Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to get some use out of my Ohio CCW permit and carried my P3AT around last night.

No one noticed I was carrying. The only one I would have expected to notice is a friend who's an air marshall, and he didn't give me any indication that he noticed I was carrying. Of course I'm not sure he'd say anything if he did notice.

I ended up carrying FMJ ammo, because I haven't shot any hollow points through my P3AT yet. I tried hand cycling some silvertips and they were hanging up on the feed ramp. Ended up driving around looking for a place that sold ammo at 8:00 last night. THe only place I found hollowpoints was Wal-mart, so I've now got a couple boxes of Federal Hydrashocks. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot some this weekend.

I've noticed that people like Corbon, but I only know of one place that stocks much Corbon locally, and the owner of the gun shop managed to piss me off both of the two times I went in there. GUess I'll be mail ordering some ammo.

The big think I figured out is that I really hate the stupidity of car carry in Ohio. Switching my gun between my K&D billfold holster and the cheap nylon holster I wear in the car to meet Ohio's requirment of open carry in clear site in a car is a royal pain when you're getting in and out of your car a lot to stop at multiple stores.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
flatrock,
Dunno which shop ticked you off... the only shops in the Dayton area that carry Cor-Bon are "The Arms Depot" and "Jim's Guns", in Beavercreek.
The owners of both shops are both great guys, and if they make ya mad it's cause they're thinking about something else... they run the shops alone and things are hectic. So ya might want to give 'em another try...
If you've gone into "Jim's Guns" very often, it's likely you've seen me hanging around there... Jim's a good buddy of mine who's a great guy. He talks a LOT... but I can't imagine him making anyone mad!
Flyer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I din't know Jim's Guns carried Cor-bon. I bought my first handgun from Jim about 10 or 11 years ago. He's never given me any reason to be ticked off at him at all. I'll probably stop by there after work and pick up some .380 Corbon.

I didn't know the Arms Depot carried Cor-bon either. THey're not far from where I live, and the owner there also seems pretty nice the few times I've talked to him.

The place I have no intention of returning to is Gunsport in Centerville. A number of years back I was looking for Corbon ammo and they were the only ones listed as a reseller in the area.

I've been in there twice. Both times I was the only one in the store and both times he appeared to be irritated by me asking a few simple questions, and was downright rude. Apparently he sells mostly to law enforcement. He was busy getting an order ready for some police department. He asked me what I was looking for. I asked about Berettas and he said he didn't have any. He said Old English had them, but he didn't know why anyone would want to buy those crappy guns anyway.

I tried to ask him why he didn't like them and he told me that he already told me he didn't have them and that I should go to Old English, so I took his advice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim was out of .380 Corbon, but I got some Hornady XTP in 9x18 for my Mak so it wasn't a wasted trip.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Uh oh...
Ahem...
It's a good likelihood I swiped the last box he had!
Ah well... he'll be on the phone tonight to his distributor ordering more. 8)
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Flattrock,

I know what you mean. The first time you carry you are certain you have a neon sign flashing "GUN" in hot pink letters following you around. Believe me when I tell you I have carried a P-32 and a P-3AT in my pocket for years and no one has ever known. Heck, I have close friends that know I have a CWP and will jokingly pat my hip looking for a gun and never suspect I am, in fact, well-armed.

The Ohio statute sounds like a real mess. The more you have to handle a gun the more probablility for scaring the sheeple, or even worse, having an accident of some sort. (Granted -- it should never happen if we follow the Rules, but we are human).

Duane
[email protected]
www.KDHolsters.com

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Sometimes I wonder about our CCW law, here in Ohio...
It seems deliberately DESIGNED to encourage accidental discharges as you're continually swapping your gun back and forth between holsters as you enter and exit your vehicle.
Maybe they figure we'll just make one mistake too many after awhile and shoot ourselves.
Flyer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
car carry

i've been mulling the car carry thing in my head ever since i ordered a pocket holster for my p3at. i'm wondering if i could affix a strip of velcro tape to the back of it? it seems to grab any fabric it touches. my truck has a cloth covered console. why coudn't i lay the holstered gun on the console where it would be displayed in full view to meet the applicable law and then just pick it loose and transfer it to my pocket? the tape would insure it against going airborne if i shoud have to make a panic stop and might add to the anti slip properties in my pocket. the same would hold true for my p11. an inexpensive uncle mike, velcro on the back, stuck on the console. unholster it and slide the belt clip in my pants leaving the holster in the truck. wouldn't have to leave the truck to clip on or pocket the holster. i could even glue the opposite piece of velcro to the console. 8) this may even have possibilities for the seat adjacent to the driver. i'll tell you, one has to be versatile when you live in ohio! :D

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re: car carry

byron said:
i've been mulling the car carry thing in my head ever since i ordered a pocket holster for my p3at... why coudn't i lay the holstered gun on the console where it would be displayed in full view to meet the applicable law.
I'll let Flyer run this one down for ya... I'm busy fixing gittar strings... now WHERE is that cat???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not wanting to hijack a thread by any means, but what is the particular of the carry law in Ohio? My understanding was that the gun had to be in plain view "on the person," not just sitting out, such as on the dash, in the seat next to you, etc. :?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, in Ohio you've got to have your weapon visible to an officer looking in, ON YOUR PERSON in holster.
A holster that just sits on your leg or is attached with velcro won't cut it. That's why I got Fobus paddle holsters for everything I intend to carry.
I don't see this particular part of the law lasting long. There's going to be WAY too many people scared into dropping their bags of groceries at the sight of a man pulling a gun just after he's pulled up beside them and gotten from his car for it NOT to be amended. Plus... it's so stupid I can't imagine it'd last.
Yep, some stupid laws last a long time... but they at least have a purported purpose. THIS is so stupid even the cops processing the applications don't know exactly how to interpret it, and was only included to satisfy several Ohio law enforcement groups as a compromise to get Taft to sign the law.
So, whenever you see a Leo who's affiliated in any way or funded by the Fraternal Order of Police, THEY are responsible for it... NOT the various Sheriff's Departments across the state. The Buckeye State Sheriff's Association was with us from the very beginning and we wouldn't have gotten the bill through without their very vocal support.
Flyer

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
ohio ccw

the interpretation i was given was that, the firearm while being transported must either be locked in the glove compartment or locked in a strong box or in plain view. in "PLAIN VIEW" in your holster on your belt would not satisfy the wording of the statute. just goes to show how a bunch of polititions can gum up the works. 50 lawyers could come up with 51 interpretations of the law. :twisted:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I may have been spotted by someone while switching my P3AT into my carry holster at Wal-mart Saturday.

I didn't notice anything strange until I was in the store and had been shopping for a while. I noticed a police officer walking around the store looking around. I didn't think much of it and I saw him leave as I was heading up front to check out.

When I was walking out into the parking lot I noticed he was parked a few spots away from my truck, which was parked pretty far out. I walked right past him in his car and made sure to smile and nod at him. He returned my nod, but looked distracted. He was half filling out paperwork, and half looking around the parking lot.

Walked past, and put my purchases in my truck, and then walked by again on my way to get some food. If he was looking for me, I don't think he noticed me putting stuff in my truck. If he ran my plates, he'd know that I have my CCW.

When I got back to my truck with my Chineese takeout he was gone. I wonder if there's a way to find out if he was there on a man with a gun call or not? This was at the Wal-mart in Xenia.

·
Registered
467 Posts
gun call

flatrock,

The FCC requires all departments to maintain record of any and all telephone calls and radio dispatched calls!
If you really want to know go to the department and give them the time you noticed the cop and they will tell you.

You can just about figure anytime a gun is spotted the police will be called!

$800 Box

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
flatrock,
I go to that Wal-Mart all the time.
A whole lot of cops pull into their parking lot to finish paperwork, get lunch, and just spend their break fooling around there... there's quite a bit of stuff in that little plaza.
I doubt if you were "made"... and if you were, the cop acted properly and ran your plates, finding that you held a CCW. Then left.
If you WERE made, this isn't a bad sign... it shows the cops are behaving correctly.
Flyer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I was "made" the only reason I'd really like to know is so I can contact my State Legislature and let them know that responding to such man with a gun calls is not a good use of our limited law enforcement resources.

I really want to see them ammend the law to allow concealed carry in cars very soon.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
If I was "made" the only reason I'd really like to know is so I can contact my State Legislature and let them know that responding to such man with a gun calls is not a good use of our limited law enforcement resources.
Now THAT is a good point. One that even the antis involved in the decision-making process, and even the Governor himself, would have to concede immediately.
Sounds like a few emails explaining that possibility are in order! 8)
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
car carry

I have been thinking really hard on ways to carry while driving, I was thinking about getting a right handed outside the pants holster ( I am right handed ) wear it on my left side with the butt of the gun facing forward toward the steering wheel, and when driving just tuck my shirt tail in behind the grip of the gun, this would let the whole gun show!, then when I got ready to get out of the car just pull the shirt tail out from behind the grip and just let the shirt tail cover the entire holster!.

I do not have anyone after me!, so I think wearing a sholder holster would be just to much of a pain to put up with on a, Just In Case Situation.

Only thing about wearing it like I said above is that the law is not real clear on how much in plain sight they mean!, one cop might think it was OK! and another may say that he could not see the gun until I got out of the car.

$800 Box

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello, fellow Buckeyes (and others). My solution to the car carry "in plain sight" will be as follows: I've cut down a nylon/elastic/velcro bellyband rig to thigh length. While in the car, the pistol will ride there, either in the built in slit/holster, or I'll use the band like a belt and clip a paddle holster on it. Right before exiting the vehicle, I'll put the gun in my strong side belt rig and pull off the thigh contraption, leaving it (the thighband that is) handy but covered up. I'll reverse the procedure when getting in the vehicle. Note that I'm going to do this shifting stuff whilst I'm in the car, not outside next to it. This should only take a few seconds each time, and I'm not likely to have encounters with looky-lous or LE types during that brief period. Just my $.02, based on my "field research" these last several days....okay years! :wink:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Brian D.

That sounds like a good option. Rather than spend a bunch of money on a belly band only to cut it down, you may want to consider locating the elastic strap that has a velcro attachment that is used on pilot's knee boards.

They are usually about 3" wide and only cost a couple of bucks at your local pilot supply shop. The length is designed for use on the thigh. Once you put the strap around your leg while sitting in the car, you could slide an inexpensive paddle holster (like a Fobus) or a belt slide holster on the strap.

Or, RJ Hedley or one of the other holster manufacturers might be able to affix a piece of the "loop" side of velcro to a pocket holster and you could sew the "hook" side the thigh strap. The pocket holster could be temporarily mounted to the thigh strap with the velcro when driving, and easily pulled off and slipped into you pocket before exiting the vehicle -- leaving the thigh band in the seat of your car.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts