Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a target .22LR pistol, 5" or more barrel, any opinions?? There's a dozen models, which one?
(I'd rather xxxx than think about carrying a .22 for personal defense. That's not even an option, not even for a BUG. Target comments only, thanks.)

og

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ruger Mark II Target. Add a red dot scope and golfballs will tremble at the mention of your name. This one is 14 years old or there abouts. It has seen many thousands of rounds and is still percolating with the original springs and mags.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I agree with Edward....go with the Ruger. Mine is a MK1 with the 5.5" bull barrel. I've had it since new in 1979 -- one of the guns in my collection that I'll never sell.

·
Registered
394 Posts
22's

High end: S&W mdl 41 w/ heavy brl., High Standard Citation series, anything from Jim Clark Custom Guns.
Low end: Ruger MKII (steel frame), Browning Buckmark Field Target.
Optics such as Red Dots should be kept LOW to the brl, so get a good mount like 'Jack Weigand'. JW is on the net. There are only 2 red dots IMHO: Tasco Pro Point & Ultra Dot. The Buckmark does not become off balance with a dot added due to it's alloy frame. Others become heavy and muzzle heavy without some pricey custom work. Some models are trickier than others to add a dot and keep the 'feel' right. The Norinco TT-Olympia can also be a good gun, but they are a hit or miss as far as quality. They are also difficult to find. I had one that was a dog. The one I currently own is a keeper. It will shoot on the level of my High Standard and that's saying something. Try to find a 22 Bullseye match close to you when you get set up. I think you'll find it interesting and fun. A High Master can put 10 shots in a dime at 50 feet with a one hand grip. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I've got a Hi-Standard 10X model I got a couple of years before they stopped original production...
That thing's insane. Groups inside half an inch are common at 25 yards with the scope I've got on it....
If you could find a used one, I'd snap it up... but, I agree that the Smith 41 is most likely the best "out of the box" shooter available right now. Great guns!
Flyer

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a Buckmark I like better than my S&W 41, except... Lot's a guys have the Rugers and love'm. They shoot well and seem indestructable. My Browning on the otherhand has an annoying flaw. The slide will not lock open on the last round... Other than that, it's my favorite target .22.

Allan

·
Registered
87 Posts
I picked the Buckmark because after handling both guns the Browning had a much better feel to me. I think they're as different as a 1911 and a Glock in that perspective.
I've owned both and the Buckmark (Camper) is the one I have now and I feel like either gun out of the box will shoot better than most shooters' capability.
The Ruger seems to have more options as far as custom work and aftermarket accessories.
I'd go somewhere that would let me handle them both before I made a choice.

bd

·
Registered
15 Posts
A good reason to get a Ruger would be the support from YZGUY's web pages. The markii.org forum is a good place to hangout although it seldom gets off topic (which may be a good thing) :wink:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've got some kind of old S&W with an 8⅜" barrel. Its like a rifle, I used to shoot bullfrogs and snakes in the head with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hammerli 208, high High StandardCitation,Military, Olympic,Smith & Wesson Straight Line Target Single Shot my fav.K22 masterpeace,tc contender

·
Registered
205 Posts
LOVE my MKII and SoLow mounts (lowest mounts I'm aware of) and ultra dot 4.

and I have a few things about it on my site (well when it is up anway :roll: )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts