Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broken \"new\" P-32. I need Help/Advise/BEER

Okay, I threw in the "beer" to get the help and advise. Just sold my early # P-32 and purchased a "unfired" new in box P-32 from a stranger at a gun show. Clean cut young guy who told me his uncle was a FFL who has given him the gun and he wanted something different. Paid $200 for it. (new 209+tax). saved a whopping $25. Loaded with Silvertips, trigger goes all the way to back of frame, hammer back, will not fire. No matter how hard you pull. Did not try to dryfire the gun (tied at show) but did clean and oil before I took to range with 100 round of ammo. Help--What is the problem? Does it have to go back to KelTec? Advise--How do I send it to KelTec for repair?-Will they warrent it to me without the sales receipt??? I WILL NOT put it back in the box and find a second "Sucker". Any Help and Advise is appreciated. Sorry about the Beer thing. Cheap Trick.------------tom soutter, Dallas,TX

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
It sounds as if your trigger bar is either too long, or is out of place in it's slot in the frame. You can either pull the frame out of the grip and see for yourself, or just send the pistol back to KT who will honor the lifetime warranty, even though you aren't the original purchaser.
I'd give Kel-Tec a call and inquire about sending it in... the most common (and easiest) method of shipping is via UPS, and the gun can be delivered directly back to your door.
Here's the number: 1-800-515-9983.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Trigger Bar

On my P3AT I took a flashlight and looked down into where the slot for the hammer is, with it cocked I looked down the slot and just gently pulled the trigger until the hammer catch meet!, I do not have any problems YET!, but my trigger bar just barely makes contact with the hammer catch!, I wrote Kel-Tec and told them of this problem.

I told them that if someone would carry the gun all day that works outside in some of Ohios 17 below zero days the the hammer catch could could frezze solid and a fast sharp pull on the trigger could cause the hammer catch to chip and cause the trigger to pull all the way back without pulling the hammer back.

If this is the problem that you are having, look and see if there is a small chip on the edge of the hammer catch, if there is a chip you will need a new hammer!.

If it is not chipped look and see if the trigger bar is slipping under the hammer catch, if it is all you need to do is pull out the frame and take a pair of plyers and bend up the trigger bar area where it catches the onto the hammer catch.

$800 Box

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, now don't go bending the trigger bar!
It's of tempered steel... and any bend you put in it will weaken the steel until eventually it will break at that point.
Flyer

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Nope, now don't go bending the trigger bar!
It's of tempered steel... and any bend you put in it will weaken the steel until eventually it will break at that point.
Flyer
COME ON NOW FLYER!!!

You know darn well you can bend a trigger bar - or flat spring - or you can cut a few coils from a coil spring - or you can just tweak it a tad....

"LETS PLAY THE AMERICAN GUNSMITH'S FAVORITE GAME".......

HANDGUN IN A BAG!!!!
(crowd goes nutz)

I'll take "my wife took this apart" for $500 Flyer.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope.
Nope, nope, nope!
You'll remove the effectiveness of the temper if you bend it... and it's GOING to fail eventually.
You can clip off some coils from a spring, sure... but don't STRETCH the spring! It's gonna lose its integrity.
We're dealing with TEMPERED STEEL, here. Bend it, and you've ruined the temper at that spot.
Flyer

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It now works!! Thanks to all.

Thanks to everyone for your replys. Turns out that the pin behind the trigger had moved OUT and DOWN about a quarter inch. FLYER, is this the trigger pin you referred too?? I still don't know if the guy that sold it to me knew it would not shoot. Will give him the benefit of the doubt.-----And, Midiman, again, sorry for the wrong forum thing. won,t do that again.---Thanks---tls

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well, that's bizzare...
If the trigger pin moved down, the trigger shouldn't have been able to move all the way back at ALL!
It sounds as if your trigger pin backed out and the trigger axis was disengaged as a result.
Just push 'er all the way back in, make sure everything works ok, then apply some Loc-Tite to hold it in place for good.
This happens pretty often, by the way.
Flyer

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Nope.
Nope, nope, nope!
You'll remove the effectiveness of the temper if you bend it... and it's GOING to fail eventually.
You can clip off some coils from a spring, sure... but don't STRETCH the spring! It's gonna lose its integrity.
We're dealing with TEMPERED STEEL, here. Bend it, and you've ruined the temper at that spot.
Flyer
I think he was kidding.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Harlequin said:
Flyer said:
Nope.
Nope, nope, nope!
Flyer
I think he was kidding.
Umm... no.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re:

Midiman said:
Harlequin said:
Flyer said:
Nope.
Nope, nope, nope!
Flyer
I think he was kidding.
Umm... no.
He means I was kidding. I posted and Flyer seems to think I was being serious.

I'm a gunsmith by trade, and I get that bend it here, cut a spring there, tweak this alla' time. I also get alot of handguns in brown paper bags with excuses on why its not only broken, but in a million pieces.

I gues if yer gonna tinker with guns, a $250 Kel- Tec is better than a $750 Colt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay-I SAID I lied--

About the beer. Sorry. (made you look) And Flyer--when I said "down" I did not mean "down" into the gun. Down as in the pin was coming out of the gun.- Okay??---tls

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Color me confused.
I hope it's not another early Seventies flashback... they get annoying after awhile.
tls,
The trigger pin can go one of two ways:
Up, into the trigger into place and engage the trigger axis.
Down, out of the trigger and off to parts unknown if it completely makes good it's escape from said trigger.
That's about it. Now, if the pin comes DOWN out of it's allocated spot of real estate located in the Southern Trigger Suburbs, it's gonna stick out behind the trigger... and prevent the trigger from coming all the way back because IT is hitting the frame first.
Oh well... I've been confused before...
I'd like to buy the world a Coke,
And live in Harmony!!!
I'd like to -

Oh nevermind.
Flyer

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Later---

Flyer. I am out to (as in not "of")the country today. Will try to further confuse you later. Will shoot a box of hardball through the little BUG today, hopefully.------Check back for more fuzzy detail at a date to be determined by the fishing or lack off.--Thanks ---tls

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re:

Midiman said:
Harlequin said:
Flyer said:
Nope.
Nope, nope, nope!
Flyer
I think he was kidding.
Umm... no.
Umm... yeah. I was talking about Berserker's post above mine. A couple of other people jumped in before me. Jeez...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks--

Thanks for the thread with the pics. I have beat the hell out of mine with little progress.(down) Also Locktite. Will try again Sat. to get a box of hard ball through it. Flyer, here is a better explaination of up/down/etc. from The High Raod:

"Mine did the same thing and it was an east fix... Nothing broken, there is a pin going up through the underside of the trigger that walked out. Tapped it back in, and was good to go. However, didn't exactly inspire confidence and haven't carried it since... Which leaves it pretty much useless, since it ain't really good for nothing else - certainly not particularly fun to shoot."-----(wrong on that point-tls)

My trigger still goes ALL the way to the frame before release. Hello, UPS.-------tls

1 - 18 of 18 Posts