Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinion of this and the other Military models sold by FEG? I have heard so much both ways but mostly bad. I am a collector and shooter and do not plan to carry any of these in defense of my life. Thanks in advance. I know Cigarman has given good marks on these on other sites. Why are others so dissatisfied?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I shot my Dad's FEG Hi-Power clone a few weeks ago during a trip to North Carolina. Nicely built and good looking gun. Unfortunately, his sights are slightly off. The rear needs to be drifted just slightly to the right. I told him I was buying a Sight adjustment/installation tool for installing night sights on my Glock and would send it to him when I'm done. He can play with it at the range till it's right.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The FEG Hi-Power clone is Hungarian, and it's actually a real Hi-Power.
FN bought parts for several years from them for use in their own...
The FEG version is an EXCELLENT buy.
I believe you're talking about the 9x18 Mak versions of the Walther design mostly, though.
Some of these, quite frankly, are poorly made. Some are great.
In short, I'd like to actually see and handle one before I bought it. You might get one that functions perfectly... or one that won't get through a single magazine without a stoppage.
At any rate, try to get a model with an all-steel frame, instead of some of the two-tone models, most of which are aluminum framed.
Flyer

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am looking forward to trying an FEG HP one day, but my experiences with the PA-63 have been less than stellar. I bought one and it's chamber was so tight that it would not feed. I tried 4 flavors of 9x18 ammo. No luck. I returned it to the shop I bought it from. I know some makarov afficionados that carry them in their pockets instead of the heavier maks. They seem to like them ok but they have all purchased the replacement spring sets from makarov.com that supposedly greatly improve the PA-63's DA trigger pull.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, I have a number of PA-63s and they all feed well and shoot straight.

I carry the P-63 a good deal of the time.

However, THE pistol is the R-61. It is a PPK-sized pistol with 9mm mak power. No bite and reasonable felt recoil. And accurate. My personal fav.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ooooh. I will have to keep my eyes open for a R-61! I am always looking for something small in 9x18 makarov. I recently purchased a "Polish Makarov", a P-64. A great looking gun. Nice fit and finish. DA trigger was the worst ever. The SA was remarkable nice. But THE PROBLEM, was that the frame mounted safety flipped down to safe on every shot. If I had only taken the time to googling this pistol before buying I would have saved myself some time and a 15% restocking fee. I just didn't want to fool with it.

I've noticed that a lot of Makarov owners like Kel-Tecs and vice-versa. Something about a simple, affordable mechanism that you can understand completely. Well, I have met some Mak owners that distrust all plastic guns, but there does seem to be a lot of crossover. I think Kel-Tec is missing the boat if they don't test the P3AT in a 9x18 makarov configuration. The KT P-MAK! Imagine!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry I couldn't have saved you regarding the P-64. I had one of the first 50 that SOG got in. I had that safety problem and reported it on the Makarov forum on Gunboards. One of the other guys got two and the fisr one malfunctioned after the first mag and the second after he shopt about 3 mags. (Mine malfunctioned the first shot, plus the SA trigger would be at about #2 after the safety fell.)

I was lucky, SOG took it back and credited me not only the entire cost including mailing, but also the return mailing.

If someone charged you a restocking fee for a defective gun, they would be off my list. I'd try to get it back based on the fact that many people are having the same problem.

I think the guns imported were bottom of the barrel specimens and the importers were taken. That gun is a regular issue pistol and no similar problems have ever been identified.

I understand that if the safety is removed an a dremel is applied to deepen the safety stop, the gun works fine. However I also understand the no much can be done with the DA.

The story is that one of the designers of the guns is an immensely powerful man and when someone would complain about the DA, he would fire round after round DA to prove it was the fact that the shooter was a wimp.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cigarman,
Please help me out here. I have brought this up here and at Gunboards in the mak forum. You are always supporting these guns and seem to be very knowledgeable. Why do so many others hate these? I want one but I believe Flyer brought up the point that some of these pistols are in very poor condition as far as craftsmanship. I am also looking at the AP 72 which is I believe a .32 cal. gun. Where can I get a good PA 63 speciman? Are there anymore of the R61's available and is the AP 72 worth the 120.00 that Ky Imports is asking? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
SgtB, Sorry I was away a few days and missed your post.

The PA-63 has a tang that tends to bite some people's hands. Criticism is that they "will only last 5000 rounds" and such nonsense. These are not range guns. They are inexpensive and reliable carry guns. You need to clean them up well and lubricate them, replace the hammer spring with a #9 from makarov.com and put on a Hogue grip. Shoot them enough at the range to know what you are shooting at and that is it. I use Barnaul 95 gr hp for carry/practice and Hornady 95 gr hp for carry.

I doubt in a defensive situation you will remember the bite (I got a buck last week and don't remember the sound of the shot and when I go to the range and forget my hearing protectors, my ears ring for hours.)

If you want a range gun, buy a Mak. I love 'em and they are pleasant to shoot, even right out of the box. However, they are not as light or compact as the FEGs, IMHO.

I see where Flyer is coming from, but these are military pistols meant to be used at short range and sre not ergonomically wonders. When you shoot a 9mm mak out of a sub 20 oz pistol it will have high felt recoil.

I read all the time about people who have Keltecs and PA-63s that have ftf and ftf. I am not a mechanical genius, just a guy who can do some basic work and has some degree of logic--sure I'm smarter than the average bear, but you can't think your pistol to work correctly.

I have 5 PA-63s, a R-61, a P-11, a P-11 with both .40 and .357 conversions and did basic cleaning and the F&B I mentioned. No FTF, FTE, etc etc etc from any of them. I bought the one P-11 (a 15XXX serial number from someone and it had a broken trigger--off to KT and nary a problem. One of my conversion kits was difficult to remove and KT replaced it with no problems. I have KT 9mm mags that I tweaked as per directions and they feed .40 and .357 Sig, reliably.

They are available from several of the distributers--try Coles email:[email protected]
They are 190bucks plus S+H
At gunshows I have paid 99-125

As for my positive experiences, maybe I'm lucky and maybe I just follow directions an maybe because I am Hungarian and Czech by birth and my maternal grandfather was a mercenery soldier... I just like them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts