Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of my SU-16 on Monday! 8) I Can hardly wait til the weekend to shoot it. First, I need to clean this baby.

Once the bolt assembly was removed, I tried inserting a GI M-16 cleaning rod through the opening. I stopped at the breech/chamber area because at such an angle, it might damage the rifling. It doesn't look like I can removed the barrel either. :(

I figure I can insert the rod from the muzzle end, once it passes the breech, affix a patch or brush, then pull it out. Or get a BoreSnake.

How do you folks clean your barrel?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
For the SU I recommend the Otis cleaning kits.
They're steel cable encased in vinyl, and you can clean the bore without even taking your rifle down. Just insert the end through the ejection port, thread it down through the bore, and out the end. Then the cleaning brush or patch goes on, and is pulled through the bore out the muzzle.
You CAN use regular cleaning rods to clean from the muzzle... but it tends to be a pain, and there's always the risk of damaging the crown. Not so with the Otis system.
Flyer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
For the SU I recommend the Otis cleaning kits.
They're steel cable encased in vinyl, and you can clean the bore without even taking your rifle down. Just insert the end through the ejection port, thread it down through the bore, and out the end. Then the cleaning brush or patch goes on, and is pulled through the bore out the muzzle.
You CAN use regular cleaning rods to clean from the muzzle... but it tends to be a pain, and there's always the risk of damaging the crown. Not so with the Otis system.
Flyer
Do the otis patches fit tightly like a jag would?

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2365#

Is this all I need?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The Otis patch system is about TEN TIMES tighter-fitting in the bore than standard jag cleaning rod systems.
The reason for this is that you PULL the patch through the bore with the cable, with a small brass handle on the end of the cleaning cable. You have to pull hard.
Doing this, though, removes far more debris than standard systems, and has the bonus of running patches/brushes in only one direction, directly out the bore. Nothing's left behind.
And yep, that's the right Otis cleaning kit; it's the same one I keep in my range bag. It will take care of your bore just fine.
Flyer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
The Otis patch system is about TEN TIMES tighter-fitting in the bore than standard jag cleaning rod systems.
The reason for this is that you PULL the patch through the bore with the cable, with a small brass handle on the end of the cleaning cable. You have to pull hard.
Doing this, though, removes far more debris than standard systems, and has the bonus of running patches/brushes in only one direction, directly out the bore. Nothing's left behind.
And yep, that's the right Otis cleaning kit; it's the same one I keep in my range bag. It will take care of your bore just fine.
Flyer
I purchased the micro kit http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/fcatalog.html&setup=1&cart_id=

I work at walmart so I dont have a lot of mony... though I do have a lot of ammo :) I ordered that kit + a bore obstruction remover... I didnt order the T handle because I saw the hole on the bore obstruction remover and figured that could be used in a similar fashion... was i correct? I also ordered a bunch of patches.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I work at walmart so I dont have a lot of mony... though I do have a lot of ammo :)
Beautiful!!! 8)
Midi, I think we've got another winner in the "Best KTRange Quotations" category! Tell him what he's won!
Flyer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts