Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual for the P-3AT cautions against dry firing. (I am assuming without snap caps.) Should I believe the manual or is this cover your behind because lightning might strike type of wording?

Puzzled,
Tangram

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Believe the manual. Get yourself something cheap of the local shop counter for the time being but eventually get some nice A-Zooms... they're machined aluminum and you'll never see a broken nose with a spring protruding from it with loose pieces of broken snap cap rattling around inside your gun.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/azoom/

·
Registered
372 Posts
Tangram said:
The manual for the P-3AT cautions against dry firing. (I am assuming without snap caps.) Should I believe the manual or is this cover your behind because lightning might strike type of wording?

Puzzled,
Tangram

Yup. Every time I forget to count my shots, since the P-3AT does not have a slide lock.

So, instead of ... bang, bang, lock

It's ... bang, bang, click :oops:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Most of the time the manual is lying about dry-firing, unless it's a .22 rimfire.
Not this time, though!
The Kel-Tec pistols use a unique firing system with a lightweight firing pin that travels at nearly the speed of light.
This speed results in a TON of kinetic energy that'll devastate your firing pin and firing pin hole without a cartridge present... eventually crystalizing both.
Use an A-Zoom!
Flyer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jeff Johnson said:
Tangram said:

Puzzled,
Tangram

Yup. Every time I forget to count my shots, since the P-3AT does not have a slide lock.

So, instead of ... bang, bang, lock

It's ... bang, bang, click :oops:
Yep same thing here, maybe I'll just load a snap cap for the first round and then 5 "real" rounds :D
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Eventually the firing pin and spring assembly thats in there will break.

·
Registered
467 Posts
No way to decock the 380

When I am done shooting my 380 or after cleaning it, I take a ink pen and put the back of it down the barrel pointing the gun up and pull the triger!, the ink pen flys up out of the barrel taking some of the shock out of the snap!, so far I have not had any broken parts. I also do this on my P-11 after cleaning it just to make sure everything is working right. Kel-Tec states do not dry fire but they do not give any advise on how to decock your pistol. I do know its not a good ideal to snap the rimfires because the firing pin could hit the side of the chamber and flatten the firing pin out or put a dent in the side of the chamber, but like on the ruger mark 2 you do not have much choice

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
diamondmike,
The hammers on Kel-Tec pistol are never cocked unless the trigger's all the way back! In the case of the P-3AT and P-32, it's only held far enough back to engage the hammerblock and not contact the firing pin, not enough to cause spring wear (if that's even possible). There's never a NEED to de-cock it.
I decock my rimfire pistols and rifles by pulling back the slide or bolt about 1/4 inch and snapping it. This is usually not far enough back to activate the disconnector and prevent the hammer or striker from falling, and pulls the pin far enough from the chamber so it doesn't hit the edge.
Flyer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts