Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had problems with my P-3At at the range today. Upon returning home to clean all of my guns, I noticed what looks like excessive wear in the frame of the P-3AT where the guide rod rests.

I pulled out my P-32 that has many more rounds through it for comparision and you can see from the attached scans, the wear in the P-3AT is more extensive.

Anyone else see this kind of wear in their P-3AT?

My mag release is worn as well -- so much that it drops the mag after each shot. So, I'm back to carrying my trusty lil' P-32. I knew I kept it for a reason -- guess it was feeling a little neglected in the safe anyway...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'm not talking about the rails. Look where the base of the recoil spring guide rod rests into the frame -- just in front of the trigger. The guide rod is distorting the frame upwards and backwards at that point. The P-32 frame shows virtually zero wear in the same area.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep... that doesn't look good.
I'd suggest a frame replacement; I don't know if I'd trust the rod to stay in place during firing.
I dunno... maybe it's time to think about a "buffer" of some sort in the area. I'll stick it in the mental brewery and see if anything comes out.
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to make a small rubber "cap" that fits over the head of the guiderod, or at least fits over the lower 1/2 of it, so that when the rod comes into contact with the frame that it can act like a bushing. Perhaps dipping 1/2 of the head in some of the rubber tool-handle materials (ya know, the liquid rubber stuff to coat pliers and such with). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if a buffer would help -- or is even possible. Taking the top end off and looking at where the base of the guide rod is at rest, any distance of travel is very small -- if any. It is designed to be in contact with the frame at rest.

Mine definitely has unacceptable errosion and will be going to Cocoa for a frame replacement.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine just today came home from FL. and it looks the same as the worn pocket on the one in the picture. I had mentioned that the guild rod slipped off sometimes on assembly, maybe this is why. I have never ran +P through mine as yet, the hottest thing I have used is Golden Saber. They did replace the barrel and slide assembly. Need to put some rounds through it to make sure it works and finely get to carry it, but I have gotten use to the G27 now, maybe not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
wear

Was it from the NAA32 or the 22-380?
I did the 22-380 in a PPKS, broke the ejector and gave up on the project in '82. Have plenty of pressure and velocity data though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts