Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for the past two months at getting a high powered wheelgun for my birthday. The utility is for bear defense and range asskicking.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
You missed this thead:

http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=334

The price and weight factors are over your stated goals but if I'm looking at a bear... this is what I want in my hand if I can't have a bazooka... oh, wait... this IS a bazooka! If you're looking at a bear a .357mag will do... I'd prefer a .44mag minimum myself. I'm not a hunter and I'm sure the bears you're talking about aren't the size of grizzlies... but if I have to shoot one, I wanna know it's dead.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The price and weight factors are over your stated goals but if I'm looking at a bear... this is what I want in my hand if I can't have a bazooka... oh, wait... this IS a bazooka! If you're looking at a bear a .357mag will do... I'd prefer a .44mag minimum myself. I'm not a hunter and I'm sure the bears you're talking about aren't the size of grizzlies... but if I have to shoot one, I wanna know it's dead.
Party!!! Party!!!
The very first run-on sentence ever posted by midiman anywhere on any forum in the history of mankind!!!
:cheers: :drink: :dunce: :jester:
Eh? Oh... Don't overlook the Ruger .480.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yep, no doubt my hand cannon would dispatch a bear. However, the weight and price don't exactly fall into your criteria.

S&W has come out with a smaller version -- but the price is still over a grand. I also pity the poor soul who decides to shoot it....especially in a hunting/defensive situation without hearing protection! :shock:

http://www.swfirearms.vista.com/store/index.php3?cat=293613&item=864419&sw_activeTab=1

Maybe a good 12 ga. shotgun with a pistol grip for $200 might be an alternative?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Speaking of bears......

Wouldn't want to run into one of these! :shock:

This guy was hunting for deer or elk in Alaska, and this charged him from out of the bush. He emptied something like a 7mm Rem magnum into it -- and it was still breathing after it dropped. He reloaded and finished it off with a head shot.

No, the game wardens didn't let him keep it -- but what pictures! Look at the guy's face -- it that the expression of someone who's almost become lunch??

·
Registered
345 Posts
.44 Mags can be had for under $500. A new S&W 629 is about $650 IRRC so a used one would likely be in that range. Used Ruger Super Blackhawks are around $300. Check pawn shops, gun shows and the internet.

If you're looking to buy a bear defense tool, then buy one. For my money the cartridge had better begin with "4" or "5".

If, on the other hand, you're really looking for a utilitarian handgun, then the .357 is a good all-around choice, but certainly not optimum for dangerous game IMHO.

Allan

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Holy Curving Claws Batman!!!
Dang... if THAT puppy came after me, I'd heartily endorse the concept of a rocket-pack over ANY commonly available firearm!
Flyer

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
If I really thought a bear was a danger, and I had to stick around the $500 point, here's what I'd have on me:

.480 Ruger Super Redhawk, kicks the same as a .44 Mag but with a whole LOT more energy.
Nice guns!
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just for the record -- that bear above is the largest recorded brown bear in the world. In the interest of not alienating everyone after turning their stomachs, I won't post the picture of the bear's recently deceased human meal that came along with the two pics posted above by F&S. Note that his choice of carry piece was NOT appropriate to bear country...

The following (first two) pictures are of a guy who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week when a large brown bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded his 7mm Mag Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest brown bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport (to remind tourist's of the risks involved when in the wild).

Based on the contents of the bear's stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past
72 hours. His last meal was the unlucky nature buff in the third picture below. The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol were the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found.

Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the brown with four shots (they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body) it only wounded the bear - and probably angered it. The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.

Think about this - If you are an average size man; you would be level with the bear's belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
That bear would never have even got near me. he would have had to climb over the mound of yuky brown stuff I would have left behind just before running screaming from the area! Remember the scene from Jurassic Park II where they find the Sat Phone?? Double that!

Repeat after me "I will not carry my P-32 in Bear country" "I will not carry my P-32 in Bear country" "I will not carry my P-32 in Bear country" "I will not carry my P-32 in Bear country"

Anyone think the .223 with SS-109 worth having in that environment? Legal to carry with 30's if not hunting?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Not me!!

I ain't goin' huntin' no bears! The only thing that'll work on em is a flame thrower!! :lol:
og

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

madman said:
Just for the record -- that bear above is the largest recorded brown bear in the world. In the interest of not alienating everyone after turning their stomachs, I won't post the picture of the bear's recently deceased human meal that came along with the two pics posted above by F&S. Note that his choice of carry piece was NOT appropriate to bear country...
While the picture of the bear is real... the accompanying post you found with the pictures of the person he supposedly ate are not. That was a well documented hoax.

G

·
Time for a Kel Tec shotgun. 8 round magazine and a pistol grip stock. Tac Star side saddle and a foreend with a tac lite.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At any rate, I gather that a .44 would be better than .357...right?
Last question: 4"or 6" ?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Charger01,

I'd take a .44 over a .357 -- probably in a 4" barrel (preferably ported/compensated) for ease/comfort in carry, rather than the six if it is strictly for hiking/defense, etc. If you intend to hunt with it -- go with the 6" and get a good scope.

This load -- 305gr Penetrator -- should be suitable for critters with teeth and claws:

flyandscuba

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Or...
You can always get a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun.
Cheaper than a good revolver, more accurate, and packs a superior punch.
Flyer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.