Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, I trashed the plastic pins taking my P32 apart for an F&B. Kel-Tec is sending me another set for free (along with some other parts.) However, I don't want to keep tearing them up and replacing them every time I take the gun apart for inspection. This probably won't be often, but it will happen.

I did a little experiment today. After making a jig to help keep the gun steady while knocking the pins out, I shoved chuck end of a 5/32 drill bit into the hole. With a little force, it went in and is in enough that I can't pull it out with my hands. Some light tapping and they came out. I would have to range test of course but this would almost certainly ruin a bit or two when they were cut down. Before I go forward, a few questions:

1. Are the pins plastic for any reason other than price and weight?

2. Would pushing metal pins into those holes and shooting the gun have any effect on the grip or aluminum guts?

3. Are the pins plastic to allow flexing of the aluminum block inside the grip? Or are they supposed to hold it stationary?

4. I chose 5/32 because a 1/8 punch is used to take the pins out, and I figured 1/32 more was about right to keep the pin in. Sound about right?

5. Is it even worth it? Those pins aren't expensive, but if metal ones stay they would last forever.

·
Registered
205 Posts
the problem with metal press fit pins, is that when they go in and out something will wear. Because it is steel against plastic (grip) and aluminum (frame), the steel will win, and the frame and grip will eventually loose. Which means that those holes will eventually enlarge.

If you were to constantly remove the plastic pins, the worst that will happen is that you wear the pins out, and have to get new ones, much easier than getting a new frame because the pin holes are to big.

Also remember that KT sells the belt clip which replaces the plastic pins with metal ones. The problem is that the screws that hold them in must be held in with loc-tite or something, because they will work loose. That and if you try to use them without the clip installed, they are a tad to wide for the frame (but that won't hurt anything).

So no using metal pins should not hurt anything (after all the belt clip uses them) but I would not use "press fit" metal pins. For a while I was trying to think of a better way to hold in metal frame pins (like C clips inside the grip that you have to remove with the slide off) but then realized I was looking for a solution to a non-existent problem.

Just make sure you trim off any excess flashing from the new pins, and maybe smooth them a bit, and they should be able to be pushed in and out many times.

on a side note, if you remove the frame, take an oversized drill bit and turn it by hand in the frame pin holes to take off the sharp edge. This will keep them from digging into the plastic pins, and make them last much longer. I am still using my original pins, and see no reason to change them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What YZ said.

After you've smoothed the plastic pins, if they're still too tight a fit, put them in your freezer for an hour or so. The cold will slightly shrink them. No joke ----

Reminds me of the time my wife came home and found the downpipe for a turbocharger in the freezer -----

BIGIRON

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yo BIGIRON,
Reminds me of the time my wife came home and found the downpipe for a turbocharger in the freezer
The purpose of the helmet in your Avatar is gradually becoming clear... :drink:
Flyer

·
Registered
190 Posts
Flyer --
Here I am laid up with a bad back and you've caused me additional injury from uncontrollable laughter.

Norfdet --
Huh?

BIGIRON

·
Registered
345 Posts
OT - fixing a boo-boo

regarding freezing the pins; My dad used to work in a machine shop. Occasionally a hole would be drilled in the wrong position. What to do? Select a pin .002" bigger than the errant hole. Freeze it. Apply heat to the screwed up piece. Drop the frozen pin into the heated hole slick as can be. When everything comes back to the same temperature the pin will effectively be part of the original piece. It won't turn, slide or ever move; or so he told me oh so many years ago.

Allan

·
Registered
205 Posts
if you freeze them, sure they will go in, but then getting them out will be difficult.... if they were still tight I'd just do a touch more smoothing to the pins until they can go in with a tap.

Now mine are looser than they were new (been in and out many times) and I can push them out by hand (with a punch) but have NEVER budged when firing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.