Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My collection does not include a shotgun of any kind... Bad, I know. Time to make things right.

I want a home defense type shotgun that will also be usable for a 3 gun match.

Obvious choices seem to be the Remmington 870 and the Mossberg equivalents. I know little about shotguns (yet)-- what are my best choices?

(I will wait until after the SHOT show, just in case KT has a 12 gauge surprise in store for us!)

Duane

·
Registered
39 Posts
Amen to the Mossberg. But when you're ready to buy a second one just to have fun shooting with, buy yourself a mule-eared, side-by-side, double triggered, 12 guage. They're a hoot to shoot! :D

G

·
Mossberg 500A's are just as reliable as the 590's although they are more of the budget model but they also carry the budget price. I have had 870's and use them in my last (2) departments. They are nice but when it comes down to brass tacs the Mossbergs are nice too. I have had a 500A for a few years now and I like it just as much. You can usually pick up the 500's for around 200.00, the 590's usually around 300.00 and it seems that the Remongton's run higher. Of course there is always the Benelli's...... :wink:

G

·
Mossberg has better ergonomics than the 870 too... The safety is on the tang and the slide release is behind the trigger guard, where they should be.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re:

imashooter2 said:
Mossberg has better ergonomics than the 870 too... The safety is on the tang and the slide release is behind the trigger guard, where they should be.
I agree that the safety and slide release are better located on the Mossberg unless you have trained with the 870 and the model 12 Winchesrer for over 30 years like I had, then the transition to the Mossberg can be difficult.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree that the safety and slide release are better located on the Mossberg unless you have trained with the 870 and the model 12 Winchesrer for over 30 years like I had, then the transition to the Mossberg can be difficult.
I went the other way. Trained on the Mossberg, then went to a new department that carried the Remington. To me, the Remington is a bit more forgiving (not as much kick), but I did like the layout of the Mossberg better. (Gotta love those slugs.)

Den

·
Registered
205 Posts
not used to thumb safteys myself (and I'm a righty so ambi makes no difference to me). I ended up with an 870 and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Both the Moss and Rem are great, but for sheer auditory stopping power nothing beats an old Win M97 (exposed hammer pump). Real ones are getting fairly expensive but Norinco has a decent replica w/20" barrel for about $200 at gunshows. The exposed hammer is a plus for me cause it is ambidexterous and easy to tell if cocked or not by feel.

If you want to do something cheap -- sometime ago I was given a beatup NEF single shot 12 ga. I cleaned it up, repaired and painted the stock, cut the barrel to 20", did the metal with Brownell's Teflon-Moly and put on a hivis sight tube. Polished the hinge and ejector face so that it easily opens and closes with a onehand flip. I can get 3 aimed shots in less than 3 seconds by holding two reloads between the fingers of my off hand. Could probably buy an old gun and rehab it for well under $100.

BIGIRON

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Win M97 was a great gun in the hands of competent gunners but was the subject of many AD's in the hands of incompetents. Had a Lt. when I worked for the Sheriff's Dept shoot half his foot off. I just passed up buying one in very good condition for under $100 at an estate sale of a family member.

·
Registered
190 Posts
bnahlik --

You're right. The M97 is not very forgiving. Also doesn/t have a trigger disconnect -- if you hold the trigger back it will fire when the bolt goes back into battery. That's super dangerous, but you can sure put out some lead in a hurry.

If that $100 M97 is still available, grab it up. You can probably clear enough at a gun show to buy a new KT of your choice.

BIGIRON

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re:

BIGIRON said:
bnahlik --
If that $100 M97 is still available, grab it up. You can probably clear enough at a gun show to buy a new KT of your choice.

BIGIRON
I let my nephew have for his son after I advised him of the danger factor. I was aware of the value but thought my great nephew should have his grandpa's gun even though I had first choice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
bnahlik --

Good man!

I really appreciate legacy guns. It's one of the finest ways a family can pass on their history and traditions. I have several from 3 generations back and have planned which nephew/neice is to get them along with a written history of the piece.

BTW - 12 year old neice killed her first buck this past season.

BIGIRON

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Mossberg makes good shotguns. They are one of the few shotgun manufacturers that make one for military specs. Actually it was usmc specs if I remember right. Also the maverick 88's are still a Mossberg, albeit a little cheaper. It is the same thing as a 500 or 500A Series, the only difference is there is a safety on the back part of the shotgun itself that you flick up and down and the Mavericks have it on the trigger guard. Im considering getting mine back from my brother in law.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I have a Wally World Mossberg 500. Cheap, reliable, and I've smoked 'em plenty of times shooting trap with it.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Bought a Hawk 98 (Same as the Norinco) from Big 5 for $157 before Tax just before X-mas. Dang good gun BTW. It is almost an exact copy of the 870. Only thing that I cannot interchange is the Barrel as the band is mounted lower on the true 870. I may build a spacer for it to add barrel swapping for my gun.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Fly,

I had a friend who had one of those and let me try it out once. He stuffed about half a pound of lead shot and chromed nuts down the spout and let me touch it off. Even shooting black powder it damn near broke my shoulder. Tell you what, it would sure clear out a room.

CA

1 - 20 of 61 Posts