Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Springfield Micro Compact out to the range today. It rained till mid-afternoon, so I got a late start. This gun had not been broken in, so I was cleaning the bore after every six rounds. I bought a Winchester Value Pack of 230 grn FMJ, one box of Hydro Shok HP 230 grn, and took some reloads that were Rainer Rn 230 grn .

To start, I fired 6 rounds of Winchester Value Pack. POI was just below center and grouped 2 to 4" to the right, when POA was centered. These held a grouping of 4 to 6 inches at around 11 yards (haven't shot much lately, so I'm sure the 4-6 inch grouping was my fault, more than the pistol). I moved POA to left of center, and my groupings starting centering just right of the 10X. On the 2nd mag, I had one FTF on the 3rd round. This was remedied by a slight tap on the floor plate. Shot around 90 rounds, and my groupings started to open up after 7 magazines or so. I realized I was getting tired and my stance was getting sloppy, as was my hold on the gun. Out of curiosity, I ran a magazine of my reloads through, and again had one FTF---When I got home, I got out the calipers, and checked the value pack and my reloads. The Value pack loads OAL measured out (only checked 5), 1.269, 1.268, 1.267, 1.267, and 1.267. My reloads measured out at 1.273 to 1.274 (only checked three, and I didn't save the FTF round, I shot the dumb thing). The Midway loadmap that I used for reference on loading these, was an OAL of 1.275. I should have measured the reload that didn't feed, but this was toward the end of the shooting session, and I didn't think of it. Just tapped the floor plate and shot it. At the end of the session, I loaded the Hydro-Sok (230 grn). The first round on the first magazine had a failure to feed. To my surprise, a slight tap didn't get any results. I had to eject the magazine and rack the slide. I then tried loading 5 rounds instead of the full capacity of six, and had no problems shooting two five round magazines this way. I also noticed that the Hydro Sok's seemed to shoot to POA better than the Winchester FMJ's. By this time, between cleaning the bore every six rounds and shooting, I'd been at it for over a hour and half. It was getting late, and I was tired enough that I no longer trusted my findings (My groupings had again gone to pot).

Next time I go out, I'll try to leave early and set up my shooting seat, and gun rest, and try for more accurate results on the guns capabilities. For a new gun, I was pleased. No bad experiences, and I feel the three FTF are acceptable for a new gun (especially the reload). I only used one magazine for the Hydra Sok's, so more range time/shooting is needed. I cleaned the bore, feed ramp, etc. before I left the range, but before I go out again I'll strip it down and check for unusual wear and give it a thorough cleaning. When this proves itself reliable, I think I'll have my new carry gun.

MD

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The Micro-Size 1911s take a bit of getting used to.
The problems you're having will likely clear themselves up as you become more familiar (and comfortable) with your pistol.
With the Micros, grip consistency is VERY important... we're not talking about limpwristing, but rather that just a tiny difference in the way you hold the gun can make a HUGE difference in where the bullet impacts - or even whether it feeds or not! With practice your hand will "learn" the proper hold and the problems should just float away.
Also, I don't think you need to clean the bore that often. I usually don't clean the bore on a first shooting until I've gone through 25 or so rounds... then don't clean it again until I've finished shooting for the day. That's all the break-in my bores get.
Remember - you're dealing with a huge 'ole chunk of bullet traveling from 7-850 fps here, not a .55 grain .223 round screaming through the bore at 3000+ fps! To be honest, I'm not entirely convinced a 1911 bore really even NEEDS a formal break-in process... unless you WANT to, in which case it definitely won't hurt anything!
Let us know how it goes next time.
Flyer

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured I was probably over doing it on the barrel break in, and had already decided that on the next outing, the cleanings would not be as frequent. I have loved the 1911 every since I bought my Systema Colt a few years back from J.L.D. Enterprises, when they were importing those old beauties. To me, the 1911 is the gun that is the most fun to shoot. There is just something about the gun that you either love or hate. Everything from the grip safety, to carrying "cocked and locked" feels right. When I picked up the Micro Compact, it was love at first sight, and today I couldn't help myself on overdoing the cleaning. This gun is going to be harder to master than it's bigger brother, but gaining competence in mastering a particular gun has never been anything but fun, IF you enjoy shooting that particular gun.

Today, I had no thoughts of going to the range as it was such a rotten day. About three, the clouds started to break and since I now have the OK to drive myself, I took off for the range for the first time by myself. When I got there, the Sheriff Department had the main pistol range, so I ended up on a small range that is just sand and a berm. Sun came out, so I took of the back brace after setting up and stripped down to a T-shirt. I found that taking of the brace and one full pot of strong black coffee before hitting the range, does not make for a steady hand-----I still had a great time. While not happy with my shooting, the shots were good enough for self defense purposes and with practice with this pistol, no doubt I'll improve. Now the fun of working up a reload that will shoot and function well in this pistol. Time to fire up the Dillon, and maybe take out the new Chrony next outing, with some different loads.

MD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts