Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I finally had some time on Saturday (wife out picking berries & the baby quietly napping) to install all of the Kel-Tec accessories I had recently ordered for my Glock-magged SUB2000. I've had them collecting dust in my "office" (what my wife urges me to call my dedicated gun room in case curious/unfriendly ears are around - probably a more sensible idea than I give her credit for :oops: ) for quite a while now & just haven't had the time to do anything with them.

I decided the first thing I'd tackle would be the factory scope mount. It comes with it's own new pre-cut set of handguards (so you don't have to cut your original to accommodate the scope mount), so the first order of business was to drill two small holes in the right handguard to accommodate the Streamlight M3 mount I already had installed on my original right handguard. Even though I had ordered the factory under-barrel picatinny rail, I wanted to mount a laser on that & still be able to use an M3 on the outboard side of the weapon (where I usually mount an M3 on a longarm).

That done, I installed the mount as directed in the instructions & mounted a small Tasco ProPoint red-dot sight (I had bought several of these years ago at a really good price & still had a few unused). The unit shifted to one side (to allow folding the weapon) and returned upright under spring tension, as designed. However, I didn't realize until I had it installed that the factory scope mount would interfere with the use of the iron sights - I guess I just assumed that it would a high-rise/see-under set-up. Furthermore, because the ProPoint is so small the iron sights actually interfered with the red-dot. (FTR, I suspect that a conventional scope would work fine [you might have to remove the rear sight???], but I believe a red-dot will be of more use to me on the SUB2000 than a conventional scope would be - I consider it a "split the difference" weapon that has more reach than my 9mm handguns but from which I don't expect "true-rifle" range & accuracy. Even on some of my ARs & AKs, I find a red-dot very useful for rapid target acquisition at short-to-medium rages.)

The incompatibility of the set-up for my intended purposes, combined with what I read here in the forum in a another thread regarding the unit not returning to zero when deployed, led me to a somewhat radical decision (for me, anyway, as I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer & usually use things as directed/intended or not at all - someone else here may have reached the same solution I did, but I haven't read about it). I disassembled what I had just assembled & started over again from scratch. This time, however, I omitted the spring & its little retaining collar and installed the mount in a fixed position - instead of leaving it loose enough to rotate around the barrel I tightened it own permanently in the outward position (so the SUB2000 can still fold). Shouldering the weapon conventionally, I can use the open sights just fine. Shouldering with a "high tactical hold" (a la M4 for CQB) & a slight offset, I can keep both eyes open & use the red-dot (I have used a similar hold & offset red-dot on one of my AR carbines before, so this is not "unnatural" to me).

When reassembling the handguards I replaced the plastic "gap-filler" with the new metal factory rail I had ordered - a good, tight fit that felt very secure. Onto that rail I mounted a Tasco LaserPoint visible laser unit (another leftover from a long-ago multiple purchase - I don't think they even make them anymore, but I thought it "went well with" the ProPoint :wink: ). I then installed the factory sling (I really like this accessory - allows comfortable "low ready" carry with the SUB2000 deployed & slings comfortably back & out of the way when the weapon is folded). Finally, I added the factory stock extension - I don't think my wife needs one for her SUB9, but I'm 6'3" & it is a welcome addition to my SUB2000.

(continued below...)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(continued - I didn't even realize there was a post-size-limit :oops: )

I haven't had a chance to sight in the red-dot or laser yet, but I'm pretty happy with all of the new accessories. I believe the Arfcom photo server is back up & running now, so I'll try to shoot some pictures of this set-up tonight & post them tomorrow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks pretty hard core there, Hard Shell! :D I like how the mount sits, I could easily shoot such a system using the 'high ready position'. I might have to consider doing a similar setup, when I get up the $ to do so! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts