Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry my P-11 using the beltclip method and everytime I turn around I need to field strip it to clean the fabric dust out of the hammer slot area in the slide.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent fuze/dust from collecting in this area??

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well...
Every night (or morning) between regularly scheduled cleanings, go over it carefully and check the suspect areas, and use a toothbrush to lightly brush away dust and lint, then finish with a rubdown by a good gun cloth.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K-Mart

All the K-Mart stores in my area went out of business so I had to go to Wal-Mart!

Seriously though, I like to wear 100% cotton and I can see where enough of this build-up might cause problems.

·
Registered
205 Posts
get a small can of compressed air from an office supply store. They are used to clean key boards and electronics. Then blow the stuff out the back of it once in a while. If you blow it out with your mouth, you will add moisture to it. The canned stuff is specifically designed to not do that.

or you could just not worry about it. I purposely let it build up on my P-32 and P-11 once and took them to the range to test them with my carry mag and ammo (just pulled them out, pocket lint and all) and did not have any problems. The majority of the lint is on the BACK of the hammer, and kept out of the inner workings by the hammer, and does not affect anything.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Also, at tool stores (i know Harbor Freight tools for sure) you can buy a REFILLABLE spray can that you fill up with compressed air. takes up to like 90 psi i think. use it over and over!

·
Registered
205 Posts
can you put something inside that refillable can? If you could put some sort of desiccant in there, it would be a great little thing to have (best to get out as much humidity as possible). Even if not, still not bad.....

edit:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1102

looks like some desiccant in a piece of nylons with a knot tied in it, in the bottom of this would work out quite nicely.

·
Registered
519 Posts
just air and liquid that i know of

·
Registered
205 Posts
yeah, but it looks like you can unscrew the top to put in the liquid. Then you just put in what ever you want, and since we don't actually want to spray liquid, we can drop in something to soak up moisture. I'd just put it in a small breathable bag, like nylons to make sure it did not get sucked up when I was spraying air. :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
ooohhh i get ya now. yeah its been so long since i used mine i forgot about that. now, if you filled it up using a compressor that had an inline water seperator, would you haveta worry about it? would water still develop in the canister?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Hahahahaha......
Seems to me this thread was about Lint, basically...
Now we're talkin' Nitrogen freezin' off our pinkies!!!
(Tis cool, F&S, I know what you're talkin' about...)
This reminds me of another famous "Pocket Lint" thread long ago in a forum far, far away...
Ahem... sorry.
Please, continue!!! 8)
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Ah, a discussion on lint. Takes me back to when I was just a little tyke playing in the once hallowed halls of KTOG (now known as the Haunted Mansion) and posting about my experiences with pocket lint. The solution is - shoot your gun more dagnabbit, at least once a week, and clean it when you get home.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Alas,
The original pocket lint thread is no longer with us, having been toasted by trolls, but I do have this to share from 05-07-2003:
I hear ya bro, and you have my support.
Jim,
Sorry I missed the party here, but I know where you're coming from. I've had the same dismal perfection out of my P-11 for the last 800 rounds or so. Nothing to complain about, and no real advice to ask for except what to do about pocket lint. I tried leaving it out in the rain, then stopped cleaning it after going to the range, and the dang (is dang allowed?) thing still works. If the folks at Kel-Tec don't start doing something quick about this fiasco we'll soon be swapping recipes instead of tech talk. I have to admit that I finally got so depressed I went and bought a Hi-Point carbine, and "dagnabbit" (Elmer Fudd - a gun toting legend) if it doesn't work too. I'm at the end of my rope. Maybe we could all go on Oprah and talk about it as a group. Regards, Keys
As you can see, discussions about lint are as perennial as the grass.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
205 Posts
ooohhh i get ya now. yeah its been so long since i used mine i forgot about that. now, if you filled it up using a compressor that had an inline water seperator, would you haveta worry about it? would water still develop in the canister?
yeah, the water traps get out the big drops of water, but there will still be humidity (and for that matter constantly high humidity if there is water in that trap). It is really probably not even that big of a deal, I'm just being anal....

·
Registered
519 Posts
dont worry.. just ask my wife, im the king of being anal. all the tv remotes haveta be lined up perfectly, everything has its place and i hate it when things get moved.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts