Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's start by saying I use Gun Scrubber on my guns. The only time I have used brake cleaner was on a well cosmoline Yugo SKS. Since the time I used the brake cleaner, I've seen post that state this is not a good product to use on guns. I've wondered about this since I saw the post (I believe it was in a post Midiman replied to). I went to Birchwood Casey's web site to find out what Gun Scrubber is made up of, and it is 97% Trichloroethylene (whatever that is), the other 3% is a propellant. The brake cleaner I used on the Yugo was Prestone Brake Parts Cleaner, which is a non-chlorinated product. The composition of Prestone Brake Cleaner is as follows:

1.Acetone
2.Heptane
3.Xylene
4.Ethylebenzene
5.Propane

Of the above list I recognize Acetone and propane. Acetone has been around for years, and the propane is of course the propellant, no idea what the other three ingredients are. Midiman, could you or another more knowledgeable member please explain in a little more detail why one is good and the other isn't? Flammability is of course a concern in the brake cleaner while Gun Scrubber won't burn. What else?

MD

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well...
I dunno bout the rest, but the acetone and the xylene are gonna think the plastic components of your pistol are great for turning into messy black goo.
I'd stick with the Gun Scrubber.
Flyer

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right about the plastics, I should have clarified that I meant strictly metal parts---I have no intentions of switching to the brake cleaner, just wondered why it would be bad for the metal parts of guns.

MD

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like it for getting ever bit of anything (lube and dirt) off of metal parts. It is also good for drying if you have just used water to wash something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Heptane is an industrial cleaner; I would not use it on wood or plastic.
1:1:1, or trichlorofluoroethelene, is virtually identical to Gun Scrubber, but I don't know about pricing. I ordered it by the case for my Arms Room as an Armorer. It was (supposed to be) used for cleaning electronic equipment, but it worked great on M16's, M1911A1's, M9's, M10 S&W's, M60's...well you get it! :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:

entropy said:
Heptane is an industrial cleaner; I would not use it on wood or plastic.
1:1:1, or trichlorofluoroethelene, is virtually identical to Gun Scrubber, but I don't know about pricing. I ordered it by the case for my Arms Room as an Armorer. It was (supposed to be) used for cleaning electronic equipment, but it worked great on M16's, M1911A1's, M9's, M10 S&W's, M60's...well you get it! :D
entropy, let me be the first to welcome you! Guns Scrubber is 97% trichlorofluoroethelene. Could you share where you bought the generic by the case????

MD

·
Registered
23 Posts
GSA Depot at Stockton, Ca. I was in the Army at the time. That's also why I don't know much it cost, you were paying for it! :lol:
I also got it at the SSSC (Self Service Supply Center) at Ft. Ord, Ca, where I was stationed. When they had it, which was for maybe a day after they got thier truck from Stockton. :wink:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re:

entropy said:
GSA Depot at Stockton, Ca. I was in the Army at the time. That's also why I don't know much it cost, you were paying for it! :lol:
I also got it at the SSSC (Self Service Supply Center) at Ft. Ord, Ca, where I was stationed. When they had it, which was for maybe a day after they got thier truck from Stockton. :wink:
Now that's going to be a hard price for any supplier to match :) :)

MD

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Uh...Gun Scrubber contains trichloroethylene, not "1:1:1, or trichloroflouroethelene" -- not sure what that is...

Trichloroethylene (also known as TCE) is a known carcinogen in animals, so if you're gonna be using it in "bulk" quantities make sure that you wear viton or neoprene gloves and have adequate ventilation to maintain vapor concentrations less than 50ppm. (use it outside -- or say, in a garage with the door open and a fan pulling air out of the garage)

The other chemical described in the thread may have been:

1,1,1-trichloroethane, which is methyl chloroform -- an anesthetic (doubtful) -- or

1,1,2-trichloroethane, an industrial solvent -- or

1,1,2-trichloro-1,2,2-triflouroethane, (Freon 113) which is sometimes used as a solvent in liquid form -- however, it is a volatile liquid and VERY nasty if vapors are inhaled (can cause cardiac arrythmias) -- or

trichloroflouromethane, (Freon 11).

Sorry for the chemistry tangent, but the safety engineer in me wanted to pass along to be careful when considering the use of "generic" substances that may have a similar sounding name to an ingredient in a commercial product.

You can find the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber here: http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/msdspdfs/33246-gsa26.pdf

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re:

edit---- Guns Scrubber is 97% trichlorofluoroethelene. Could you share where you bought the generic by the case????

MD[/quote]

:oops: :oops: In the above post I said Gun Scrubber was 97%Trichlorofluoroethlen---It should have said it was 97% trichloroethylene as flyandscuba stated. Had it right in the first post when I compared the ingredients for brake cleaner and Gun Scrubber; then completely blew it in the above post------

MD

·
Registered
23 Posts
:oops: Yes, I also meant trichloroethylene. IIRC, the cans did say 1:1:1 on them. I was in a Medical unit, so I guess it's possible I was numbing the weapons... :lol: About the freon, we had a guy in our unit who would inhale the freon from the spray cans they used to keep FOD off their tools, It dropped his voice about two octaves, (cool demon voice) gave him a rush similar to amyl nitrite, and then gave him bad headaches. :?

·
Registered
37 Posts
1:1:1, or trichlorofluoroethelene

Let me add my $.02
1:1:1 or "trike" as we always refered to it, was an amazing cleaner. It removes EVERYTHING! Unfortunately, the only thing it does better is destroy OZONE and the enviroment. We ( the Military) cannot order it or use it anymore... sniff sniff. :cry: :cry:

There are available "earth friendly" dielectric cleaners available that work ALMOST as well. If I can find the names I will post them.

Like I said just my $.02

/r
Treb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts