Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the most recent Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, I was really excited to see an article on the EAA Witness 10mm. I have always wanted a 10mm, especially a Smith and Wesson. Since Smith doesn't produce 10mm semi-autos anymore I thought this one was interesting, especially for the price. I was disappointed to see that it got less than a favorable article. Disappointing since I would have probably gone out and found one tomorrow if it seemed that it was worth it. Maybe EAA will see this article and make some improvements.

p.s. if anyone has a Smith 10mm or 45 that they are considering parting with, I would be willing to come off of a P11 with several hi-cap mags and a P32 in trade.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
How 'bout the the King of 10mms, the Glock 20?
16 rounds of full-power 10mm loads... were I to know I'd get stuck in Bear country or similiar situation, THIS is the puppy I'd have at my hip. Probably the most awesome defense handgun, pound for pound, on the planet.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I shot an EAA Witness in 10mm the other day at the range. One of my old Life Flight crewmembers had talked a current flight nurse into buying one.

The recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The slide/frame fit was rough and the rear sight seemed very high to me.

But for the $300 he paid for it -- I felt it was an OK gun.

·
Registered
321 Posts
the review for the 10mm witness was the worst review i have ever read in a gunmag, but he blamed the stoppages on his grip-- what a load of crap.... these guys blow my mind....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tan-10 Performance

I shoot a $300.00 Tanfogio 10mm Compact in WonderFinish.

I purchased a .40 cal. bbl for it from Savvysurvivor.com so that ammo for practice wouldn't bankrupt me.

After tuning the mags - to feed out and up vs. up and out - my Witness has been failure-free in both 10mm and .40 Cal. modes. It doesn't tolerate limp-wristing, but the recoil is entirely managable.

My neighbor on the west shoots a Kimber .45 and it's a POS. For the money that Charley's spent on purchase, repair and customization, he coulda bought four Tan-10s and actually had a gun that he could actually enjoy at the range.

Don, my neightbor on the east shoots a Colt. It's seen more than it's fair share of time at the gunsmith's.

They rag on me, but my gun has 8,000+ rounds through it in both 10mm and .40 Cal. and theirs can't seem to go a box without having something break, jam or malfunction.

Price and name-brand don't always mean quality, and inexpensive doesn't always mean cheap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just bought a Smith and Wesson 1076 10mm. In my opinion this was by far one of the best series of 10mm pistols ever built, probably #2 with the short lived Bren Ten being #1. Since Bren's run upwards of 1,500.00 the 350.00 that I spent for mine was well worth it. I am sure that this will be a regular winter carry piece. I too was somewhat disappointed in the review that the Witness 10mm received. I see that there appears to be 2 Witness 10mm. One seems to be an all steel frame and the other was the one that was reviewed that appeared to be polymer. Maybe the polymer one has inherent problems that the all steel one does not. (I was not aware that there were 2 models.) If the Smith that I purchased measures up to everything that I have read, I am sure that I will be kicking myself as to why I did not buy one sooner.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
I just bought a Smith and Wesson 1076 10mm. In my opinion this was by far one of the best series of 10mm pistols ever built, probably #2 with the short lived Bren Ten being #1.
I concur whole heartedly on the #1 and #2 best 10mms. Colts 10mm is #3 and Glock is in at #4 IMHO.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Hmm... gotta disagree with the order of the list, here...
I agree that the Smith is very near the top. I love my 1006, preferring an all-steel gun, and stainless, to boot.
The Delta Elite is nice, too.
But, I've gotta give the Glock 20 the No. 1 spot. It was BUILT to handle the 10mm... and if you've ever shot one side-by-side with a Colt or Smith with full-house loads the difference will immediately become apparent. You can fire the Glock and re-aquire the target rapidly; the other pistols are busily pointing at the Sun and you've got to yank them back down.
With the 1911-style 10mms battering is the norm rather than the exception. The Smith handles it a bit better than the 1911, mainly because of the slight difference in it's locking system and additional frame rail length.
The Bren Ten is NOT high on my list, either. Based on the CZ-75, but beefed up to handle the cartridge, shooting this pistol is NOT the sensory equivalent of a date with Miss USA.
The bore sits so high the gun displays an alarming desire to plant it's front sight squarely between your eyebrows. Add the fact you had to MAKE you own mags for the darn thing, and it goes way down the list... although I WILL admit workmanship and overall looks are excellent.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have shot one mag of 10s in a Smith and 2 rounds out of a Glock. I did not perceive a big recoil difference, but I admit to a BIG bias against Glocks in general. I promised not to say anything negative on this list towards Glocks and hold to that. Of the Glocks I would take the small fry 10 with 17 round high caps as back up to the stock 10. That is if I had to go with a Glock. The lines and feel of the 1076 with its sig style decocker and smith trigger can not be beat. I hold my 1st gen framed/2gen slide model 59 and can not conceive of a better full size gun, except for one with a bigger bang! I still hold the KT P-357 to be the best CCW carry piece in existence, but to each his own.

BTW I am currently trying for all my meager ability to talk my uncle out of his Taurus PT100 AFD in 40. This gun just feels good. No I would not carry it unless it was in an open holster as it is to "big", but as a house gun with 12 rounds of 40S&Ws it rocks. Like I need another house gun huh? :twisted:

·
Registered
321 Posts
norf,
i looked at one of those smiths- is that the one with the bobbed hammer and single-stack mag? I had a beretta 92 that SUCKED! and i was looking for a trade. i passed on the smith, even though the trigger was better then the 2nd gen 5904 9mm i had(with 2 hi caps- why did i sell that one?) I ended up getting a sucker...er, buddy of mine to gimme $400.00 for the 92 and bought a Kimber. In hindsight, i should have saved up for that series 70 lightweight combat commander. Stupid, stupid, stupid! :rant:
Anyway, im looking at a compact witness in 9mm for about $300.00, not a bad deal, and it has hi caps!

PS: if i was a troll, i would say, " Glocks Rule, Berettas Suk," and sit back and watch the flames :twisted: BTW, i like berettas.... but not as much as glocks :D

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I dunno... one of the admins here is of the opinion the Beretta 92-F is the best full-sized 9mm out there... saying it sucked COULD make you seem trollish in his eyes!
Wonder who that could be?
Hmm.... 8)
Flyer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shot my 10mm today and yes, it is the single stack Smith and Wesson with the bobbed hammer and the decocker that is on the side of the grip. With a 200gr PMC bullet it had less recoil than some of my 40's. I was very pleased and look forward to carrying this weapon. I would say that if you have 300.00 to spend, add a little to it and get a Smith 1076 while supplies last. This is truly an underestimated pistol........I am on the hunt now for other Smith and Wesson 10mm's they are rare but they are out there.

Pictured is the model that I have. Mine has a little more holster wear than this one does. I am in the process of looking for someone to do some refinishing work on mine. Saw a pic of a black one on the Bren Ten.com page and it looks sweet.

p.s. as a side note, the PMC 170gr jhp round leaves the muzzle at 1200 fps with 561 fpe. At 100 yards it is still traveling at over 900 fps. It seems like a very impressive round and much better (on paper) than the hydra-shock and PMC starfire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks GN, it shoots soooooo swweeeeeettttt......in comparison my Glock 33 was much more unpleasant to shoot than this was, so is a Scandium 38 and a Scandium 357. It falls somewhere along the lines of a Glock 27 with 165gr loads but there is a HUGH fireball coming out of the end. Also supposed to be very accurate. Next week I will be out at Blackwater in North Carolina so I will "wring" it out on steel 8" pie plates out to 75 yards. I'll post a range report.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Norfdet,

Do check out that link that Gun-Nut posted. That pistol would look SO sweet in purple!

CA

OK, maybe black is better. Sure is a nice looking gun, about the nicest S+W I've seen. So many of them are clunky and "top heavy" to look at. This one has great lines.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re:

CA-guy said:
Sure is a nice looking gun, about the nicest S+W I've seen. So many of them are clunky and "top heavy" to look at. This one has great lines.
I have had and carried alot of Smith and Wesson pistols over the years and this is one of the better balanced ones that I have owned. I realized years ago that IMHO the best pistols that Smith and Wesson made were the single stack ones.

·
Registered
321 Posts
just saw a 1970's vintage model 59 at Carter's Country that had about 98% of its blue left. IMO, s&w blueing in that era was just about the nicest stuff i've ever seen, even though the colts of that era weren't too bad themselves....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
depending on the price you should consider picking that classic up. The older the Smith's the nicer they are and from a collectors standpoint they seem to hold their value.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
depending on the price you should consider picking that classic up.
Now Norf you know that is not correct. He should pick that one up and send it to me for evaluation then forget about it. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts