Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sub 2000 Gen 2 in 9mm (Glock version) and I have added the tacticool charging handle rubber cushion and their bolt tube cover. I fully extended my stock so that I can get a better sight picture and thought it would help prevent getting a sore cheek when shooting over 100 rounds per range visit. Well, a day or so after shooting about 160 rounds through my Keltec my wife and I flew to Texas to visit her son and new grandson. I was shaving in the hotel one morning before going to visit them and noticed that I seemed to have a kind of dark green cast to my right cheek and it seemed a little tender to the touch. I looked closer and it appears I had a bruise from shooting the Keltec.

I am just wondering what others are doing to prevent this from happening. As I said, I have already installed the Taticool bolt tube rubber cushion and it doesn't seem to help any at all. So, now what? I really like shooting my Keltec but I don't want to come home from each range visit with a sore cheek. I heave read on-line where one fella says to help keep the cheek off of the recoil tube to raise the stock higher where it meets my shoulder to raise the sight line and to very slightly cant the carbine to the left, which will help keep the sight aligned and it will not affect my point of aim much. So, my next trip to the range I will try that. In the meantime, I thought maybe you folks could tell me what you may have attached to the bolt tube as a cushioning effect. Like maybe some of you have glued a strip of some kind of padding on the bolt tube or something (something that will stay put). Any thoughts? I appreciate input from any of you who have actually come up with a solution that works. Thank you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a Sub 2000 Gen 2 in 9mm (Glock version) and I have added the tacticool charging handle rubber cushion and their bolt tube cover. I fully extended my stock so that I can get a better sight picture and thought it would help prevent getting a sore cheek when shooting over 100 rounds per range visit. Well, a day or so after shooting about 160 rounds through my Keltec my wife and I flew to Texas to visit her son and new grandson. I was shaving in the hotel one morning before going to visit them and noticed that I seemed to have a kind of dark green cast to my right cheek and it seemed a little tender to the touch. I looked closer and it appears I had a bruise from shooting the Keltec.

I am just wondering what others are doing to prevent this from happening. As I said, I have already installed the Taticool bolt tube rubber cushion and it doesn't seem to help any at all. So, now what? I really like shooting my Keltec but I don't want to come home from each range visit with a sore cheek. I heave read on-line where one fella says to help keep the cheek off of the recoil tube to raise the stock higher where it meets my shoulder to raise the sight line and to very slightly cant the carbine to the left, which will help keep the sight aligned and it will not affect my point of aim much. So, my next trip to the range I will try that. In the meantime, I thought maybe you folks could tell me what you may have attached to the bolt tube as a cushioning effect. Like maybe some of you have glued a strip of some kind of padding on the bolt tube or something (something that will stay put). Any thoughts? I appreciate input from any of you who have actually come up with a solution that works. Thank you.
Redlion Indexing Handgaurd and a Red dot

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi buckeye, I have the nickel Boron model in 9mm so I refuse to cover the tube with anything. My thick beard seems to help. Maybe duct tape on your cheek. It works on everything else. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an observation since mine hasn't come in yet but has anyone thought about or tried using the black rubber or foam pipe insulation on their tube? i realize that you would have to cut ou enough on bottom for the operating handle to work properly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want to use the "iron" sights you have to be down tight on the tube ... That's the only bad thing about the Sub2K ... Since putting a red dot on mine it is way more enjoyable to shoot

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Neve had mine bruise. But then i use mcarbo recoil buffer. The new one allows charging handle to work as intended. Just came back from the.range after installing taller rear sight. It is much more comfortable to shoot . Dam I really like this gun. Thank god for MCarbo. The upgrades make this gun a better more fun weapon.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this site and new to sub 2k. Just bought my sub 2k and went to range. Just over 300 rounds and no trouble with cheek. Shoulder was bruised and sore, but cheek ok. Are you possibly putting a lot of pressure on your cheek? I made it point to just lightly press my cheek on the tube because I had read somewhere that it could be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now, that's a thought! Duck tape. But, I might pull a few hairs out when removing the tape from my cheek LOL

I have a red dot, but I hate it on the Keltec carbine. I like the Iron sights. I did replace the rear sight with an new M*Carbo rear folding sight. The aperature is much larger (hole to sight through) and the sight is taller than the factory one. But, I still can't wear electronic earmuffs and get my cheek down properly to sight-in, without knocking the ear muffs off my ears. I did try shooting at the outdoor range and using that kind of ear protection that is not electronic, but the design somehow muffles the noise. They worked great outdoors. But, on the indoor range they were pretty much worthless. I do NOT like indoor ranges, too noisy and confined.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never get a sore shoulder from shooting my Keltec.
I don't get a sore shoulder from shooting my 12 gauge shotgun either.
It is all in how you hold the gun.

But, I cannot get a good sight picture without laying my cheek against the bolt tube; thus, I get bruised when the gun recoils (blow back system that it is).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently put the mcarbo rear peep sight. It does require a higher check weld. You may e want to check it out. Money back warranty.

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed several MCarbo parts: Recoilless Charging Handle (heavier to slow bolt recoil down), Recoil Buffer, Bolt Tube Cover, Rear Tactical Folding Sight (Notched).
I have to raise the front sight post to match the higher rear sight and sight it in at my range. This should all add up to a more comfortable shooter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you could try buying and installing all known recoil reducing products. MCARBO has - heavier charging handle, buffer tube spacer(lifesaver looking thing), muzzle break. Keltec sells a heavier brass bolt on their site as well. I installed all these in mine plus a bunch of other MCARBO stuff and I'm really happy with it. I didn't think the gun was all that violent to start with but, those items definitely softened it up quite a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts