Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over on Ktog too. Sorry if you already saw it! Just wanted to make sure all the great people here saw it as well.

Made it to the range today with my recently returned P3AT fitted with a new chrome slide. They left my frame alone, seems they thought it was ok.

I noticed this morning that when I pull the assembly pin out the retainer (spring for the assembly pin) comes out of place and lodges between the frame and the polymer causing it (polymer) to bow out not allowing the assembly pin to fully seat. So I got out my trusty little screwdriver and after screwing with it for a short time I got it to pop back in place. Tried to pull the pin out once more and same thing. Then I tried to push in on the frame just to the left of the pin as I was pulling it out and that did the trick. Note: while firing the gun there was NO problem with this, only when I pull the assembly pin. Any thoughts on this?

I decided to give it a try so I headed out to the range. Had the following ammo with me: Winchester White Value Pack, American Eagle, S&B and Federal Personal Defense HS.

Let me note that my original blued gun had many extraction problems. I tried all the extractor mods, fluff n buff, new extractors you name it. I was fairly confident with it though I don't think I ever made it through a box of 50 rounds without some sort of FTE problem. Then the slide started rusting like a nail so I said screw it and sent the whole gun in to be repaired and fitted with a chrome slide. The only thing they ended up doing was putting on the chrome slide and test firing. They also sent me a magazine, I didn't send one in with the gun either.

I disassembled the gun, polished the chamber and feedramp then cleaned it and gave it a good lube job before I did anything else. To make a long story short I ended up putting about 150 rounds through today. NOT ONE PROBLEM! Couldn't believe it, though I was dreaming or something. I was only planning on 50 rounds then 100, then I ran out of ammo. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't make it jam!

Now I know how it feels to have a P3AT that actually goes BANG every time. Couldn't be happier. Just a little worried about the assembly issue mentioned above.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Good deal.
As long as the spring is controllable by pressing on it while you remove the assembly pin, and doesn't let the pin walk out, I don't see a problem.
Of course, you can always pull the frame and heat it with a hair dryer, pushing in the side a bit to stop this altogether.
Sounds like your gun's just fine now!
Flyer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flyer! That is what I figured. The assembly pin definatley stays put when shooting. That was my main concern. Probably won't mess with it as it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just posted something similar over at that other board about this. I am wondering how common this is.

Flyer, I have tried the hairdryer procedure. It did seem to remedy my trigger bar issue. But, the left side ready flexes outward when removing the ass. pin. I have tried to hold it firmly by hand. But, the ridge on the pin is difficult to force over the spring. There just doesn't seem to be enough polymer material in this part of the frame to sufficiently support and prevent it from flexing. Am I missing out on something here? Have newer frames been modified somehow to retain the spring better?

As it stands so long as the pin stays put while shooting I'm not overly concerned. It's really not a big deal to reposition the spring prior to reassembly if it pops out. I use a dental pick.

Time will tell. I hate like hell thinking I may have to eventually send it in for an overhaul. I really missed it while waiting for my HC parts to come back.

I can't wait to get my freshly upgraded pistol to the range this morning to give it a workout. The HC slide and parts make this $240 pistol look like a lot more... Awesome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts