATF letter somewhere).

you are allowed a detachable mag + 1 additional feature (if no detatchable mag, anything goes)

this should clear everything up:
Rifles

Specifically, a rifle is considered an "assault weapon" if it can accept a detachable magazine, and possesses two or more of the following features:

Folding or telescopic stock
Pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the stock
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor or threaded barrel
Grenade launcher

http://www.awbansunset.com/whatis.html

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys! Glad I did not buy that all purpose Grenade/bayonet lug fixture this morning. Just kiddin about that, but that is great info. I think I can live with out the Recoil Reducer or a Flash Suppresser. Sure would have been cool lookin though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
the muzzle brake shouldn't be a problem. As long as it's not a "flash suppresor" then no worries. And there is only one feature anyhow which is the detachable mag. The folding doesn't count as it is unable to shoot like that. More proof that there is only 1 is I was able to buy it in california where we can only have one. Also think that the M4gery's all use the pistol grip, detach. mag, and a muzzle brake to get the barrel to 16". So those in other states could actually get the barrel threaded and have it not be a permant mount of the brake and be just fine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
... Might not even go that far as the knurling looks way knarly ...
It sounds like you left the metal boss from the front sight on the rifle. The plastic sight is molded around the boss which has grooves and knurling on it to help the plastic hold onto the metal boss. This metal boss is then locktited onto the barrel. It is possible to take this boss off and then you would have a nicer surface to work with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm assuming the careful application of heat can be used to break the Loktite bond, or is there a better way? Also, how's the barrel finish under the boss?

thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re:

It sounds like you left the metal boss from the front sight on the rifle.
All I can say is I heated that thing up like you would not believe. It would not break loose. I don't really mind as I used it to attach my Recoil Reducer. I press fit an aluminum RR onto the knurling. Very stable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts