Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I collect pistols from Commie Bloc nations--CZs; Makarovs (EG, Russina PM and Commercial, Bulgarians); FEG military (PA-63, R-61, etc.) among others and thought others might also be interested in sharing info here.

This would be a great place to post pics, talk technical talk and just generally share info.

Let me start out with my newest acquisition. A Bulgarian Chrome Makarov. It is said that only a total of 3000 of these were made and only a limited number imported. They were suposedly issued to the Black Sea Fleet, but made their way around the area.

G

·
Do they make a double stack Makarov? and can you still get them. I am an old fan of the early double stack Beretta .380. They seem to be hard to find but I figured if I ever wanted to pick up a Makarov I would rather have a hi-cap one. I did have a chance to pick up an east german one years ago for 100.00.. It had a little wear on the bluing but overall was in good shape. I have seen your pics and it has gotten me interested in possibly getting one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Russian Commercial Mak comes in a standard version (8 round mags)--IJ70-17A and a "hi-cap"--IJ70-18AH. This is a double stack mag and OEM mags were 12 round. After the ban, mags that came in were 10 rounders as are all of the aftermarket (most of which are poor feeders). Baikal was the exporter but they are made by Inmez in Russia.

Since Klinton, you cannot import a Russian mak, so you have to look for someone willing to give one up. Some complain that the Larger grip is uncomfortable, but I don't find it so.

The IJ70 also has an adjustable rear "target" sight (that most people hate because it will snag clthing and is prone to come loose, and they also come in .380 as well as 9X18. You can also find IJ70-AS (stainless or nickel versions), but not in the hi-cap.

My IH70-18AH:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cigarman,
I have learned to love these fine pistols as well. I have acquired quite few in the last few months. I thank you for all your advice and knowledge that you have shared here and at Gunboards. I plan to puchase a PA63 and a AP-74 next. Take care.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re:

norfdet893 said:
They seem to be hard to find but I figured if I ever wanted to pick up a Makarov I would rather have a hi-cap one.
There is a Russian Hi-Cap on Gunsamerica.com right now

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976413079.htm

I'm not a collector (as a rare book dealer I am prohibit from collecting anything myself). While I recognize that the hi-caps have collector value, you should know that if you are looking for a hi-cap for carry, you might want to reconsider. The hi-cap mags are problematic, often causing misfeeds. They are also hard to find and expensive. I think that the mak's strong points are it's affordability and rock solid reliability, so I would try to avoild anything that could detract from these characteristics.

If you want a hi-cap in 9x18 makarov, I would recommend the CZ-83. It's a much better hi-cap piece.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In addition, there are mag extenders available from makarov.com that increase capacity to 10 rounds--same as the standard hi-cap.

My IJ70 has never had a misfeed of any kind and is very accurate. BTW, the CZ-83 is often hard to find in 9X18 mm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cigarman,
I had the chance to buy a R-61 today in good shape but I noticed when inspecting the pistol that 9mm short was engraved on the barrel where it is exposed in the ejection port. I asked the dealer and we tried a couple 9x18 and .380 rounds in the chamber and sure enough someone had replaced the barrel with one in .380. What is your opinion of this? Is it still worth picking up. The gun is a little rough but otherwise in good shape. He wants 110.00 OTD.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Checked one out today. It was quality but the thumbrest grips turned me off being a southpaw.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I finally found a range that would let me shoot my Tokarev TT33 with the 7.62x25 barrel rather than the 9mm barrel (that's a whole story unto itself).
Yesterday I shot it for the first time! People were watching via closed-circuit and when they saw the flames shooting out they were truly amazed. (FNM 7.62 ammo non-steel-core).
I love this weapon!!! First time out shooting freehand at 10 yards and getting 2" tight groups. Smooth trigger action, good grips, happy shooter!!!!
It was just pure pleasure!!!
Barry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re:

SgtB said:
Cigarman,
I had the chance to buy a R-61 today in good shape but I noticed when inspecting the pistol that 9mm short was engraved on the barrel where it is exposed in the ejection port. I asked the dealer and we tried a couple 9x18 and .380 rounds in the chamber and sure enough someone had replaced the barrel with one in .380.
9mm Short, 9mm Browning, 9mm Kurtz are all synonyms for .380

·
Registered
61 Posts
If anyone knows where I can get an R-61, please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are tough to find. There is a guy who posts oned for sale on Gunauction. He has been asking 275 for it. That is pretty high.

Your best chance is to watch the gunshows early the first day and hope that you can find one with the PA-63s.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re:

Buck said:
Checked one out today. It was quality but the thumbrest grips turned me off being a southpaw.
Don't worry about those. Most typically come with the original Red Star grips. The thumb rest grips are put on to help comply with importing rules amazingly enough. There are lots of grips available from http://www.makarov.com - the Red Star grips, Pearce and Makawrap.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Of the military grips I like the East German ones [black, usually with lanyard loop]. Nice'n comfy. Slimmer than the rest.
Of the aftermarket grips, the Pearce is the best, I think... not for concealment, possibly, but certainly for comfort!
Flyer

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just bought a '62 EG from Allan's Armory. They have a '64 there, but I've got to pace myself.

After Friday and the BBT delivery my '60 and '61 will have a new friend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Norinco chinese model 54 (Tokarev 33 clone) that I like shooting. Got it years ago - should have bought more than one. The flames and report coming out of it are impressive. At a local outdoor range after a summer shower, I fired about 100 rounds of 9mm under a shed roof then started firing the 7.62. The 9mm didn't knock water off the roof but the 7.62 made it look like it had started raining again. Anyone know if they make hollowpoints for this gun?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cigarman - I'm starting to see a Polish Makarov being advertised. What can you tell me about them? Are they any good? Thanks for any info. I'm dying for a Mak but broke from Christmas. You can bet I'll have one soon though - hopefully a Bulgie.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts