Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up one of these great guns. It is a 9mm with a Factory 13 found mag. It will hold 14 if your not careful. It has the lightest double action trigger I have ever seen. I paid $232 plus tax or $250 out the door. I also got 3 range passes to go play for free. Ok so know I only need one more for my Collection of 59 series mag guns. That is a Camp Carbine. I have the Sub 2000, P-11, S&W 59, and the DAEWOO DP51. Life is soooo good! Pics coming soon!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I'm looking forwards to your range report about this pistol!
Unlike others of it's type, it's not a "locked-breech" pistol at all, but a delayed blowback, accomplished by machined grooves in the chamber that the case expands into 'tlll the pressure comes down.
I've always mean to get a Daewoo, but they're pretty hard to find here.
They look very nice!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re:

Flyer said:
I'm looking forwards to your range report about this pistol!
Unlike others of it's type, it's not a "locked-breech" pistol at all, but a delayed blowback, accomplished by machined grooves in the chamber that the case expands into 'tlll the pressure comes down.Flyer
I am holding the gun in my hand and it is defiantly a locked breech gun. Chamber is smooth. As for the range report I have one word to describe it: Perfect. I shot 100 rounds through it. 50 Wolf (the dirtiest ammo made) and 50 Win White Box. Not a single hiccup. No FTF, FTE, Stove Pipe, not a single issue. If I had to say one thing bad it is that the Mag release is light. It is like it was designed for IPSC or sumthin. Touch and drop. :) I added a little piece of rubber to make it stiffer. Nice sights and it hit the target. I am not the best shot with pistols on paper, but the gun did a good job of placing little circle in the target. I much prefer the odd can and water jug type of shooting. I remember back in the day when it was not a bad thing to shoot beer bottles... ahh those where the days. If you get the chance Flyer buy one. I am thinking on having the slide hard chromed just to be different, but the finish is so nice I can decide!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
G-Nut,

You'll enjoy that DP-51. I got mine back in '93 when a company called Firstshot was the importer. It was developed as the official military sidearm for the South Korean Army.

Recently, I picked up a used but very nice condition DH-40 -- the .40 cal derivative -- for $250. Basically, everything (slide, frame, magazine) from the DP-51 is slightly enlargedin the DH-40. No, the 11-round .40 cal mags are not interchangable with the DP-51...I tried. Actually, it is sitting here next to me on the bedside table of my hotel room. It is my full-time center console gun in my company car. If you come across one, you may want to add it to your collection. It has that same unique "fast-fire" tri-action (true double, single, and smooth/quick fast-fire).

You'll like that Camp 9 carbine when you get it too. That happened to be my first S&W 59 mag. series gun -- followed by the DP-51, P-11, and Sub2K.

Flyer, you sure about that delayed blowback? The barrels on my DP-51 and DH-40 have locking lugs similar to a 1911 that lock into the slide -- and the chambers are machined smooth as a baby's butt. Maybe I'm misreading your description...or maybe 1911s are delayed blowback too (showng my 1911 ignorance). :wink:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:

flyandscuba said:
G-Nut,
You'll enjoy that DP-51. I got mine back in '93 when a company called Firstshot was the importer. It was developed as the official military sidearm for the South Korean Army.
Hey that is the importer on this gun as well! The gun also came with the box and a loader tool. You don't have a copy of the manual do you Scuba?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yep, sure do. Send me a PM with a mailing address and I'll send you a xerox copy when I get back to the "office". My plastic gun box had a cardboard outer sleeve in full color. I'll make a copy of that for you too.

Sounds like you got one of the early imports as well -- which is good. Guess it has the lanyard lug at the rear of the mag well? A remnant of it's military origin. I think the finish on them was nicer than the later imports. My DH-40 was imported by B-WEST -- and although good, I think the slide finish is better on my DP-51.

Oh, I almost forgot. You'll notice that the hole in your DP-51 magazines where the release locks in are a little smaller than what you have in the 59 mags. Some of the aftermarket 59 mags don't lock in well -- so, you may want to try them in the gun before you buy. Finding 13-round Daewoo mags is possible at gunshows -- but they are usually pricey. I saw some last weekend but passed them by...they had $49 price tags on them.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
From the most recent "Jane's" pistol reference:
The DP51 is a semi-automatic pistol in 9mm Parabellum caliber, operating on an unusual delayed blowback system. The interior of the chamber has a number of shallow annular grooves: on firing, the cartidge brass expands, under the high chamber pressure, into these grooves and thus prevents the case from being extracted and the breech from being opened. After the bullet leaves the barrel the pressure drops, the brass contracts to it's normal dimensions, and the breech can then open. Designed for police and military use, the double action trigger is better than most, providing a very even trigger pull.
Flyer

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Of course, that's not to say that they might not have re-designed the pistol for import requirements or something like that...
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Maybe so...

Daewoo DP51 Pistol, Cal. 9mm
Produced in Korea by Daewoo. Light weight, short recoil, locked breech, May be fired in three modes: single-action, double-action and “Fast Action”. Comes with 1 10 rd. magazine, nylon holster in a plastic carrying case.
Very affordable for home defense!
HG107N Condition: New
From Century Arms website -- the current importer.

See: http://www.centuryarms.com/daewoo.htm

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re:

flyandscuba said:
Sounds like you got one of the early imports as well -- which is good. Guess it has the lanyard lug at the rear of the mag well? A remnant of it's military origin. I think the finish on them was nicer than the later imports. My DH-40 was imported by B-WEST -- and although good, I think the slide finish is better on my DP-51.

Oh, I almost forgot. You'll notice that the hole in your DP-51 magazines where the release locks in are a little smaller than what you have in the 59 mags. Some of the aftermarket 59 mags don't lock in well -- so, you may want to try them in the gun before you buy. Finding 13-round Daewoo mags is possible at gunshows -- but they are usually pricey. I saw some last weekend but passed them by...they had $49 price tags on them.
Yes to all! LOL The gun has the lanyard, nice finish. All my mags seem to work well: Smith early, late, and after markets. I have a card for a lady dealer that has a Factory Smith and Wesson 20 round mag for $40. I wanted that so bad but was broke! May still order it though!. BTW B-west was a sister Company of Jensens in Tucson and I have many old items from them. When Jensen was bought out the B-west logo disappeared. B-west was cheap , but sold cheap to. :lol:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re:

Flyer said:
From the most recent "Jane's" pistol reference:
The interior of the chamber has a number of shallow annular grooves: on firing, the cartidge brass expands, under the high chamber pressure, into these grooves and thus prevents the case from being extracted and the breech from being opened. After the bullet leaves the barrel the pressure drops, the brass contracts to it's normal dimensions, and the breech can then open.
Flyer
Sounds like the AR style rifle they made. I read that had a grooved chamber.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, and so do the HK series Combat Rifles and Cetme .308 rifles with roller-locking mechanisms... makes the brass almost impossible to reload.
Flyer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts