Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just puchased a Rock River Ar-15 and have a few questions. It has the 1in 9 barrel and I always forget which ammo works best in these, 55gr. or 62gr.? Also is there a problem with using some of the cheap russian ammo in these like Wolf or Silver Bear? Thanks for the help........

Have any of you had problems with Thermold or any of the other synthetic mags. in these rifles?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The tighter twists work best with the lighter bullets, and vice versa. 1 in 9 is an almost perfect compromise, and works well with most everything... probably better with the 62 grainers than 55, but will handle both just fine.
DON'T put any Russian-made ammo through your AR! This is steel-cased, VERY dirty ammo that works fine in AKs, but which will have you cursing like a thirty-year Navy man at your perfectly good AR within ten minutes after it's completely fouled the action with powder residue and melted varnish. It's a no-no for an AR!
The ONLY synthetic magazine I recommend is the Israeli Orlite magazines. GI aluminum mags are the best way to go, even though they're getting a tad pricy.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
The tighter twists work better with HEAVIER bullets. A 1:9 will stabilize anything from 55 (or less) - 72gr. If you want to shoot those heavy 80 grainers for 600yd performance, you need a 1:8 or 1:7 barrel.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yeah, what Midi said.
Funny; I knew exactly what I wanted to say, then went and said it backwards!
Ah well. It's been wunna those days... :roll:
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
DON'T put any Russian-made ammo through your AR! This is steel-cased, VERY dirty ammo that works fine in AKs, but which will have you cursing like a thirty-year Navy man at your perfectly good AR within ten minutes after it's completely fouled the action with powder residue and melted varnish. It's a no-no for an AR!
Used any in your SU Flyer? I shot a few mags with out problems, but would like others input.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, none through my SU either, although I suspect function would be better, with it's piston-type gas system that's far less dependent on clean ammo than an AR's.
I dunno. Maybe there's just something about putting steel cases into a steel chamber that bugs me... I want the case to be a whole LOT softer than the chamber of my gun!
Flyer

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you have a army surplus store in your town they are a good source of used alum.30 rd.GI magazines. They usually run $15-$20 each.

Then I like to replace the follower, spring, and base plate with a magazine rebuild kit from Bushmaster or Cheaper Than Dirt. The kit runs about $6.00. The magazine won't be the prettist thing, but they work 100 times better than any cheap mag.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I own three ARs with about 8k rounds of WOlf split evenly between them. It has worked fantastically in both my bushmasters and my Eagle Arms. Failure rate is a bit better than Lake City a friend swears buy and what I used to use before God created wolf ammo. I do not buy any other ammo for sport shooting. I hate to waste money. The only other Ammo I use is the black hills supplied by the Sheriff's department for duty use. Your RRA is a quality product, it should work just fine with wolf. Also, 1-9 twist is optimal for 62gr and will work just fine for 55gr. Please stop into Ar15.com as there is a ton of information for you there plus the equipment exchange as midi mentioned is great for deals. I picked up 3 like new Colt 20s for $12ea including shipping. Additionally I often buy may range mags for as little as 9.50 ea. There are deals to be had but one must be patient and wait for the chance to pounce on them.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Shotar,
Your ARs are going to HATE you for making their extractors slam against steel casings!
Also, you mention the failure rate is different than Lake City.
Umm... I tolerate a failure rate of 0%!
I can guarantee you you'll experience SOME failures with Wolf!
That's too many.
Flyer

G

·
I don't use Wolf myself (prefer Barnaul), but for the price difference you can buy a new extractor with every case. The Russky stuff is blasting fodder only, not for serious use. A failure to extract in every case doesn't mean a whole lot at the range.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hate to say it guys but the failure rate with wolf is better than with lake city. I have had 3 failures with wolf in 8k rounds. No noticeable wear either. All three failures were directly traced to orlite mags in my Eagle Arms lower. It did not like them. Accuracy wise, barnaul I agree is superior and at least in my Bushmaster is on par with any milsurp I have found. I can't wait to try the new wolf as I understand that they have improved the QC and pumped up the velocity a bit. I think in celebration of the $$$ I saved buying my new keltec over a Kahr, I will treat myself ot a case each of new Wolf 5.56 and 9mm. Hope you Ohio guys join us for bulletfest.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At $100 for 500rds of Lake City M193, I don't even bother with any other round in my AR. It works real good, and I don't get any surprises. I don't really go into gun stores very often, but about three times a year I run into guys bringing in their ARs for service because they shot Wolf in it. My theory is this. Because brass is much softer than steel, it will cause less wear on a weapon than steel casings will.

A great alternative to USGI mags are British SA80 mags. They are identical, except that they have steel bodies rather than aluminum ones. You can find them new for $15. I own 5 and they function flawlessly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help. I hear Wolf is coming out with brass that has some sort of poly coating now so maybe this won't be an issue anymore. I think I will stick with Lake city for shtf ammo and find something a little more accurate for the 4 legged varmits.

G

·
Wolf ammo

Wolf might be making the new cases for the U.S. military. These will have a brass base, and polymer and ceramic sides. If all go well, the ammo will weigh about half as much as previously. Also, it should be out for the public soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not wolf but I have seen this ammo. It shoots pretty well and did hold up to machinegun firing. It is considerably lighter than brass or steel cased ammo but is more expensive at about $170 /1000. The New worlf I spoke of still uses a mild steel case, but instead of the laquer coating they have gone with a polymer coating to protect against corrosion.

G

·
Okay

As far as I knew, Wolf had entered the bidding to make the ammo. If another company won the bid, then that is fine. I didn't know that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts