Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my P-3AT today. The dealer sold me the
Cor Bon +P 90gr in JHP, and some magtec FMJ 95gr.

So far I had problems with the magtec, both FTE, and FTF.
I'm used to a heavier 9mm so I will try a firmer grip as I have seen recommeded in other parts of this forum.

Any ideas on what to expect from the Cor Bon +P ?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The Cor-Bon load is what I recommend for the P-3AT.
Great performance, flawless functioning.
Other good loads include the Hydra-Shoks and the Gold Dots, but the Cor-Bon has a distinct advantage, I think.
The Cor-Bon WILL thump you a bit harder than the other rounds... but poses no controllability problems at all.
Flyer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heres what happened with the cor bon +p

I went through a box of 50 UMC 95gr with no problems.
I did adjust to a firm grip, and it worked fine even shooting 7 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Confidently I tried 2 of the cor bon and immediately got a FTF.

I tried other combinations, loading the magazine with
a UMC followed by 2 Cor BOn and another UMC. I would get
the FTF on the last round (the one following the CorBOn)consistently.

Looks like I'll have to try again.
Whats my best bet, the federal or the speer?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Travistee,
You've gotta lock those wrists! You're describing a classic limp-wristing problem:
I would get
the FTF on the last round (the one following the CorBOn)consistently
Classic situation... the gun is at it's lightest, and your grip must be at it's most rigid. Not necessarily so TIGHT that you convert the grip of the pistol back to a lump of coal, but your wrists mustn't swivel up or down in the least.
Flyer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
problem with the cor bon

I had the problem with the Cor Bon when I used a two hand grip and my elbows slightly bent.

For the last 4 rounds I shot, I used a one hand grip with my arm straight. In that sequence I did not have a FTF problem.

I may be spoiled by the 9MM I have which never malfunctions.
Name starts with a G.

I can understand that it is possible to get the 3at to avoid malfunctions, but if you have a defensive situation where you want to hold the gun at belly level close in and not extend your arms, I think that would be the type of situation where the problem I described would occur.

So the solution I am looking for is not just how to demonstrate that the gun can, under ideal conditions, avoid malfunctions, but to discover how it can be used for its intended defensive purpose, under varying conditions, reliably.

In that regard I am trying to find which JHP would work reliably.
At this point if I decide to carry the gun I would load the UMC FMJ since I have seen that it can function reliably.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Travistee,
You'cn use the dreaded "G" word here! In fact, there's a Glock 30 on my hip as I write this! There's also a P-3AT in my pocket. Both are loaded with Cor-Bon ammo.
Reading your original post again, I noticed you didn't mention a Fluff & Buff. Have you done this to your P-3AT? Especially polishing the feedramp and chamber? 90% of the time, it seems, this is the cause of the problems you're experiencing if they're not limp-wrist related.
Take a look at the link below, and maybe this will help you out.
New Gun Prep
Flyer

·
Registered
83 Posts
That 9mm beginning with a G will also experience FTFs with a weak wrist. With a polished feedramp and a locked wrist my P3AT performs as well a my G's and my S's for that matter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try it again.

I didn't F&B it the first time.

I did clean before the last time out.

I cleaned it again after. I checked the feedramp but I don't see anything that needs to be polished anymore than it already is.

As for the G26, I have not found a way to get it to have any kind of FTE or FTF in the last five years since I've had it.

So back to what I am trying to decide now.
Its good that the corbon works for you, but since I am having problems with the +P, I will try one of the other JHP you mentioned, the federal or speer.

Let you know what happens.

8)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
JHP for the P3AT

Travistee,

also try some Winchester Silvertip JHP. It is a little different than the others, with a 85gr bullet and higher velocity, but less recoil also. It did very well for me in expansion tests posted in the Members Only section. My Wal Mart does not have Silvertips and need to go to local gun shops to find it. But it comes in a 50 round box for around $20, a good deal.

Speer 90gr Gold Dot JHP also fired well for me but not as reliable expansion.

However, don't let expansion be a top reason for chosing a brand. Chose a brand that functions 100% for you. Even if the hollow point doesn't expand, that's not all bad. It will then penetrate deeper like a FMJ.

Let us know your final results when you find one that functions best.

og

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't get discouraged. When I first got my P3AT I got a box of Blazer, Magtec, Speer Gold Dot and Cor-Bon.I had many failure to feed problemsand some FTE's with the Magtec and Blazer but the Speer and Cor-Bon worked great. I found that the more rounds I fed through it, the less problems I had. I have about 300 rounds through it now and very rarely have a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re: problem with the cor bon

Travistee said:
I can understand that it is possible to get the 3at to avoid malfunctions, but if you have a defensive situation where you want to hold the gun at belly level close in and not extend your arms, I think that would be the type of situation where the problem I described would occur.
Your bent elbows may have contributed to the failure but it's the wrist that's most responsible. If your grip is right and your wrists are properly locked, you should be able to shoot the thing regardless of any other consideration. This isn't a 20oz Glock 25 .380. It's 13oz lighter and you must compensate for that. If you can't, you may be better off with the 3 times heavier and 3 times larger Glock (provided you could find one in this country). Tiny guns are never going to be everyone's cup of tea. They have an allure because of the size.. but an accompanying downside when pushed into higher caliber ranges.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I called Kel-Tec today regarding the use of CorBon +P on a P3AT. The tech said it's ok to use, but let the gun cool down after a mag or two. The only problem would be that of overheating.

I hope to be picking up my P3At this Thursday (1/22/04).

I may try Winchester Ranger +P as my carry ammo (use this for my G36 .45ACP).

Will let you know how it all works out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tested again with federal JHP 90gr

I cleaned the gun after last testing.
I didn't get any sandpaper yet so I just used oil and grease.
I put some extra grease on the slide rails.

I used Federal JHP 90gr.
I used a one hand grip.
Last time I tested the corbon after about 50 rounds of UMC FMJ, so my hand was cut up and hurt.
This time I used a glove.
I tried one mag of the Federal at the start and, no problems.
I fired 50 rounds of the UMC FMJ.
then another mag of the Federal, and still no problems.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I agree

I agree with your logic and that's why I won't use CorBon's +pee in my AT. Travistee, try some Winchester Silvertips in your AT also. They are 85gr, a little higher velocity than std 90gr stuff but low recoil. So they expand pretty well. Comes in a 50 round box for around $20 so you have plenty to test with and enough left over for carry.
og

1 - 17 of 17 Posts