Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a SU-16 rifle. Due to the price however, I have a few questions i thought maybe some of you SU-16 owners might be able to answer. I would like to know how well you like your SU-16's, are they accepting to MOST options (i.e. scopes, lasers, lights, scopemount range finders, etc.). Also, would you SU-16 owners consider it to be a suitable survival rifle/preparedness rifle for that "just in case" scenario? Any first hand knowledge and help about the SU-16 would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The SU-16 isn't a combat/battle rifle -- but it wasn't intended to be so. It competes directly with the Mini-14. If you would consider the Mini-14 for the same "survival/preparedness" weapon, I'd prefer the SU-16 over the Mini-14 and think it is a better rifle. A better dollar value IMHO too.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Below is a link to an article I wrote when I got one of the first SU-16s released to the public.
The SU is an EXCELLENT rifle, and I believe that it's nearly perfect for the role of a Homeland Defense rifle. It's much more accurate than the Mini-14, lighter, more reliable, and durable enough to stand up to some fairly adverse conditions. Add the fact it uses our military's cartridge with no problems (the Mini-14, contrary to popular opinion, ISN'T designed for the 5.56 NATO) and our military's magazines, and you've got a great choice for plinking, informal target shooting, and home/urban defense.
I recommend it VERY highly.
It accepts all popular scope mounting systems using the Weaver/Picattiny base systems, so no problems there.
Try one; you'll like it!
Flyer
SU Article

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the answers guys. I went out to the range yestarday with a friend of mine who owns a SU-16, and being a police officer he carries it in his patrol car with him. I was surprised at how well it shot and at the accuracy. It did take some adjusting to get used to a regular rifle stock compared to the ol ar-15 i'm used. We fired 10, 20, 30, and 40 round clips without a problem. then we fired a 90 round c-drum and a 120 round "snail mail" drum and both went into the mag well perfectly and fed perfectly without any problems....... needless to say I'm sold. Even though i'm not ready to get one YET (need to save money for it, and have to get a reloading press as a immediate "need first" item), I did some checking though and most of the gun shops around here have about a 50% mark-up on it compared to what kel-tec's site suggests as the m.s.r.p. Any suggestions to finding one cheaper, or should i just go in with a print off from kel-tec's website and haggle it out with them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts