Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever heard of a Ruger going KaBoom? As in Glock KaBoom.

G

·
Seen a couple of Smith and Colt revolvers blow the cylinder and top stap. That was becasue do-it-yourselfers loaded their own ammo too hot. Also saw a buddy of mine blow up his Dan Wesson revolver. I used to work part time at a gun range about 12 years ago. I thought that I had seen it all until some of the joker came in.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Sound of door banging open after running footsteps...
YO!
The ONLY reason a Glock EVER went Ka-boom, a term I cordially detest, is because their idiot owners insisted on shooting lead bullets through them.
Glocks RULE! Well, for their particular niche, they rule.
Slamm!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I thought what contributed to the Glock failures was chambers that aren't fully supported -- especially in the .40S&W?

The polygonal rifling of the Glock and lead bullets don't mix? I know my HK P7s have polygonal rifling too -- but it is the gas operated piston that gets clogged from the lead -- hence, no lead bullets for the HK P7s (per the manual).

If it's the rifling, I might have concern with the ol' trusty hand cannon (shipped to S&W's warranty department today for "automatic fire") as it appears to have polygonal rifling -- and Cor-bon offers a 440gr Cast Lead cartridge in the 500 S&W.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
What contributed most to the notorious Glock .40 kaboom factor is reloaders, not necessarily using lead bullets, but pushing the limit of an already hot load way beyond its maximum tolerances.

9 times out of 9 a Glock .40 failure is traced to reloads... not lead.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Clarification:
Glock reloaders using lead bullets in unsafe loads contributed to the vast majority of the K*****s.
Remember, the .40 is a strange caliber... lead bullets even in normal pressure can be unsafe in a Glock because the inadvertent "safety valve" effect grooved rifling provides for escaping gas is not present. Couple this with the far greater bullet bore contact area vs. the 9mm, and you're courting trouble.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
So, I'll DEFINITELY not use LEAD RELOADS in the 500 S&W Magnum with the polygonal bore....

Speaking of lead bullets...

How about copper plated lead bullets? I bought a bunch of 9mm ammo years ago that have copper plated (not jacketed)bullets. Ok to use these in non-Glock, non-HK firearms?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But have you ever heard of a Ruger Kaboom? :?:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I seen a Ruger Redhawk with an exploded cyclinder at my local gunshop, they said the shooter had injury to one finger and face.
Every gun in the world will/can !kb at one point or another, it's a fact of life.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Never saw a Ruger Kaboom first hand. I have seen a few kabooms though. I saw a Remington 760 pump gun blow up once. And I had a Colt Double Eagle in 10mm blow up on me. It wasnt my gun and was having "extract/ ejection" problems as stated by a friend. I was shooting the gun to see what it was doing wrong. As most of you know the 10mm head spaces off the case mouth. Well the barrel was either worn out or "altered" and the cycled rounds were jamming into the chamber too far causing the extraction problems. I was just the lucky guy that got the kaboom. It wasnt a real bad one - blew the magazine out, blew the left grip panel off, and busted up a few parts - the barrel was already a lost case I guess. Scared me worse than anything. Wear yer ears and eyes at all times!

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Can somebody get the #*@#&' s at GlockTalk to let me register at their
*$&*#[email protected] site?
Oh, unsupported chambers!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I'm warnin' ya varmint.....

UNsupported chambers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honest Flyer, I'm not trying to piss you off but I'm gonna go with unsupported chambers. But should you go out this weekend and buy an XD40, I'll feel more secure knowing that you are safe from KB's since the chamber of an XD40 is fully supported. Safe shooting!

Your new best friend,
Tater

1 - 20 of 48 Posts