Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a Ruger GP 100 6" in the near future. What specific revolvers have you come to know and love? (or are insanely reliable?)

·
Registered
83 Posts
S&W model 66 with 3 inch barrel. This barrel length was rare until recently. I think the 3 inch barrel is the perfect compromise in concealment and performance. I would not trade this gun for anything.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I assume that we are talking "favorite" in terms of a concealed carry piece? I have other favorites for different purposes (such as the old model Ruger Bearcat as a campsite gun), but for a concealable personal defense revolver -- it has to be this:

The old model Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special in stainless steel. Small, light, corrosion resistant, 3" barrel -- and powerful. Loaded with the Gold Dots as pictured, this is a formidable defensive revolver.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Amen to the Charter. Mine is blue from the early 70's. Been my trusted hiking, b'packing,and camping piece. Usually load with 2 shot and 3 Silvertips. It has put quite a bit of meat in the pot and assured peaceful sleep many times.

Also M63 S&W (stainless 22/32 Kit gun) is just so sweet.

BIGIRON

G

·
Although this is not my pistol, I have one just like it and it has to be my favorite. Lightweight, concealable, and rated for +p. This revolver served me well as a travel gun until I discovered the Kel-Tec's. Now it is reserved for my wife and stays as a safe queen.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re:

SgtB said:
S&W model 66 with 3 inch barrel. This barrel length was rare until recently. I think the 3 inch barrel is the perfect compromise in concealment and performance. I would not trade this gun for anything.
I'd sure like to get a 3" Model 66 one day. I have a Model 66 4", my first revolver, sure like it a lot. A 3" barrel is just the right size though. I got my wife a S&W Lady Smith 65LS. It has a shrouded 3" barrel. A fine piece.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Model 66

My favorite revolver that I own is a Smith and Wesson Model 66-1 first generation, stainless steel, 6 inch barrel, recessed charge holes, factory wooden target grips, adjustable trigger pull.

For conceald carry, I own several 38 specials, but I have a Smith and Wesson model 60 in 38 special that I really like!, they now make the model 60 in 357 magnum.
But the model 60 that I have is stainless steel, 5 shot, J frame and looks just like the Cheiff;s model 37 but its not.

$800 Box

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Of course you guys know I can't overlook my favorite "new" revolver!!

Just came back from the S&W Performance Center -- to correct a nasty habit it had of two round bursts from a single pull of the trigger...but that's a different story (I can proudly say I'm the first to fire the 500 S&W Magnum in "full auto" mode... :shock: )

This is a fun gun to shoot and it always turns heads at the range. Actually, it has driven a few fellow shooters to leave the pistol firing line and go over to the rifle range because of the retort. Even had one guy complain to the rangemaster that I shouldn't be able to shoot it on the pistol range...

I am anxious to bag my first trophy Boar with it down in the Everglades soon....will of course produce pics of the beast before it makes it to the smoker grill! :D

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well...
Since I don't use revolvers for defensive use, I'd have to base my choice on which one I simply like "shooting" the most...
And I believe I'd have to go with the Colt Diamondback .22. It looks like a Python, only built on the smaller D-frame of the Detective Special.
With it's six-inch barrel it's WAY more accurate than I can shoot... and it's right pretty, to boot!
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
flyandscuba,

The topic was Favorite Revolvers, NOT howitzers!

That is one powerful gun! Too powerful! I will stick with the Smith and Wesson 629, 44 magnum.

I have never held one of those before but looked at the ammo in a gun store one time, I forget the brand but it was a solid copper hollow point, I could almost stick my little finger in the cavity it was so large.

I would like to shoot one though, bet that thing really rattles your bones, Really nice weapon!

$800 Box

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Actually, because of the gun's weight -- and the effective grip & compensator design, it is more pleasant to shoot that a non-compensated 4" .44 Magnum. It gives you more of a "push" than a recoil jump.

Here is a good write-up on the design innovations:

http://popularmechanics.com/outdoors/firearms/2003/9/top_gun/print.phtml

Below is a comparison photo of cartridges with the impressive muzzle blast in the background...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: Model 66

diamondmike said:
diamondmike said:
The 32 Long was the first gun the Columbus Ohio Police ever used.

I have a Harrington and Richardson rev. with a 21/2 inch barrel, I have had it for years, the last time I bought any 32 Long ammo it costed like $1200 for remington, they also have a 32 short that can be fired from the 32 Long.
$800 a box, that ain't nothing! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

flyandscuba said:
Just came back from the S&W Performance Center -- to correct a nasty habit it had of two round bursts from a single pull of the trigger...but that's a different story (I can proudly say I'm the first to fire the 500 S&W Magnum in "full auto" mode... :shock: )
I would like to know more on how a revolver went full auto. Was it because of some arcane inner workings of the new frame size? Or did the recoil cause the trigger to rotate the cylinder via inertia? I have held the same gun with an unmodified barrel and it is huge! I can believe almost anything with that monster.

BTW that gun is disqualified for this posting IMHO :) anything that has a HUD and requires a gun crew is not a revolver; it is mobile artillery. :wink:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That 500magnum is a pretty big gun. I wonder what you would hunt with that, then I read that article and I thought T-rex would flee if he saw that

I have a charter arms .38 special undercover model. That is the only revolver I have now

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Gun Nut,

Something like that...

Evidently, the cylinder stop would give during firing/recoil, allowing the cylinder to rotate to the next round -- while the hammer still had the firing pin exposed during the recoil phase.

It happened to me three times -- the last leaving a nice little cut above my left eye from where the sight made contact with my shooting glasses... Needless to say, the girl at the range counter freaked out went I went to the restroom to get some paper towels to control the bleeding (facial cuts bleed ALOT) -- she thought I had been shot! :shock:

The recoil isn't uncontrollable when firing this pistol -- but TWO .50 cal bullets with 2600 ft/lbs. of energy coming out of the barrel within a fraction of a second is a different story!

So, I got a new hammer, cylinder stop, and cylinder stop spring installed under warranty by S&W. They didn't comment if they were able to reproduce the event.

Tell me I'm not gonna flinch the first time I take it back to the range...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Fly&scubba

Your not gonna flinch the first time you take it back to the range...

But the range girl might HEHE
Now I really want to shoot one. I have a 7mm-08 in a lightened XP-100 that probably kicks more but it is a one shot affair. First time I shot it the scope hit my glasses. If I buy one of the 500 S&W (read when) it will be the shortest tube I can find. What can I say I like the bang. How does the scope hold up to the recoil?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Recoil = a 4 Bore rifle.
The one I shot used nearly a quarter-pound of black powder in each cartridge...
From a solid benchrest, I sent SEVERAL OUNCES of lead downrange... once.
My glasses flew off, my earmuffs clapped over my eyes and nose, and I flew backwards off the bench seat and onto my butt, then my back.
NEVER AGAIN.
Flyer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.