Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I bought the Wolff extra recoil spring pack that comes with the firing pin springs. I followed Yzguy's instructions on replacing the firing pin spring (not too hard). I noticed however that the firing pin that Yz shows is different than mine. His shows what appears to be a "half circle" at the end where the hammer strikes. Mine is rounded off where the allen screw engages the pin (to hold it in) and then the rest is flat. If you look into the rear of the slide it looks like a half circle staring back at you. My question is this. According to the instructions when I re-inserted the firing pin into the channel, I did it with the flat end up. As I tightend the allen screw it turned the firing pin slightly. Now it appears, as it did before that the half circle is to one side. I guess this is because as you tighten the allen screw it will turn the firing pin slightly. Is this normal. As best I can remember the "half circle" end of the firing pin was "off center" before. I put a A-Zoom snap cap into it and it appears that everything is functioning well.

I also noticed that the old spring apart from being dirty had developed a curve in the end? Could this have contributed to the firing pin dragging across the primers.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
205 Posts
All of my FP's (P-11, P-40, and P-32) look like this:

I think you mean that yours looks like this:

(from here)

there probably is no diference in the designs.... I also doubt the bend in the spring would affect much.

But I don't think the pin should turn in the whole. I'd call kt and get a new fp, and fp set screw first and try that. If it still wants to turn in the whole when you tighten the fp set screw, the hole for the set screw and/or the hole for the fp may not be centered, and will cause the set screw to hit the FP off center, and cause it to twist. (which means you would need a new slide.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would agree, BUT I fired it today and it works great! My firing pin does look like the one in part #24. As I remember, the half circle was a little off center when I got the pistol and I know the original owner so there was no work done to it. Which means that it came from the factory like that. I am inclined to leave it alone as it seems to be working great. Now that the pistol has all new springs by Wolff the pistol is flawless. If it ain't broke.....I ain't gonna try to fix it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called KT and they are sending me a new FP setup. I am going to hold off the replacement for now. I am going to run a few more hundred rounds through it to prove that even with a minor problem that these guns will run without problems. I would even bet that I woun't ever have to replace it becasue of it being off center. I just want an extra set so that if it does happen the down time will be minutes. I did ask if they had any hard chrome slides and they said that they are waiting for them to come in!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The FP on my older stainless P-11 serial # 53xxx does the exact same thing, never thought anything of it until your post. I have fired some 800 rounds through it so far with no problems and I bought it used, so no telling how many rounds have been fired total.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tech and KT seemed a little suprised that there had not been any problems. He did say that the FP was not supposed to sit that way. And again, if I had not wanted to change the FP spring it would not have been an issue. It worked fine since I have had it and my S/N is in the 39XXX range. I went ahead and had him send me a new one just in case. I would imagine that there are a few of us out there. I also noticed that my FP was different from the one that Yzguy had listed in his instructions. I am curious to see what the new one looks like that they sent to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have two P-11s and my newer one serial# 163xxx has the newer FP like yzguys pics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, must have been one of the upgrades that I missed. I wonder what others there were?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I keep my FP set screw pretty tight. I turn it till it bottoms out, then only back it out 1/4 turn, but if it were trying to twist the FP, I'd probably back it out 1/2 turn just to make sure nothing was binding up.

I MIGHT be inclined to try the new FP, FP set screw and FP spring just because but I would not be to overly concerned if it was not causing a problem, and I certainly would not bother with trying to get another slide (again assuming no problems).

It is likely just something slightly off center, causing the FP to want to twist just a bit, but as long as the FP is being held in place, and not hanging up on anything, I don't foresee it causing any problems (part of the beauty of the design, something can be slightly off, and not cause a problem).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yz, that was my feeling. Everything seems to be in good working order. I only ordered one so that if it turns out that it does break that my down time will be minutes instead of days. I am considering trading up to a hard chrome one. However, becasue KT keeps your old one and gives you a new one I am afraid that I might get one with problems. I will probably send it to Jack (forgot his last name) for plating. My pistol works great but DAM the finish is ugly now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts