Kel-Tec Forum banner

Difference between 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 7.62x54r etc.

56K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BargerArms 
#1 ·
Can someone explain to me the differences in these so that I can understand? Is it the casing jacket diameter of the bullet within the bore of the weapon? In simple terms as I can put is something like this?

It would seem to me that you could shot a 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 in a 7.62x54r diameter if bore size is the case. of course the 39 and 51 bullet jacket would not fit flush within the chamber and might affect accuracy

7.62x39 barrel bore is
_______

While a 7.62x51 barrel bore is

And a 7.62x54r is

Or does it have to do with the amount of powder loaded within the casings?

I appreciate any answers anyone may have. Thanks

#2 ·
The 7.62 part is nominal diameter in millimeters of the bullet. The 39, 51, and 54 are the nominal lengths of the cases in millimeters. The R designates that it is a rimmed cartridge, just like the. 32 acp or .38 Super.

Look them up on Wikipedia. The complete dimensions of each case can be seen there. Pressure and velocity are also shown.

#3 ·
The 7.62x51 is also known as the .308 Winchester. Although if you have a rifle that is specifically chambered for 7.62x51, you should never shoot .308 Win through it. It is the opposite of the .223 vs. 5.56x45. The civilian round, though dimensionally the same, is actually a higher pressure round.

These three rounds are not interchangeable. When I was in the Army, we were told that the Russians would sometimes use confiscated 7.62x51 rounds in 7.62x54R chambered rifles in a pinch. While that may be possible due to the closeness of the dimensions and the equivalent pressures, I would not personally attempt to do so.

#4 ·
These three rounds are not interchangeable. When I was in the Army, we were told that the Russians would sometimes use confiscated 7.62x51 rounds in 7.62x54R chambered rifles in a pinch. While that may be possible due to the closeness of the dimensions and the equivalent pressures, I would not personally attempt to do so.
they told us the same thing, but i have also heard that it was grey psy op with intent of Americans potentially using captured weapons and killing or injuring themselves in the process

#5 ·
7.62mm = .3" . The difference in US and Soviet guns is groove diameters. The US 7.62 NATO groove and bullet diameters are .308" . The Soviet bullets and groove diameters are larger, bullets around .311, and groove diameters around .313+ . The reason is the Soviet system creates deeper groove, more metal in the lands which is not so good for accuracy, however, leads to a longer lasting, shootable bore through neglect and corrosion. AC

#7 ·
hello yall,
I'm tring to figure out what laser bore sight bullet thing they have for putting in your barrel could i use to sight the 7.62 x 25 Tokrev because i cant find in that size would the 9mm laser bore sight fit in the Tokrev size barrel just for alignment purposes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.