Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone post a pic of the tools that are reccomended for polishing the feed ramp and other parts when using a dremel. I used the round felt cloths, the black round brush and to some degree the metal brush. I figured that I was ok since it seemed that the metal brush was much softer than the metal of the barrel. I am however not sure if there were any other accessories that are included with the dremel that I could use. I bought a separarte polishing kit that has extra felt type pads, some sort of compound, etc. I might not be alot of work for someone to post the pics, but it sure would help me alot.

Thank You,
Regards.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
norfdet,
Good question and request... I don't have my camera with me right now, though! I'll get up a pic of the best accessories tomorrow, hopefully.
For now, I'll just tell you what I use: mostly the cone-shaped felt polishing tips, and plenty of Dremel polishing compound. You'll need to get a bunch of the tips as they fall apart pretty quickly.
The Dremel compound is hard as a brick. What I do is use a small plastic cup and some rubbing alchohol to dissolve small bit of it into a thick paste. This works very well.
The wheel-shaped attachments (felt) are good for polishing the exterior of the barrel/barrel shround, i.e., places where there are no compound curves to deal with.
Anyhow, I'll try getting that pic up for you tomorrow... in the meantime, sounds like you've got everything you need!
Flyer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man you are fast, i'm going to have to get out the pro-timer to time you responses. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
felt tip

See that cone shaped felt tip in Midi's picture?? That's the one I use for polishing feed ramp, etc.

And a tip for the tip...Flyer is right. Use some rubbing alcohol, not water, to wet the polishing paste. I also wet the felt tip with alcohol and rub in into the paste. But then, here is the tip, hold the dremel down behind something, turn it on high speed for just a few seconds. The wet alcohol and excess paste will form a mist for a few feet. This will keep it off you when you turn it back on at medium speed to do the polishing. Works good.

og

(Midi must be in disquise, don't recognize him in new avatar)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just turn on the thing and stick the end into the paste and it melts some... but I'm just lazy... :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Or, screw the felt tip on, turn your Dremel on low speed and let the tip spin around in the polishing cup for a few seconds. It will leave a nice coating of polish and away you go. It also tends to spray a little polish in the air so be careful. Go outside or somewhere where you wife won't go bonkers. Also recommend strongly wearing eye protection when doing this.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
This is a nice little starter set available at Sears. Has 2 wire brushes, 3 emory wheels, 9 felt wheels in two sizes, 2 felt cones, all the mandrels you need to use the emory and felt wheels and a jar of polishing compound... for the low, low price of $9.99.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Hey Midi,
I get the distinct impression that kit is just waiting for something...
Kinda like a P-3AT, maybe...
What do I win? :lol:
Oh yeah... the Craftsman Dremel-type accessories ARE Dremel! They're the actual products under the Craftsman name. I think Sears owns Dremel... or something like that.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Hey Midi,
I get the distinct impression that kit is just waiting for something...
Kinda like a P-3AT, maybe...
What do I win?
Win? Well... I already have a lot of grinding bits... next time you need any dentistry done, stop on by. I'll do it free. How's that?

Yep... that stuff is waiting on my reload bench for the 3AT... but it's not lonely. It has company...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts