Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What defensive ammo have you all shot through your P-11 that feeds well through it and that would be a good ammo to have in gun when you carry?

I do not want to have any +P loads.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you do not want +P loads, I suggest Federal's Personal Defense ammo loaded with the Hydra-Shock bullet -- or, the standard Hi-Shok hollow-point (9BP) load.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine feeds Cor-bon JHPs really well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ammo

Ronbo,

Most of the good stuff is all +P, your gun is rated for +P ( I didn't know if you knew that or not )

Before I went to the Corbon 125 gr. +P, I used to use Hydra-Shok 147 gr. hollow point made by federal, I did not do alot of testing with the Hydra-Shok, But I fired 11 rounds into mud!, all 11 rounds mushroomed.

$800 Box

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To Flyandscuba

I dumb to ammo. I know what hollow point means, but what does that 9BP referring too?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re: Ammo

diamondmike said:
Most of the good stuff is all +P, your gun is rated for +P ( I didn't know if you knew that or not )
To clarrify, your gun is rated for "very limited use" of +p ammo. No more than maybe 20 rounds at a range session... and I wouldn't pull too many of those kinds of range sessions. If you want to carry +p ammo... shoot a box (or two over time) to make sure it feeds ok, then shoot a magazine every 6 months or so just to cycle your carry ammo.

·
Registered
467 Posts
+P

Midi,

Thats something I don't understand!, like you said it is for limited use of +P!, But you can use the same frame and turn it into a 40 Caliber that has much more recoil than the 9mm, the frame of the gun is what takes the most beating.

$800 Box

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Ronbo,
9BP is the name of Federal's classic 115 grain jhp load.
It's probably my very favorite 9mm round... match accurate, totally reliable, and has the highest stopping power rating of any non +P round.
Love the stuff!
It's found now in their "Classic" line of ammo in the silver/blue boxes.
Flyer

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
DM,
I don't have the stats before me...
But I'd certainly put it right up there in the same league. I don't imagine there are more than a few percentage points difference between the rounds.
Flyer

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Flyer

Thanks for all the good information. I believe I will just go with that Federal 9BP, 115 g HP

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
carry ammo

ditto for the federal. all i use for carry. never a problem with functioning in my p11.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To Flyer or anyone that knows

What is a good price for the Federal Classic 9mm, 115 gr., Hi Shok, JHP for a 20 round box?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
federal hy-shok

$14.50 at gander mtn. jan. 04

·
Registered
63 Posts
9bp is a great load. the BP stands for Border patrol. I also like the now classic winchester silvertip. There never was anything wrong with that round. I also like any of the +P+ loads but not sure I want to try them in the Keltec plus they might be a bit punishing in a pistol this light.

·
Registered
153 Posts
+ p rounds

Why is the P11 only rated for limited +p rounds?
What happens if 50 rounds or so of +p is fired?
I am asking because I bought 250 rounds of Speer 9mm 124 JHP Gold Dot +P from Northwest Loading and was going to use them instead of FMJ for practice because of the price. I usually put 50 rounds through per session.
Thanks

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The P-11 is pretty much like any other aluminum-framed gun... it doesn't like a steady diet of +P loads.
It's common procedure to fire enough to become proficient and ensure reliable functioning, then practice occasionally with them... using standard pressure ammo for regular shooting/practice.
Flyer

G

·
i think all that +p and +p+ ammo will do is accelerate wear on the pistol. some shooters are not worried about this becasue KT has a lifetime warranty. for others it is a concern becasue we don't want to be without our most carried gun while it gets a vacation in florida. i would stick with the common advice here, use the some of the speer gold dots as carry ammo and use some for the range. i would think that even if you shot all 250 rounds in a session that it would be ok. would probably not be a good idea to do this on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re: +P

diamondmike said:
Midi,

Thats something I don't understand!, like you said it is for limited use of +P!, But you can use the same frame and turn it into a 40 Caliber that has much more recoil than the 9mm, the frame of the gun is what takes the most beating.

$800 Box
The P-11 +P issue has to do with barrel heat. The P-40 has a much beefier barrel and is made to take higher heat. I have recently discussed with Midi some accuracy issues as the P-11 barrel gets hot, even with standard ammo. Shoot +P for more than a couple of mags in a row and you will be melting your P-11 barrel with the excessive heat.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts