Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best inexpensive 45acp compact pistol?

Dan

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Bersa Thunder/MiniFireStorm .45.
It's a excellent double-action .45 pistol. I like mine better than my Sig P-220.
You can get one for not much more than $300.
Flyer

·
Registered
224 Posts
FYI...both Auction Arms and Gunbroker have Bersa Thunder .45's up for sale ranging from $290 to $327... those are "Buy It Now" prices. It's a great looking gun!
Hope that helps...
Barry

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a neighbor who's retired and leaves the frigid north and heads to Florida for 5 months a year. He and his wife called to wish us a Merry Christmas, on Christmas Eve. After the women had talked, Kent and I had our turn, and as always, our talk turned to guns. He was telling about some of his newest acquisitions, and one of them turned out to be the Bersa Thunder Mini 45. He said it was one sweat little gun. I asked about the trigger pull and travel, as I usually don't care for a double action only (except for my P3AT :) ). He said the travel was short and the trigger action was light and crisp. He compared it to a tricked out 45 he had. The 45 is a nice gun he had bought, that had been built up by a competent gunsmith. He also said the sight acquisition was good, and it seemed quite accurate for a short barreled gun. The more I hear of this gun, the more I think I'll have to look into it after the Hollidays.

Dan

G

·
They are compact but they still weigh 27 ounces empty which is more than some other full size guns.

If I were going to buy a small .45 I'd buy the S&W Chief Special that only weights 23.9 ounces. It's also more compact to the S&W is 6.50" long and the Bersa is 6.70".

Rook

·
Registered
41 Posts
How about the Cobra (formerly Republic Arms) Patriot .45 Weighs 20 oz's unloaded, DA, carries 6+1 and Chip McCormick makes aftermarket 10 round clips. Its very compact too-fits any holster that fits a Glock 26/27 or similair pistol. Its as cheap as a KT - $215 new @ thegunsource.com But its manufactured better-no F&B necessary. However, a little F&B on the trigger can supposedly help this gun alot. Jack F.-KTOGer likes these pistols too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Forgot to mention you can get stainless or chrome (not sure what it is) for the same price, but the one your seeing is similar to a Glock melonite-tough.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, the Patriot .45 is pretty good... but not their 9mm, though. The .45 is an entirely different design.
Flyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
best compact 45 no longer made

For my money, the Star PD was WAY ahead of its time. AL alloy frame, decent magazine capacity, adjustable sights, and frame mounted safety. Mine is very accurate and can feed the most extreme hollowpoints. Unfortunately, Star stopped making these about ten years ago.

When I feel the need for concealable 45 acp power, I pack the PD.

Out West

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Ditto on the Star PD. I guard mine jealously.
Great reliability, adjustable sights, excellent accuracy...
Excellent pistols.
Flyer

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a Star PD. I have heard that some of them were junk and some were excellent. Anything special I should look for? What is a good price for a good used one?

I wish all of you a safe and happy New Year.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I've never seen a PD in good shape that was "junk"!
There's two at a local shop for $349 apiece.
Flyer

G

·
Any chance we could get a pic posted? and isn't this the back-up gun that Sonny Crocket carried to his Bren 10 in the Miami Vice series?

G

·
I'm not trying to be inflamitory but that is not the prettiest thing I have ever seen. Why would someone want this over say a used Lightweight Commander or even maybe a Charles Daily? (thinking inexpensive)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
nordet,
Well, a Lightweight Commander is expensive, and a lot bigger! Best compare it to a lightweight Officer's Model...also expensive.
The Star has adjustable sights, (that are VERY durable), is throated to handle any hollowpoint, has a wide variety of aftermarket grips and accessories, and it flat-out twice the pistol a Charles Daly is.
Flyer

G

·
Really, well I must admit that I don't know alot about these guns. I had a friend of mine that was on the job with me in the late 80's early 90's that had a StarPD in 9mm. Something was wrong with the magazine and when he would pull the slide to the rear, all of the rounds would jump out of the top of the magazine. This was unfortunately my one and only experience with the Star pistols.

And, I think that the gun the Sonny Crockett used was a Detonics. This gun I am sure is a collector's piece but I would be interested in it. Interesting placement of the rear sight.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts