Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm... I'm not as impressed with KT service as I thought I would be. My P3AT has developed problems: First, the front of the barrel lug is mashed up a bit, very similar to what happened to KahrPacker's P357 barrel, but not as extreme. I'll post pictures when I can, but for now here's the thread with KarhPacker's barrel pictures: http://ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=628. I think that it may be related to another problem I had at the range Saturday. I was shooting UMC factory ball (i.e. nothing hot, and no reloads), but I had a round that failed to feed properly, and the shoulder of the brass caught on the lip of the feed ramp and bunged up the brass pretty good. It also set the bullet back probably at least 1/8th of an inch. I don't have calipers to measure oal unfortunately, but it's very obvious when you set this round next to another one from the same box.

My assembly pin has also started backing out after a mag or two of slow fire. I'm afraid to try any rapid fire at this point. I detected the problem before it screwed up my frame, fortunately!

So, I called KT today and asked (very politely) for Marty. The lady in customer service / tech support said that A) they've hired a "tech" named Justin to answer phone questions, and B) Marty is out sick today. OK, item B stinks for Marty, and I hope he gets well soon. I figured item A wouldn't be a problem. So much for that guess. I described the problems, and explained that I'd like to A) send in the top end for a look-see and a HC exchange and B) could they please send me a replacement assembly pin so that I can do the YZ pin mod (I didn't say YZ mod, just explained I wanted to notch it). His answer? Oh, just send in the whole gun so we can upgrade all the parts and look at everything, because the only way to fix everything is to let a 'smith work on it. I was a bit baffled about this perceived cold shoulder, after all the other positive experiences others have had here, which kinda' threw me off. I decided to drop the matter for the moment and end the call. I'm not sure how to proceed at the moment. I don't want to endure the wait and expense of shipping the gun back (and yes, I know KT reimburses for shipping). This is my "always" gun and I can hardly afford to be without it. I can't adequately conceal anything else in my routine daily attire. I have a couple hundred dollars I can spend on a new gun right now, and I may have to spend it on getting a second P3AT (which I've been wanting to do for a while anyway), but I've been saving at the moment for a Para-Ord C6.45 or a Springfield MicroCompact or a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I like .40 and .45 for carry, but my current .45 is too big and too heavy to conceal under anything less than a heavy coat.
<rant off>

Ok, any thoughts folks? Advice? Should I PM Bloodwalker, or should I just send the top end back for exchange? Or, should I buy a new P3AT and then send this entire one back? BTW, it's S/N H0FXX, so it's around 5-6 months old probably.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Sounds like their new "Tech Guy" has bit of catching up to do!
Seriously... if it's just your P-3AT's barrel hood getting banged up a bit, I'd not worry too much about it just yet... probably best to just wait 'till Marty's available again and can help you out personally. The .380 doesn't develop enough pressure to really destroy the pistol like the .40 or .357 Sig does!
At any rate I'd get a new assembly pin and do the mod on the current one. Can't hurt.
Flyer

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think I'd try again at trying to get an assembly pin.... normaly they just send them out right away....

I wonder if they know me over there... :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.