Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting my hands on a P40 or a P11 and a .40 conversion kit, but I'm a little concerned about some of the problems I've seen posted about the P40. Feeding reliably seems to be one of the biggest complaints I've seen.
While I desperately want a .40 "pocket" pistol, I don't want one that isn't going to be utterly reliable.

I know Kel-Tec will correct any problems I have, but my life as it stands currently will make it very difficult to ship it back to KT, and especially so if it has to go back more than once...

How difficult will it be to get my P40 to a completely reliable state? Do the P40s really have as many problems as it seems, or is it just me? Were the problems the reason that KT stopped making the P40?

Also, anyone who has a P40 and is willing to part with it, I'm interested in buying if the price is right (with the understanding, of course, that this will be a legal sale handled through a FFL). Sorry, I know this really belongs in "For Sale", but it seems appropriate to the post.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
madman,
The problems with P-40 were almost ALL figments of the owner's imagination.
It's VERY sensitive to limpwrist, so you'd better be ready to lock those wrists.
Other than that, it's just as reliable and accurate as a P-11, with pretty much equal reliability.
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good to me. I never met a .40 I didn't like or couldn't handle. Now if I could just find one for a reasonable price. Seems that P40s sell for a good deal more than P11s, and if I buy a P11 *and* a conversion kit it'll cost me even more!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please forgive me if I sound insensitive...

I'm a Realtor and I hear this all the time; "I'll wait until I can get a better price." My response is "Try to get it for full price today and try to get one you like fairly well and then make it perfect. The price is not going down, they are not making any more and the demand is increasing."
:oops:

P-40s are a bargain at full price. If you see one that is too cheap, buy it too and resell it for more later. They are not making any more P40s either... :eek: And, as a few sell there are more and more that reside with people who won't sell them... thus the supply is lessening and the demand is enough that I think we can expect the price to continue going up as there is nothing that I know in the same class as the P40.

I suggest, what I did. Squeeze a tennis ball until you find one, buy it, hold it tight when you shoot it. If you find another one cheaper, buy it too. :D

Decide if you like one better than the other and if so, perhaps sell one, perhaps for more than you paid for it. Meanwhile, have fun shopping and shooting.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm well aware of the supply & demand situation & what that's doing / going to do to P40 prices. I'm not complaining about the price, really, just complaining that I don't have the cash to get one right now, at least not as I want it. Ideally, when I have enough money I'll get a setup that will allow me to use shoot .40, .357sig & 9mm, and it'll be HC. I like versatility, & I love the idea of being able to change calibers just by swapping out the top end :!:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Madman,

As you build up your collection you might want to consider making all the .40S&W components have a similar trait and all the 9mm components have a different trait. In my case I ahve a P11 and a P11/40 (P11 with .40 conversion kit installed) My P40 slide and all my P40 magazines are nickel plated while the P11 slide and P11 magazines are all black... That way I know which one I'm picking up and I know what rounds are loaded in the magazine...

It's embarassing to go to the range with a gun chambered for .40 S&W and all your magazines and ammo are 9mm.

Allan

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
birdman,
Same here. My P-11 is Jack F. nickel plated and my two P-40 slides are KT hard chrome. As for price? I overpaid a little for my first P-40 conversion kit, but I wanted it and didn't want to lose it to another buyer. In the big scheme of things I overpaid no more than a couple of trips to McDonalds. My second purchase, a complete P-40 that I found for $199 made up for it. Sort of like dollar cost averaging when buying stocks - just keep buying more guns and it will all average out.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
P-11~40~.357

If you were to buy a P-11 with a P-40 conversion kit, a
.357 Sig barrel is available for $110.00 and then you've got three guns!

The P-11 frame is substantial enough to handle 9mm, .40 Cal. or .357 Sig. with no difficulty. Unfortunately, some shooters are not.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
The three gun concept is great. I've been meaning to look into getting a .357 SIG barrel for some time. It's only money.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yep, I've got the three-caliber set-up in HC...it's sweet. The .357 Sig is REAL sweet -- especially with the 100gr Pow'Rball rounds....it's like toting an 11-round .357 Magnum in a very light and concealable package. Screaming velocity, great penetration, effective expansion, and awesome energies. Recoil is managable in my book -- but the muzzle blast is similar to my hand cannon in the avatar...

As they said to Mikey, "Try it, you'll like it!" :D

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Oh, BTW,
I've had zero feeding problems using P-11 mags in my P-40's. I'm not impressed with the P-40 mags in any edition. The follower has a tendency to nose downward causing a low feed, and as far as I can tell there is no way to correct it.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts