Kel-Tec Forum banner

Double Stack Makarov

10K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  cigarman 
G
#1 ·
What is the name of the double stack makarov in 9x18. I looked in the search engine but it was exhaustive and I got tired and decided to ask. And, does anyone know where to get one.

G
#3 ·
I found a makarov in a local shop for 150. I looked it over and (i know nothing about them) it seemed ok, except for the decocker. It seemed extremely stiff almost to the point of taking two hands to engage. I am not sure if this is natural. Alot of good things have been written about them and I wanted one to use as a travel CCW. The P11 and (maybe) the makarov would be the guns that I would use when on the road. They are small and seem adequate enough for self defense. I figure that if I ever had to use them it would be more economical for my P11 or a mak to sit in someone else's property and evidence room for several months until the details were worked out.

G
#5 ·
I've got about 300.00 burning a hole in my pocket. I was thinking about either a makarov around 150.00, a ruger DAO polymer 45 around 275-300 or maybe the Bersa Thnder 45 for under 300 (i think). suggestions........I am looking for a lightweight, inexpensive CCW piece for travel in the summer.

#8 ·
norfdet893 said:
What is the name of the double stack makarov in 9x18. I looked in the search engine but it was exhaustive and I got tired and decided to ask. And, does anyone know where to get one.
There are two different flavors hi capacity Makarovs. One is the IJ70-18AH which is what is the standard Makarov round or the 9 X 18. The other high capacity is the IJ70-17AH, which is the 380 acp, or the same round as the P3AT. These guns can be somewhat hard to find and unless you can find the original Russian Magazines (These are one piece magazines that are a dull grey color), the after market mags (two piece black) usually don't fit as tight and have a tendancey to FTF. As all Maks, these are great guns. A good site for background information (and guns, they have a FFL) is Makarov.com.

You can get a Bulgarian Makarov for around $114.00 (used, with outside wear), $125.00 (Used, four extra mags, less wear) to $150 (can't remember, might be $160.00) for an unissued Bulgarian Makarov with 4 extra Magazines. As Flyer and others will tell you, Makarovs are sweat guns, fun to shoot, accurate, reliable, cheap to shoot. The Bulgarians have 8 round magazines (plus one in the tube). Hi Capacity Magazines are 10 rounds (after market two piece black, as well as some Russian grey), if you are extremely lucky you might find some true Hi Capacity Twelve round Russian Magazines---These are rare and can set you back up to $90.00 a pop.

Guns can be had at Makarov.com, Aim, SOG, and Dans Ammo. The best price wll probably be AIM (Good to deal with). Dan's AMMO has the unissued and slightly used (Also good to deal with). Makarov.com has some of the harder to find varieties which will set you back more money (also great to deal with).

Makarovs make a great carry gun.

Dan

#9 ·
Yep, if I wanted a relatively inexpensive but completely reliable carry gun without getting to test fire it first it would be a Mak (or a Glock, but we're talkin' bucks there).
I can't MAKE my Maks jam. And I guarantee you I've tried!
Flyer

#10 ·
Hello Gentlemen,

If you are looking for a IJ70-18AH (9X18 hi-cap) here is one:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30269

The price is about right on it.

I have two IJ pistols, one 18AH and one 18A. The hi-cap is as reliable and accurate as any of the maks I have. The wider grip though may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Original mags are 12 round; later only 10 rounders were imported. 8 round mags will fit in them, although it is best to get a new conversion floor-plate for the mag from makarov.com

Aftermarket maks are generally unreliable, the original design has two springs and a spacer in the center, but the aftermarkets are only a single spring. Preban mags go for 50-70 bucks each.

BTW, The MP645 (CO2 version) is based on the hi-cap design.

G
#11 ·
Doesn't seem much use to spend 100.00 to 125.00 more for a double stack makarov and then have the added problem of finding reliable magazines. What is the durability of the standard single stack magazines. Are there any problems with carrying them in a pocket. It doesn't appear that there is very much too them.

#14 ·
Re:

norfdet893 said:
Doesn't seem much use to spend 100.00 to 125.00 more for a double stack makarov and then have the added problem of finding reliable magazines. What is the durability of the standard single stack magazines. Are there any problems with carrying them in a pocket. It doesn't appear that there is very much too them.
Thought I'd throw this in, Makarov.com has the Russian 10 round hi capacity magazines for $29.95. These are reliable in the high capacity Maks.

http://makarov.com/cart/vitemmak.htm

M Dan

#15 ·
As has been said, 10 round hicaps are available. It is just the 12 rounders that are tough to find. It depends how much you want the hi-cap.

I collect them, so it doesn't get shot much. Some people love their feel (and the possibility of carrying 12 in the mag and one in the pipe).

By the same token why pay 300 or 325 for a Ruskie military or an EG that likely has hundreds or thousands of rounds through it, when many Bulgies are just as smooth and well-made, only cost 150 bucks and are unissued quality? It is a rarity to find a pristine EG or Ruskie--most of the ones id'd as such are just well-kept and have some holster wear, and many of the Bulgies are just beautiful workmanship, IMHO.

#16 ·
I agree with cigarman about getting a Bulgarian. If I was going to get this for a carry and shooter gun, I'd get the "lightly used" Bulgarian Mak at Aims for $119.95, with the four magazines. I like Pearce grips on my Bulgarian carry gun, and I use a Fobus Paddle holster. You could get all of the above, a 1000 rounds of Russian ammunition, and you should stay just around the $300 mark. IMO that's a great deal.

MD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.