Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased 3 steel USGI AR-15/M-16 30 rnd mags w/ Green Followers. 2 of the mags won't even lock in to place. The 3rd will lock, but will not feed a single round. The 2 KT mags work fine.

Still a newbie when it comes to fixing things and the Dremel is not my friend.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
22x9,
Are you sure they're genuine US GI mags?
US mags are aluminum.
Where'd you get these mags? Is it possible they're a batch of the new British Military magazines? These are steel...
At any rate, doesn't sound like a mag catch problem since the KT mags work ok. It's a possibility that you need to file the notch on the magazines a tad higher...
Flyer

·
Registered
21 Posts
The British steel mags have had some issues with AR-15's, too. If AR15.com wasn't down you could do a search there for the fix. IIRC you have to file down the mag catch hole just like flyer said, but don't take my word for it, I haven't done it. It was this issue that kept me from buying a bunch of them from Ammoman.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got these 3 from a discount mag site. Might have been Ammoman or magman. I'll measure the KT mags and attempt to file the other mags to an comparable size.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

flyandscuba said:
where is the best place to pick up some mags? Are GI the best? I'd like a few 30-rounders.
I have a few Israeli Orlites that I use at the range. They seem to function flawlessly but you can't leave them loaded because they will swell. I prefer USGI... none of the aftermarket steel stuff is worth anything to me.

I've done quite a bit of business with a guy who advertises mags on AR15.com. His name is Steve LaFlamm and his email address is:

[email protected]

He's very reliable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"The best" are the new "enhanced" H&K mags, but they are not currently maketed to civillians in the US . Write your Senators so we can buy them next October.

Currently USGI 30 rounders with Wolff springs and green followers are near the top, some would give the nod to the same mag made by LaBelle and coated in black teflon. If you are buying USGI mags, make sure they have 5 weld spots down the back, not 3. There were a bunch (either Sanchez or Cooper) that had 3 and did not feed 100%.

USGI 20 rounders with the original aluminum followrers are great, too.

I like US (not Canadian)Thermolds, but some say the lips may crack if you leave them loaded 10 years, or that they explode if you drop a full mag on a concrete floor (I do neither regularly).

Prices on preban mags have been falling, and supplies are loosening up. There seem to be a lot of LaBells around, I guess people have stopped "hoarding".

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I've got a few of the Israeli Orlites, too. These not only work great, but are an almost perfect match for the SU-16's "looks"!
One problem with them, though: they're too thick to store in the stock like a GI mag. Otherwise, I think Orlites are excellent mags.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I found a source for the Orlite AR15 magazines -- 30-rounders for $11.99 each. They also have the British Magazines for $14.95 Can I do better? If anyone has a Galil, they have some 50-rounders :shock: for $19.95 I'm still looking for the GI aluminum magazines...

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

flyandscuba said:
I found a source for the Orlite AR15 magazines -- 30-rounders for $11.99 each. They also have the British Magazines for $14.95 Can I do better? If anyone has a Galil, they have some 50-rounders :shock: for $19.95 I'm still looking for the GI aluminum magazines...
CDNN usually has Colt Factory Original Aluminim w/Logo and green followers in "like new" condition for [email protected] 20's for [email protected]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re:

flyandscuba said:
I found a source for the Orlite AR15 magazines -- 30-rounders for $11.99 each. They also have the British Magazines for $14.95
Where? I'm thinking about getting some Orlites, just like the look.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
They're in a magazine/catalog called Guns -n- Stuff Wholesale. I couldn't find a website listed on the catalog I received in the mail but their phone number is 763-780-8780. Address is: FAC of America, 8035 Ranchers Road, Fridley, MN 55432

Lots of good stuff in the catalog....including plenty of great rifle parts kits.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Speaking of my old buddy, Steve LaFlamm, I just got his latest email with a holiday mag offering. Here is the text of the message:

Here is the best mag sale ever......Christmas special pricing for my select customers.

2, usgi 30 rounders and 3, usgi 20 rounders total of 5 usgi mags for the low price of $95.00 plus $5.00 shipping. Pay pal only to [email protected]

This mags sale is for mags that are 75% finish and up and will fit and function or your money back.

Thanks to all for your business and Happy Holidays and God Bless.

Steve LaFlamm
ar15 magazines
79transam
315-207-9062
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
This is my first post here. I would like to suggest a local distributor that I have made purchases from. He has Orlites in good condition for $10. It is not economical for me to buy from him online as I pay sales tax, but I see him at gun shows regularly. :)

www.firingpin.com

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Gun_Nut_2k1,
Welcome to KTRange!
Thanks for the link... I'm always on the lookout for Orlite mags!
Flyer

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I tried my SU-16 out with some ar15 mags. I used some unknown brand 30 rounders and some bushmaster 30 and 20 rounders. I had problems with all of them. They don't seem to fit tight into the gun. They lock into place fine but I get forward/backward movement which is making it so they do not feed reliably. I can push on the mag on the bottom forwards therby tilting the bullets up and it will load and cycle them just fine. I'm really not sure how to get rid of this play in it. The stock 10 rounders fit nice and tight and also have the guide things on the outside which help hold it in place. Maybe I should try to weld some material on so it will fit into the grooves in the magwell?

I kept getting the bullet pushed back into the brass as it would jam loading. I'm tempted to make the feed ramps a bit larger but don't want to mess anything up permanantly.

Anyone know if there are replacement mag tubes you can buy to repair broken mags like they do for many pistol magazines? I'm stuck here in Kali and basically have what I do and can't buy more full mags, but since these don't work I should be able to buy replacement tubes to repair my current ones. Anyone have any thoughts?? I can take pics of the mags I have if that will help.

Oh, and these 30 rounders do not fit in the stock either which I thought they should....is there some trick to it I can't figure out??

*Upon further read of the mag faq looks like they are USA Mags. No floorplate markings and they have drain holes. However the bushy mags had problems too. This stinks.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have almost Zero movement front to back, and a little side to side with my mags. You may have an out of spec Receiver. If your sure your mags are with in Spec then I would contact KT. The 20 and 30 round mags fit in the but stock horizontally with the curve up. Flyer has a Pic of it some where. I personally keep SS-109 in the two Factory mags in the but stock, and 30 rounds of Win Ball in a GI mag in the Mag well. I have my other High Cap on my Grab n Go belt. 8)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts