Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While recently converting all of my P-32 magazines to the Plus 1 configuration, I began thinking about what to do with the issue of being able to work with the shorter JHP ammunition like the WW Silvertips, or Cor-Bon's loading. Since the factory rim lock prevention kit doesn't work for Plus 1 modified magazines, the only other choice that I knew of was the Flyer Wire. I worked with installing one of these for a Plus One modified magazine. While it seemed to work well, I couldn't help but think that there might be an easier way to do this. While sitting at my desk, I was looking over one of the factory rim lock preventor kits that I had on hand. When I noticed the modified follower that had the notch cut in it, I thought that there had to be some way of taking advantage of that. It occurred to me that a magnetic strip would work as a spacer for the shorter JHP rounds. So, I purchased some magnetized rubber and cut it to fit. A few careful measurements and cutting, and I had a small strip of magnet that I placed along the back side of the magazine so that the notched follower from the kit would clear it. The size that I am currently using for the strips that I cut are 3/16" wide, 3 5/16" long, and 1/16" thick.

I made a mad dash to the range in between rain storms and did some test firing with Silvertip and Cor-Bon. Due to weather conditions, I only had time to run about six magazine loads through the P-32. The results were mixed.

First, the good news - absolutely no rim lock. Admittedly, I would like to do more test firing, but this is very promising.

The bad news is that I can only load seven rounds in the Plus 1 modified magazine, which is telling me that there is some problem with spring compression being limited by the magnetic strip. This is an assumption. I have not proven this to be the case.

At this time, I am planning on working further on this project. It is definitely a work in progress. It seems to offer some promise, plus the added benefit of having a magazine modification that can be undone at a moment's notice to allow for the use of FMJ ammunition, like the Flyer Wire. I thought that other P-32 owners might be interested in this project.

FWIW,

emc

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
emc,
Interesting mod!
I've used the FlyerWire on all P-32 mags, including the factory extended ones (don't ask how!), since the bases don't detach. They all worked fine.
I've never seen one of the factory spacer kits, so I'm only picturing it in my mind. Sounds like a sound idea, though.
Keep us posted!
Flyer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent suggestion, Yzguy!!! I hadn't thought to check the follower. Hmmmm....I think I will look at the various edges on the lower portion of the follower and see what sort of difference that happens to make, and whether they need to be rounded off. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll also try to get some digital photos taken (don't have a digital camera, though) and let others KTrangers see what this mod looks like.

FWIW,

emc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am waiting on five boxes of Cor-Bon to arrive, and have already gotten around 4 to six boxes of Winchester Silvertip, also. I have also ordered another 7 round magazine, and will modify that, so that I have three separate magazines to work with. Once I have the opportunity to debug the issue of full magazine capacity with the Plus 1 modification, I have some serious quantities of ammo to shoot for function. I'm hoping to do so this weekend, and will post the results once it's possible to get to the range.

FWIW,

Ed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I had the opportunity to take the P-32 to the range and try out two modified magazines with WW Silvertip and Cor-Bon. I shot about half a box of Silvertip and two boxes of Cor-Bon. There was no rimlock of any sort for either magazine for either ammo type. Also, it was possible to load the Plus One magazines with the full eight round capacity. The binding occurring earlier was apparently an anomaly. So, at this point, I would have to say that the modified magazines are a success.

The only malfunctions were some failure to extracts with the Cor-Bon, which I don't believe would be magazine related. Since I had also replaced the recoil spring with the heavier duty Wolff springs that are recommended, I would suspect that there is a link of some sort with this. The Silvertips functioned very nicely.

FWIW,

emc

·
Registered
274 Posts
EMC,

Did you use the kind of flexible magnets that are used to stick things to refrigerator doors? I have several from Pizza Hut, the local realtor (with a calender) and such. They seem to be about 1/16th of an inch thick. Seems like a really elegant mod.

CA

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The magnetic material is the same, but what I used was a roll of the magnetized rubber material that I happened to have lying around. I made use of the factory rim lock prevention kit due to it having the follower already cut for a spacer, and the fact that I already had one on hand. For people who are more enterprising than me, a few minutes with the good old Dremel tool would allow you to do the same thing with a factory follower. I didn't think that I could do it as nicely as the factory, and I'm all for a nice neat appearance!

Hope this helps!

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts