Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a bit on the board about the risk of rim lock with hollow points and penetration needed so go with FMj.

I'm wondering if for defensive purposes there is any merit to having the round in the chamber (or first one in the mag) as a CorBon, followed by6-7 rds of FMJ. The first round for stopping/shocking, the others the quick follow-ups.

I put another 150 rds today through my P32 of the Winchester USA 71 gr FMJ and it functioned flawlessly. In fact, 250 rds of FMJ have had no jams,stovepipes or failure to feeds in any way.

So I know how reliable it would be in a self-defense situation. Would the addition of the first round of CorBon give me any edge, however theoretical, or should I not bother and stick with FMJ.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd stick with SilverTips, they're pretty much universally regarded as the best avaliable .32 round.
Get the damn magazine extension, 8 rounds doesn't seem like enough for safeties' sake.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Just my opinon, others disagree...
I don't think there's ANY REASON WHATSOEVER to use less a cartridge than the Cor-Bon, if you can get them.
Rimlock can be avoided by fifteen minutes of work putting in a Flyerwire.
Let's face reality... the .32 is a weak round. It needs ALL the enhancement it can get re stopping power... and the argument that one should instead concentrate on "Penetration" carries ZERO weight with me. If I only wanted penetration my Baby Browning in .25 ACP would do the job just fine.
I see no reason to use FMJ when you've got JHP. Rimlock is no longer a problem.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Just my opinon, others disagree...
I don't think there's ANY REASON WHATSOEVER to use less a cartridge than the Cor-Bon, if you can get them.
Rimlock can be avoided by fifteen minutes of work putting in a Flyerwire. Flyer
Well I found the second thing I disagree with you on Flyer my Friend. The other is running Chamber hot. :) Now don't get mad. Also I would have to buy 4 more mags just to carry HP's. Practice rounds are Ball which almost always function 100%. The Ball I use is as hot or almost as hot as Corbons and they look better too ! :)

G

·
I would have to agree with Flyer, if you are going to carry the P32 it seems that the Cor-Bon is the perfect round. I carry cor-bon's in mine because with that small of a pistol with such a short barrel you would want to push the round as fast as you can. I have been told that you need atleast 1,000 fps to have a hollow point expand reliably. That being said, the 32 is dimunitive at best and I would think that you would want to dump as much energy into your attacker as fast as you could. I have had great success with both JRN and JHP's in my P32. I use the JRN for practice and the Cor-Bon's JHP for carry. The ball round may penetrate more but if it's tumbling around and allowing the wound to close behind it, it may not take the fight out of the attacker as quickly. And lets face it, these are not target or long range guns. They are up close and personal so I would want the round to work as best it could for me.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
I would have to agree with Flyer,
hmmm Food for thought. I am still leaning towards 100% feeding + speed over expanding bullets + speed, but you have a point. This requires more thought.

G

·
it seems to me that the Cor-Bon 32's favor a more rounded profile for a HP than some of their other rounds. Maybe this is why the feed so well in the P32.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The thing about a good, hot hollowpoint being best in the .32 is simply this:
You are VERY unlikely to immediately drop your assailant unless you achieve a brain or spinal shot... and this isn't to be counted on in any scenario.
The .32 isn't THAT much bigger than the .25, nor does it penetrate (in ball form) significantly more... so what you're counting on is the slight increase in frontal area to do more damage.
Now, imagine a round toothpick traveling at 800 fps. You bet it's gonna hurt, and you bet it's gonna make you eventually seek medical attention... but I DOUBT it's gonna stop you from beating the moron that flung it at you to a pulp first.
Now let's go a bit bigger... .177 caliber, or BB size. Now you're talking way more hurt... but STILL it's just hurt unless you hit the brain. He's not gonna go down!
Now let's jump to the size of a pencil! NOW we're getting somewhere... roughly the diamater of a .32. Yep, big hurt, lots of damage to sew up. BUT, if that's just a hole... you are GOING to have time to fire your own weapon even if the bullet tumbles, destroys your liver and penetrates your heart.
If you're going to use FMJ I'd say something the size of a pool cue tip is indicated. That's not only gonna HURT, it's going to transfer enough energy you're going off balance at least, and straight down at best. We're talking .45 here.
Therefore...
Why not simply FORGET the penetration = superiority myth?
HURT that attacker as MUCH AS POSSIBLE... to the point where he loses ALL interest in harming you and is more concerned with the location of the nearest Emergency Room, if he's still conscious.
Your .32 jhp is MUCH more likely to cause this reaction than is fmj. I doesn't MATTER if the FBI doesn't like the fact it doesn't punch through 13 inches of gelatin... what MATTERS is that you're going to stand a better chance of seeing the sun come up the next day.
Give me five inches of penetration and an expanded .32 bullet over 11 inches of penetration and an UN-expanded .32 bullet any day.
Ideally, give me 12 inches of EXPANDED .45 bullet.
The .32 isn't a .45, ya'll... the most likely reason the P-32 exists at all is the Seecamp .32, specifically engineered to use Winchester Silvertips. This combo surprised the crap out of the anti-mousegun guys out there with it's effectiveness... and the effectiveness was due to the Silvertip.
Had it been firing simple ball ammo you'd likely not have a P-32.
Flyer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good commentary, Flyer! Thanks for taking the time to flesh out some good points regarding terminal ballistics. I've always felt that the smaller calibers have much less margin of error in regards to stopping power. Unfortunately, many shooters gloss over that. I greatly appreciate what Kel-Tec has done with the P-32, and carry it regularly. BUT, I never forget that it is NOT the same thing as toting around a P-11 or a chopped down .45 Auto.

emc

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think that Charger is trying to say that he loves Flyer. Hmmm....time for a Meet the Parents moment? :grin:

emc

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Hey, I don't mind folks disagreeing with me!
Just as long as they realize, deep down, that I'm right.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Charger01 said:
hahaha....
These boards would be much, much more boring w/o posters like him.
Ok I think I am lost. With out whom? I did not understand the post is all.

Still not sure I agree with the Flyster, but he does argue well. I am not a Penetration /speed guy. I am a Reliability/ speed guy. That is one of my gripes with the P-3AT.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.