Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to shoot my new P3AT today..10 rounds UMC (too cold to shoot more) Each casing flew well in back of me..I noticed each one was deformed with a flat indentiation where slug was seated. This is on the same side as the ejector mark.
Any ideas? Normal with UMC? Casing pretty thin. Hope pic uploads

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Normal for both of my P-3ATs with all brands of ammo. I don't reload .380, so no concern for me. Not sure if there is anything you can do to stop the indentation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine often does the same....
But, as long as it ejects and loads the next round, i'm happy.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, you're fine!
Your fired case looks absolutely brand-new compared to some of MINE!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Still a mystery to me

Hey Flyer and all,

what is the cartridge case hitting when being ejected that causes the dent?? I see that in all spent brass from the P3AT.
Haven't figured it out yet. It apparently is not a problem as far as functioning goes. Just dented brass.

All brass is not created equal. I don't have access to a lab anymore to do a detailed analysis. But some is obviously softer than others based on examining the extractor dent on the rim. Some brands actually are torn somewhat.

Posted below (sideways, so it will fit the page, turn your neck!!) are some measurements on spent brass I've done.

In cold wintertime like this I need something to do besides look at the computer. So looking at brass fills some time.

og.......it's better than getting cabin fever. :roll:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
oldgranpa,
In most cases the cases are whacking the inside edge of the ejection port on the way out.
There's really nothing to do about it... rounding off the area is still gonna leave a dent. Guess we'll just have to live with 'em!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Haven't seen that in my P7 -- yet. The cases do have marks around the case near the extractor slot -- where the chamber is fluted...but it is more like powder residue. I've heard that above standard pressure rounds actually "form" the brass into the chamber flutes, distorting the case. I haven't seen any of that with the Winchester value pack ammo I've shot through the P7 so far. We'll see what the Cor-bon Pow'Rball acts like when I shoot a few on the next range visit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts