Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

After spending a great deal of time (not to mention money and patience) attempting to attach various Picatinny rails to the forends at the 3 and 9 positions with varying results (they have to taper out toward the front) I decided to start work on making completely new forends with 3 position (3, 6 and 9) rails already moulded/built-in. The 6 position obviously is split in half down the middle -- not a great feature but it holds together quite nicely somewhat due to the nature of any device that is attached. I also instituted a pin toward the front to assist not dissimilar to the assembly pin that holds the stock in-place (it would work better toward the back but that would involve some serious remodeling work and would I think hamper the attaching of full-length devices). Anyway I'm on my fourth set of rough molds using simple plastics (not a real-world solution yet) as a test and it's looking quite promising.

Now my esteemed friends I'm not always known for considering practicality in my rush to enthusiastically produce ideas, so to that end, am I blindly missing anything real obvious/stupid with this idea? Your thoughts...

(This image is a mock-up of what I'm working toward, not the real deal yet.)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
No real problems I can see...
Of course, you could do away with the bipod feature entirely and simplify the design further.
Then again, the bipod feature is one of the neat things about the SU...
Anyhow, seems like a go, to me! Good luck!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I played around with doing that (trying to keep Picatinny dimensional specs when split isn't easy) at first but couldn't figure out an easy way to attach a non-split forend without running into assembly problems with the existing forend lock. Also I'm not yet producing the recipricating countered mould as I don't have the facilities (or the patience) which makes the functionality of that pure speculation at best. I'll leave the counters on the real version to the pros when I'm ready to green-light.

I really appreciate your encouragement Flyer, thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Stevil,

Instead of splitting the bottom picatinny why not make it attached only to one half of the bi-pod. the other half would need a cutout to allow the pieces to meet but this should simplify the final product. plus you can still open the bi-pod with something attached to the bottom rail.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried that too, it looks like a better approach and that would be okay if you're attaching small light objects, but structurally as a design it is flawed and susceptible to even moderate stresses -- for instance if you want to attach a forend tactical grip or handle that couldn't be accommodated. Also it demands a cut-out in the remaining forend which destabilizes the bipod platform. This design would work in aluminum or steel but unfortunately I cannot produce in those materials.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I would say keep at it Stevil! Most people like the idea of the by pod and the rail system. Sure you can toss it out and just mount a non by pod forearm but you loose that great feature! I like the rail mounted to one side thing. Like I told you already :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love your mock-up and I would slap one of those on my SU-16 in a second. My gut feeling is that there are plenty who would do the same (with or without the split). Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been kinda' covered by the new "Delta" forend, so until I get my hands on one of those to size up the projects been "shelved" (that and I don't have the $1500 to finish up).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Nah buddy I am thinking of the rail being inline with each side and a step or shelve being attached only to one side. Then mounting the bracket to the forearm. I'll try to make some pics up and show you them later. Going to the movies now. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts