Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my P32 back (had sent in with cracked slide). I found that the slide would not close unless I used a small screwdriver to reach in and push the slide lock down. I also noticed a bulge in the grip right at the assembly pin. I did a little quick search here and figured that the spring had come out of its position. I quickly pulled the frame up from out of the grip and confirmed as much. I reinstalled the pin correctly and everything worked fine so - off to the range. After exactly six shots - the same thing occurred.

So... do I need a new spring or slide lock?

At the risk of sounding like a complainer, also consider the following: I had asked for a chrome or parkerized exchange, whichever was available sooner, (credit card # provided) and it came back with a blued slide. Worse, the slide has considerable pitting on the left side and the blueing is rubbed off on a raised portion on the right side (looks like holster wear). The barrel does not look new either, but it is not my old one. Are they recyling parts now?

I don't know if I should send it back or try to fix it. Sending it back would probably keep me from entering that class in the Postal Match.

On the bright side, it appears to have a new grip, although the old one was fine. Any ideas?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
You might try pulling out the frame again and heating the side of the grip with a hairdryer, and pushing it inwards, holding it until it cools.
This will keep pressure against the spring, and should prevent it from slipping out again.
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flyer. Are you saying then that there's no problem with the pin or the slide lock. Just the loose fit of the frame not keeping it in place? And, what do you make of the slide/barrel combo they sent me?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, it's the grip that holds things in place, and this helps out a LOT with that.
About the slide and barrel - to the best of my knowledge KT only sends out NEW parts, and all old slides, barrels, and frame are battered into scrap.
I'm not sure what happened in your case... unless the gunsmith performing the work tried several assemblies until finding the one with the best fit/function, and it just happened to be one with a poor finish.
Yep, it's a pain... but having a running pistol is always more important than how it looks!
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re:

Flyer said:
Yep, it's a pain... but having a running pistol is always more important than how it looks!
Flyer
Agreed! I was just looking forward to a change. That parked P32 with the olive green grip in the brochure looks great. I wonder if they'll just send me a new slide and barrel for $20 and let me mail mine back (or keep 'em). Now that I've had the frame out of the grip (easy), I'm thinking I could get creative. I'll try the blow dryer fix tomorrow. I'm leaving for New Mexico Monday and really want to take the 32 for stealth. Them stinkers don't reciprocate like Tx and La.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flyer: Just got back from New Mexico but here's what transpired before I left. I removed the frame, heated up (blow dryer) the area of the grip where the assembly pin/slide lock spring lives, and pushed the area inward. It seemed to work well as the grip stayed "indented". Then I reasembled everything, the grip/frame stayed tight against the spring, and the gun seemed to cycle just fine. Shortly thereafter, I removed the assembly pin and it pulled the spring out of place AGAIN. Oh well...

I reassembled the gun and the grip had stayed pushed in so that everything pressed tightly against the assembly pin/slide lock spring as before. I called KT and talked to a tech rep and asked what they had done to the gun. A moment later, Marty was telling me that he had basically replaced everything! I mentioned your (Flyer) fix for the assembly pin spring and he concurred that that was the appropriate fix. He apparently used a newer pin that has a sharp cut in the shoulder which keeps them in better. (I didn't know this had been an issue for the P32, only the 3AT.) Apparently, I just need to be a little more careful and not just yank out the pin, we'll see. Marty also said that he was out of chromed slides/barrels and would just send me one ASAP if I would return the blued one.

When I had the frame out, I did a complete F&B including trigger bar, slide rails, feed ramp, etc. I then mil-teced and "baked" all metal parts This looks like a really nice barrel and the slide cleaned up pretty well so I think I'll just keep (and pay for) this top when the chrome arrives. Although I haven't had a chance to shoot this one again, it rode in my pocket to New Mexico and back (P11 in console). I'm leaving San Antonio for Louisiana tomorrow where I hopefully will get some rounds through this gun and try to find an NRA member for the Postal Match...

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Cool!
Yep, the assembly pin, if it's a tight shouldered one, can pull on that spring like you wouldn't believe. I've taking to just "wiggling" mine around in little circles until it's free of the spring... this seems to make things a bit easier.
Actually, the spring in the P-3AT is a bit tougher than the P-32s. This is because it's ONLY funtion is to hold the pin, whereas in the P-32 it works the slide lock. Just a little difference in diameter/strength can make a BIG difference when takedown time rolls around.
Oh yeah, the match: Remember, it's now officially on. Starting July 1 we started taking in targets. So... punch LOTS of holes in them there practice targets!
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally had a chance to empty a few mags at a friends farm in SW La. The assembly pin/slide stop spring issue seems resolved thanks to the "blowdryer" fix. I did notice that several times I had a FTF - always the last round - in all three mags 7, 8 and 10 rounders. That last round always partially inserted but not enough for the slide to close. Not a big issue but what'cha think?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Failures to feed the last round are mostly associated with (don't hit me!) limpwristing.
The gun is at it's lightest, and the wrist must be locked appropriately.
Next time, make a conscious effort to lock your wrists on the last round, and see what happens. I'll bet you'll be surprised!
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah... yes, of course... I've heard that before and frankly was not paying much atention to my shooting. I was popping a plastic bottle floating in the bayou just making sure that the gun was cycling properly and that that spring was staying put (it was).
I was thinking that maybe the mag springs were to blame, but in retrospect, in my hurry to fire off some quick rounds I probably limpwristed the lighter (emptier) pistol.

Just goes to show, "when you hear hoof-beats, think horses, not zebras!"

This gun seems to shoot a bit lower than it's predecesor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts