Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
I bought a Colt AR/15 right after September 11th, 2001. I am sorry to say that I have yet to shoot it. I previously had a Bushmaster Commando (11" barrel with the god awful long supressor) I sold it when I needed some $$$$. I missed it so much that I bought the Colt some years later. Most of the problem is that where I live there was only one range to shoot out to any distance (25yds to 300yds). It is almost 45 minutes away. On the other hand there are several pistol ranges within 10 minutes drive from my house, you can shoot AR's there but what fun is wasting 223 ammo at 25yds. I think at the time that I was going to enter (3) gun matches with it (I also bought the mossberg 500, and haven't shot it either). I'll keep it because it was a good deal and now they are hard to come by 'round here) Anyway, it seemed you wanted to talk about them so here it is.. I am not as "up to speed" on them as I would like. I don't know modifications of specs, so maybe you can educate me.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
45 minutes is tough. I have two outdoor ranges within 10-15 minutes of me. One belongs to my local Rod & Gun Club and only goes out to 200yds... the other belongs to a club one town over and goes out to 500. We've always had NRA affiliated high power matches at our club but the other one had few organized activities.

At the end of this year's season, our club's high power director and R.O. decided it was time to get something going out there so we could shoot cross course... which left me holding the bag as high power director and R.O. at our club. We'll stagger the weekends and be able to shoot twice as many matches a year without having to travel an hour or more. Which means I gotta get cranking on this single stage press this winter to crank out enough ammo to make it through the season.

Which Colt do you have? They tend to be "iffy" on the mil-spec side of things... some of them use a non-standard take down pin and some use a non-standard trigger pin. Makes for interesting but not insurmountable mix/match and customization problems.

G

·
I have the full size version with the A2 sights. 1 in 9 twist with the heavy barrel, flash supressor, bayonette lug, etc. It looks like the same thing that the military uses without the selector switch. I like it. I wanted an M4 with the detachable carry handle but when I called the company they didn't have any, didn't know when they would get any, but they did know that the cost was going up between 150.00 to 180.00. Other than that I don't know much else about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Midiman, I have a couple questions if you have a minute or two. I want to get an M4. I have been looking at one of the J&T M4 Kits. Would it be better to purchase a complete rifle?
My other considerations are the Armalite and Bushmaster models. I am very thrifty and want the most for my dough.
What is the price range of the pre-ban lowers? I don't have any problems with the post ban kits but they are a little more expensive than the preban. What would you recommend?
There such a wide range of makes, models, options and opinions on what to buy, chrome lined vs. chrome molly etc. etc. Thanks :?

H1

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re:

Humble1 said:
Midiman, I have a couple questions if you have a minute or two. I want to get an M4. I have been looking at one of the J&T M4 Kits. Would it be better to purchase a complete rifle?
My other considerations are the Armalite and Bushmaster models. I am very thrifty and want the most for my dough.
What is the price range of the pre-ban lowers? I don't have any problems with the post ban kits but they are a little more expensive than the preban. What would you recommend?
There such a wide range of makes, models, options and opinions on what to buy, chrome lined vs. chrome molly etc. etc. Thanks :?

H1
I'm not familiar with any of the kits and haven't heard of J&T. I don't know how far broken down they are and how much assembly is required. You can spend several hundred dollars on all the tools you need to really build one from nuts, bolts and springs up... I know... I did. A preban lower will run you between $1000 and $1500 and higher... they are MUCH more expensive than the post bans, contrary to your post. As for barrels, your choice will be determined by your intended use. Since you've specified an M4, I doubt the intended use is match shooting so I would go with a chrome lined bore... much longer life, easier to break in and easier to clean. I use chrome lined bores even in my match AR because the difference at this stage is probably so negligible that I couldn't shoot better with an expensive match grade barrel. I hit 14 points under NRA Master level with a standard 20" heavy chrome lined Bushmaster barrel in October.

·
Registered
21 Posts
J&T kits come with complete and headspaced uppers. You drop it right on the lower and push in the pins. Putting the lower together is a little tricky, but if you are patient, good with small pins and springs, read directions before you start, and do it either in a well lit room with a clean hard floor or on a big whilte sheet (50-50 chance of a small spring going missing) you should be able to do it.

I concur with the chrome lined barrel. That's the onne hangup with kit building. only a few places offer them, and only on a few config's. Take a look at Model 1 sales, Sherluk, M&A.

If you build, you need a stripped lower. Rock River Arms are good for the money. I've got a Mega lower i just LOVE and it was $89 shipped to my FFL holder.

CDNN Investments is selling Bushmaster A2 upper post ban 16" LIGHTWEIGT barreled carbines for $699 right now. That's hard for me to pass up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 16" Colt with the factory .22LR rimfire adapter I let the youngins use when we have to shoot at the indoor range. It is also convenient for the initial transition from the Ruger 10/22 to 223.

I have found it to be very reliable. But its accuracy leaves something to be desired (6"-10" groups at 25 meters). I suspect that is just inherent in the design. Has anyone tried any other brands of rimfire adapters? Are they reliable? Accurate?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Midi or anyone,

What would anyone suggest for a first AR. and where to buy. I have a bunch of AK'S and such but nothing in the .223. I can't decide which way to go, I have looked at the Bushmasters and kind of like them. I don't want the muzzle break and I like the idea of the A3 removable handle. I do want to put a scope on and can spend 700-900 OTD. Thanks for any info.

SKB

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
SKB,
Bushmaster, definitely.
You can get the XM15 A3, with removable carry handle. It'll run right at that $900 range, or maybe a tad more, but it's worth it, indeed!
Personally I like Bushmasters better than current Colts.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re:

Flyer said:
SKB,
Bushmaster, definitely.
You can get the XM15 A3, with removable carry handle. It'll run right at that $900 range, or maybe a tad more, but it's worth it, indeed!
Personally I like Bushmasters better than current Colts.
Flyer
What he said... unless you're really looking for urban usage, I'd go with a 20" straight barrel.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Les Baer ARs are just FINE!!!
Unfortunately their price tag is in the upper stratosphere...
Fact is, a good Bushmaster will give you all the accuracy you're ever likely to need unless you're a SERIOUS, pro competitor. In that case, you'd likely buy the Les Baer for competition only, not as a sporting rifle to be carried afield... one that might get dinged up a bit. And, if you're like me, I can guarantee it WILL!
For all-around use, the Bushies are fine. Les Baers are worth the money, yes... but only if you need a super-accurate AR right out of the box.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a friend I shoot matches with regularly who bought a totally tricked out, $3000 Les Baer this year. I still beat his high score this year by 4 points with slightly modified Bushmaster. The question is... can YOU shoot 1/2moa groups? The gun won't do it for you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Aw, man, what a trash talk opportunity bonanza!

Why don't you suggest he shoot your AR so he can see how many pennies he needs to save to buy a rifle good enough to beat you next year?

G

·
Someone asked earlier about a good .223. Olympic Arms used to make a "plinker". I had considered buying one but wanted a gun for 3 gun matches and got a Colt instead. However, for someone that wanted to get into the .223 realm for a little bit of money this seemed to be the one. It was around 550.00, fixed stock and carry handle with A2 sights. The only big difference was that it had a cast receiver instead of a milled. I contacted Olympic Arms and asked them about the wearability etc, and they said that they would not reccomend it for matches but it would hold up just fine. It had the 16" barrel with no flash hider. It was a decent enough rifle and OA said it would fit GI mags and parts should swap ok.

What is a good tactical sling for a full size Colt?

Suggestions please,

Thanks.[/quote]

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re:

Buck said:
Aw, man, what a trash talk opportunity bonanza!

Why don't you suggest he shoot your AR so he can see how many pennies he needs to save to buy a rifle good enough to beat you next year?
I think my point was... the $2000 difference between a 3/4moa AR and a 1/2moa AR doesn't mean squat unless you're shooting at the top end of the game, which at the 450 - 460 point level, clearly, neither of us are.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I finally found an AR I liked the feel of.
Bushmaster Match V carbine. Unlike every other AR I've ever picked up, this one is well balanced. Most are muzzle heavy.

Shoots with holes touching at 100 with Black Hills, 1-2" with Winchester white box and 62 grain hunting sp.
I put a Nikon Monarch 3-9 on it.
I'm going to get an ambi safety.

Any recommendations for grips? Must be ambidextrous.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts