Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those with SU-16s having serial numbers below 100:

You may want to call Kel-Tec to get some new firing pins. I was told that they ironed out a few bugs after about number 100 - they mailed me two firing pins - nice folks. Not sure the details of why I should replace my firing pin, but I will compare the two pins with a micrometer and post my findings.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Sven,
As I understood it the first 100 SUs went to KT employees and such. I received one of the very first ones after that, and it's under #150.
It's possible a new Serial # Range was designated for CA sales....
Flyer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sven and I bought our guns from the same dealer. In TX. :D

There was a change in the pins after SN 100; apparently the early ones were prone to breakage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Sven,
As I understood it the first 100 SUs went to KT employees and such. I received one of the very first ones after that, and it's under #150.
It's possible a new Serial # Range was designated for CA sales....
Flyer
I don't think they changed any serial numbers since kel-tec doesn't offically sell ANY guns to Kali...pistols included. Mines in the 370's so it doesn't seem like they changed anything anyhow as there are others with serials in the 300's from other states.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Serial on this one is N008X. Do you guys have the N at the beginning?

Now I get to learn to take it apart to install the new firing pin.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Sven,
Nope! No letters on mine... you've got the new "Homeland Security" approved models.
All KT guns have serials that begin with letters.
I'm glad to hear they're available in Kali. They're a great rifle.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

sven said:
Serial on this one is N008X. Do you guys have the N at the beginning?

Now I get to learn to take it apart to install the new firing pin.
My Rifle is a N002x. The pin is super easy to remove after you learn how to remove the carrier. Push out the cross pin and ring (#134 & #294) then the Firing pin comes right out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The following image was "borrowed" from my friend sven and shows the old-style firing pin (bottom) with the new-style pin (top):

My SU-16 is numbered in the high 700s and has the old-style pin, so it looks like we can't use the <100 rule. Check your gun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well, I guess they really are prone to breakage. Mine broke a couple days ago, just got around to taking it apart. Anyhow, it broke right behind the the second enlarged part. Sucks too as I was just about to try it out at 100 yards for the very first time too. So it was shooting fine, then I pull the trigger and nothing. I tried to pull the bolt back to clear the round and it was seriously stuck. I pulled and pulled to no avail. Finally took a screwdriver and pushed the hammer back manually some and the bolt was able to go. I had a very light strike on the primer. Tried a couple more times with a very light strike each time. I think it locked up as the broken part probably was lodged in there somehow. Guess I'll be calling Kel-tec tomarrow and asking for those new pins.

If you haven't stripped your rifle yet to see which pin you have then do it NOW and if you have the old style get some new ones. They truly are prone to breakage. Oh yea, mines in the 300's as well so check no matter what the serial # is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got my new pins in today and put it all back together. Also switched off the red dot and put on a real scope and will hopefully go try it out at 100 yards tomarrow and see how it does.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Give em a call and they will send you some more. I had like 400-500 rounds thru mine when it crapped out. It only takes 2 minutes to call and they are free so that way your rifle won't be out of commision when it breaks. The new pin is much sturdier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts