Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying out a new 10 rd mag Sunday and had multiple, consecutive FTE's. I was cussing the new mag as I switched to a 7 rounder and again the first casing got stuck. This time, really stuck, with the breech about half open. Then I noticed the crack in the top of the slide. (See pic) Ouch!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So... this is serial #585XX. A few questions:
1) What happened? I was shooting very routine ammo.
2) How do I get the spent casing out? This thing is really locked up.
3) Is there a link anywhere detailing procedures for sending this baby home, or can someone outline that routine.
4) What other upgrades does this old girl likely need while she's there?
5) Since she'll be visiting family in Fla, shouldn't she shop for some new clothes while she's there? (chrome or parked) I was going to do that eventually. Now I have a good excuse.
6) Anyone know how they're fixed for P32 chrome/parked slides/barrels these days?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd let it alone.

Manufactures do NOT want loaded guns sent back to the factory for service, but your gun is not loaded, and the Gunsmith that open the box will see right away that your gun is in no way able to be fired.

MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE AND EMPTY THE MAG BEFORE SENDING IT BACK.

Do not try to pry or beat the slide back - your slide and maybe barrel are junk, but the frame and poly grip frame will prolly be mated with a new slide and barrel. Why take a chance on breaking the good parts?

Send it back as is. Also- wouldnt hurt calling them first and tell them the gun has a empty case jammed in the chamber.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Looks to me, by the appearance of the crack...
Your slide didn't immediately widen, but started with a hairline. As shot were fired, that caused the crack to open wider, and finally, on the last shot, it was a wide enough gap to eliminate lockup between the barrel and slide.
So, your P-32 tried to be a blowback... and the case immediately began backing out of the chamber under high pressure, expanding as it went until it effectively locked itself into place.
As long as it's an empty case I see nothing wrong with using a wooden dowel or similiar instrument to insert through the barrel and gently tap out the case.
Be sure to remove the assembly pin and take off the slide first.
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Flyer... Yea, those several consecutive FTE's were no doubt related to the growing crack. Using a small flat screwdriver and considerable pressure, I was able to pry out the assembly pin. Some more tapping, bumping, pushing, pulling and the slide worked free and released the casing. The top of the barrel lug is also damaged (like it was sliding under something (camera is at work). As old as this model is, would you send the whole thing in for a checkup or just the slide and barrel? (need chrome or parked upgrade anyway) See original post.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Personally I'd send the whole gun in.
There may have been some frame damage that's not apparent to you, but would be to the KT smiths...
Never hurts to play it on the safe side!
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As much as it is a pain to send the gun in, I'm inclined to do it anyway. They are more than welcome to replace EVERYTHING they'd care to. I bought it used, don't know its history, and have put several hundred rounds through it myself. Its been a decent shooter. Maybe it'll come back mostly new! For sure got to be chromed or parked if it's making the trip!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoa! I eamiled this picture to KT last night and asked what to send in. So... I'm teaching my 7th period class today when my cell rings in my pocket. It's Marty. He takes the time to call personally and tells me what to do. I inquired about the availablity of chrome exchanges and he says they're out, but he'll try to scare one up for me. What service! What a company! What a guy! I think he needs a raise. I hope George Kelgren reads this forum! BTW, I might have mentioned "TxCajun" and "the Range" in my signature line. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great service

Several years ago I bought a p11 and a p32. I had problems with both and called k/t to see if I could make a road trip to their facility to get them fixed. Honestely I wasn't there more than 1/2 hour and Marty and Val had both up and running. Keep up the good work k/t and many thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.