Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little Bulgarian wonder has to be the best bargain out there. Reliable and accurate. I put 150 rounds through the thing. I did have one little problem. One time the slide failed to stay open after shooting the last round. Oter than that it functioned flawlessly, and the problem did not repeat itself.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Probably just a little excess packing grease hiding in the slide release caused the lockback...
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Mak!
In my experience the only pistols as reliable out of the box are Glocks.
Flyer

·
Registered
243 Posts
Now you did it, you went and shot it! There is no turning back now, your addicted :D --Welcome to the world of addicted Makarov owners :wink:

MD

·
Registered
64 Posts
One of my bulgie maks has failed to lock the slide back when empty; maybe 4-5 times in about 400rds. It's not my mags (same mags have never done it in my other bulgie).

Hasn't done it in the last few hundred rounds, though. I have a spare slide-stop to try, but I'm not going to swap it until/unless it happens again.

These milsurp Maks are very accurate, ultra-reliable pistols. Neither of mine has ever jammed, and they only get fed cheap Barnaul JHP ammo. The $150 price is just icing on the cake.

EDIT: make sure you disassemble and clean the mags; there's alot of cosmo in there that can slow down the follower, which is what engages the slidestop when empty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with the others that it's likely a little cosmoline causing the slidelock to stick. I know one owner who just kept shooting his, with normal cleaning, until everything loosened up. I don't know how long it took, but he would have been better off doing a complete cleaning at the beginning.

The Mak addict working at the local gun store (he's the one who hooked me) recommended an overnight soak in a solvent solution. I think the recipe for the soak solution is on the Makarov.com website (the guy at the store gave me that web address on his first attempt to hook me).

I prefer a complete disassembly and detail cleaning and lube of each part.

The only problem I have had, is that two of my magazines have a rimlock problem if I load them to full capacity. Loading one less than full capacity has never caused this problem, so I just leave one round out and usually use the other mags.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had taken it appart and soaked it in mineral spirits, and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, so I doubt there was much cosmoline left.

The slide did fail to stay back one more time yesterday, but whatever the cause was it no longer appears to be doing it.

I've put 300 rounds of PS Grand ammo through it so far, and am very happy with it's reliability and accuracy.

I gave it a through cleaning with brake cleaner today and gave it a nice coat of Miltec-1 oil since Miltec was nice enough to send me a sample.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Before I ever took it to the range I took a 5 gallon Homer bucket from Home Depot and drowned my milsurp Mak in gun scrubber. Then I gave it a good coating with Break Free CLP and wiped it down. A little grease on the slide and it was good to go. Never a problem. Welcome to Mak addicts.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts