Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a P40 kit from someone on ebay. It was touted as having a low round count and arrived in the tube today. The deal include a 40 cal mag, extra guide rod and belt clip for $142. I've only had my P11 a short while and have shot it twice. Is there anything in particular I should be aware of/look out for, or do I just change the top end and start shooting? I'll need to order a blued assemply pin to match this as my P11 is chromed. I assume they are the same pins? Also, what is a reasonably light 40 cal round that I could shoot a bunch of to test this hand cannon?

Note: I was in Lafayette, La this weekend where a local Walmart was clearing out "discontinued" ammo. I found 9mm 147 gr Silvertips marked down from $23.44 to 12.75 and Rem Personal Defrense 40 cal (box of 20) from $13.87 lowered to $6. I bought what they had. I did not find this in my local San Antonio store, so it may have been a local thing, but might be worth checking where you live.

I tried to attach a couple of pics but am having no luck. Anyone got a Sig barrel for cheap? I'm broke! Guess I'd better start strengthening my wrists...

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are several recommendations passed along to me that I'll forward to you.

1. Replace the recoil spring with a Wolff 22lb. spring. It does help.

2. Purchase a Hogue Handall.

3. Use Federal Personal Defense .40 S&W ammo. 135gr JHP

4. Do the usual Fluff & Buff

HTH,

emc

·
Registered
205 Posts
also if your interested you can still do the chrome exchange I'm pretty sure and get a whole new slide and barrel for $20. But call first to make sure they have them around.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Cajun,

You got a good deal! You may know this, but DO NOT shoot 180 gr. loads in the P-40.

Have fun with it -- get the .357 Sig barrel and you'll have a real power house! :D

:handgun:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advise and warm-fuzzies.
emc: My P11 has the hogue and I'm glad to know that the Personal Defense is a good round to shoot. I have 120 of them, so that should allow a good testing with a few carry rounds left over for now. I will definately order the Wolf spring.
yzguy: You're reading my mind. I was wondering if they did the $20 chrome exchange on the P40.
Bigiron: Yep, fortunately, the mag that came with it has the pinky extension, or I'd be in the market for one. Shooting my P32 & P11 with and without has convinced me of the added control... and with this cannon?
Flyandscuba: I have a couple of 22's, 380's, a P32, P11 and P89, so 9mm was the largest caliber I owned. They make 180 gr rounds for this thing?... What is that, a quarter-pounder? By the way, how many Sig barrels you got laying around collecting dust?

One thing I like about this rig is that the previous owner stamped/enraved 40S&W on the barrel (chamber) where it shows thru the open part of the slide. Maybe I'm easily impressed but darn, I would not get that stamped barrel back on a chrome exchange. I wonder how busy Fuselier is... Does he do parkerized?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yes, the .40 S&W comes in a 180 gr. load. It's use in the P-40 has had catastrophc effects.

Jack can do the nickle plating for you -- but I don't think he plates the barrel...at least he didn't on my P-32.

I agree, the engraving on the barrel is a nice touch. Now, if I could find a grip imprinted with "P-357" -- that would be sweet! Speaking of grips, you may still be able to get a replacement grip imprinted with "P-40"...not sure if the supply has been depleted, but a call to one of the 'smiths at KT should provide the answer.

And, no -- I don't have an extra .357 Sig barrel. Rarely, will you see a used one come available. You're probably gonna have to shell out the $110 like a few of us have done.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
One note on the 22 lb. recoil springs - I use them in both of my P-40's but I'm noticing that my frame is showing a lot of wear around the feed ramp - not sure why, but I never noticed this wear before. BTW, I'm enjoying the feel of Gold Dot 155 grain rounds with this setup. I've shot 180 grains before, including some Winchester SXT without any problems, but I wouldn't recommend them for anyone new to the P-40 or really at all since the 135 to 155 grain rounds pack so much punch. I think the 180 grain kabooms happened with reloaders, just like with the Glocks. But that said, don't use 180 grain in the P-40's so you won't be posting here about how unreliable they (you) are.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.