Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchaced a p3at and enjoy shooting it a lot. I do have a basic safety question: I intend to carry this gun with one in the chamber when concealed. I have friends that think this is a foolish practice, I think the gun is safe. I would appriciate some input.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
It would be a foolish practice NOT to carry with a round chambered... not to mention one that may cost you your life.
Keep the guard covered and the chamber full.
Flyer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I carry mine almost everywhere I go...front pants pocket or inside jacket pocket...no holster...always have one in the chamber...if the S--t ever hits the fan...there's no time to cycle the slide, and it takes two hands to do it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, I always keep one in the chamber. It won't fire without a deliberate pull of the trigger. It is very drop-safe, etc.. Think of it like a revolver.

Please don't take this wrong:
If your friends don't know much about firearms, maybe you shouldn't discuss your carry habits with them. I don't tell anybody when I'm carrying, don't want a "blabbermouth" at the wrong time. There are only 2-3 people that really know I carry.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I always carry a round in the chamber. A good holster will keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.

It is double action only and you intentionally have to pull the trigger to fire the gun

·
Registered
432 Posts
There is absolutely no reason not to keep one in the pipe unless your're an Isreali Air Marshal, in which case you've trained extensively on how to draw and rack at the same time. Seeing how as I don't think we have any of the aforementioned persons on this board (unlikely, anyway), I imagine you're better off carrying loaded.

I will say that I think that the P3AT is absolutely safe enough that I have slept with my P3AT in a front pocket every single night since I got a good holster for it (several months now), and I have no concern whatsoever about it. The holster keeps it in place in my pocket, and keeps the trigger safe. My combat light gets tucked into the waistband of my sleep atire, at the small of my back, and I'm ready to go at a moment's notice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
always chambered and with the trigger covered.... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you're not comfortable with the idea of carrying one chambered, then try (without any round in the mag or chamber) practice drawing, placing the gun in holster into your pocket and removing gun in holster from your pocket. Did you ever come close to pulling the trigger?

It's all about comfort. You develop comfort from weeks/months of carrying and that of practice.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Always.... otherwise, you might as well carry a baseball bat.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
This topic has been coming up a lot lately. Absolutely carry with one in the chamber and follow the 4 rules.

A good holster is imperitive. I won't carry with the belt clip for that reason -- I want the trigger covered.

I also agree not to tell others how you carry. That is one of the reasons many here stay fairly anonymous. People can blab at the wrong time (which is just about anytime), it gives you a tactical disadvantage, and can cause legal problems. (Yes officer, he just pointed a gun at me. It's in his right front pocket. Its a small black plastic gun with a sliver top thingy. = probable cause).

Duane
[email protected]
www.KDHolsters.com

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

DDGator said:
This topic has been coming up a lot lately. Absolutely carry with one in the chamber and follow the 4 rules.

A good holster is imperitive. I won't carry with the belt clip for that reason -- I want the trigger covered.

I also agree not to tell others how you carry. That is one of the reasons many here stay fairly anonymous. People can blab at the wrong time (which is just about anytime), it gives you a tactical disadvantage, and can cause legal problems. (Yes officer, he just pointed a gun at me. It's in his right front pocket. Its a small black plastic gun with a sliver top thingy. = probable cause).

Duane
[email protected]
www.KDHolsters.com
Duane,
Good reasoning. Don't show anyone your firearm unless you know they're a gun nut, ha, ha. I've had a lot of turnover in the office the past couple of years, and not a single employee had a clue that I was sitting behind my desk with a pistol in my pocket. The only friends that I've ever shown a gun to are the ones I know for sure are gun owners and avid shooters.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
When I carry in a Holster I keep a Round chambered with my P-32. If I use the belt clip with out a holster I do not. I find military carry very easy to deal with that carry method. Present gun, rack slide. If I am concealed then only I know I am going to do this so no real time is lost. Now when I carry unconcealed I always have a round chambered.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
One thing about military carry...
It wasn't intended for fast presentations. It was intended for safety, of the operator and those innocents around him.
In a military situation, if one's primary weapon failed, one generally would have plenty of time to ready their sidearm.
The same isn't true of civilian carry... if you're gonna need it, you're gonna need it yesterday.
That second it takes you to rack the slide may be the last second you spend on Earth.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Are we talking P-11 here? There is no way that I'm going to trust my life to my ability to rack a P-11. Most people would be very fortunate to be able to have time to recognize the threat and draw their weapon. The time it takes for a bad guy to close upon you the last ten feet really is the blink of an eye. Not to be a pessimist here, but I hope you're strong enough to wrestle the gun away from him if he gets his hands on it while you're trying to rack your slide. Also, the P-11 slide is not very grip friendly as it comes from the factory.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

KeysBear said:
Not to be a pessimist here, but I hope you're strong enough to wrestle the gun away from him if he gets his hands on it while you're trying to rack your slide. Also, the P-11 slide is not very grip friendly as it comes from the factory.
Regards, Keys 8)
:) I am and it is to me. :wink:

I was referring mostly to my P-32, but the P-11 does not present any difficulty for me to rack. As a civilian I would be even more likely to not need a hot weapon. Being concealed does give me buffer time. I plan to back off before I have to shoot, unless My life or some else's life is truly in jeopardy. It also gives me a Legal barrier. "I had to Fire Officer! He was going to kill me. He kept coming even after I loaded my weapon. I had no choice" This instead of the DA statement of "This man wielded a Loaded weapon carelessly and more than likely shot the poor BG by mistake!" My Pistols are Options in the escalation of force. Not the only option. Train as you carry (either way) and Aim Before You Shoot and you will win the Fight. YOMV

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well...
First thing... you should be absolutely POSITIVE you're going to need your pistol in the first place before you draw it.
Next, telling the Officer you had no choice even after you loaded your pistol will have absolutely zero effect... in fact, what do you think his opinion's going to be of someone who'd hoped the sight of an unloaded gun would derail a criminal's plans?
Also, a concealed weapon does NOT give you a time buffer... if anything it increases the speed with which you'll have to act.
Assume you're rounding a corner on foot headed to the corner market... and you see a man kneeling above a woman, ripping her clothes off. He's got a handgun in one hand.
What's your option?
Will you duck back around the corner?
Or will you draw IMMEDIATELY and fire as soon as his muzzle swings your way?
If you duck behind the corner, you've got two options:
1 - Walk away and pretend it never happened.
2 - Draw your weapon, chamber a round, and peek around the corner to get your head shot off.
If you draw immediately and fire when necessary, you'll likely win the battle.
Flyer

1 - 20 of 32 Posts