Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always read that oiling the firing pin can cause misfires in an automatic, but I've never read anything about cleaning it. I use Hoppes No. 9 for all my guns. Should I swab a little around the firing pin opening with a Q-Tip when I'm cleaning my P-3AT or just avoid the area all together? Tnx

-- Steve

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Keep ALL oil or cleaners away from the firing pin hole and surrounding area!!!
It can easily leach into your primer pocket and deaden it, resulting in a "click!" at the very WORST possible time.
The way I do it is clean briskly with CLP and a toothbrush in that area, then do the rest of the gun. When I'm finished, I come back and scrub the area around the pin as dry as possible with clean patches, and carry it a step further by using a pipe cleaner to dig into the pin hole and clean out as much residue as possible.
As I type this, I realize I haven't answered your question!
The answer is YES, clean the area, VERY well. Then, DRY, the area, SUPER well.
This was a good question; glad you asked it.
Flyer

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you want to keep your firing pin moving smoothly, yet want to avoid oil and the problems it may cause, you might want to try the DuPont dry lube mentioned in several other posts. The stuff seems to provide excellent protection, yet is dry in 10 or 15 minutes. Works for the whole gun as well. I got it at Lowe's.

CA

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone use "Gun Scrubber" to clean out the firing pin area before cleaning the slide, then just keep any oil products from getting into the firing pin area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've used a product called Prolix on guns for 10 years. It floats off the powder residue and dirt, leaves no apparent residue behind, quickly removes copper and lead from the barrel, and does not attract dirt. It is an excellent lubricant, and you can simply dunk/soak the gun it in it, and wipe it dry - seriously. It's great stuff. (I have no connection with the company.)

http://www.prolixlubricant.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.