Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have recently purchased merchandise from WRB, monitor your credit card activity. It is possible that your personal information is in the wrong hands.

I received a sales invoice today from a company I've never heard of in the mail. It appears I have ordered a 20G HD and a backlit display for someone I've never heard of in FL.

I immediately contacted my credit card company. Fortunately, the charge has not yet posted. I will be calling the vendor tomorrow to rectify the problem, as they have closed for the day.

Upon examining the invoice, I noticed that my street address was misspelled. Right away, I remember making that same spelling error when I ordered a soft padded case for my SU-16 a month ago.

I dug up my invoice from WRB, and there it was--the exact same error. That was the only time I ever misspelled my own address when ordering online, so it sticks in my mind. Not only that, but my credit card numbers and exp. date were listed whole on my invoice. A black marker was used to cover it up, but the numbers can easily be seen under the right lighting.

So, it is probable that someone got a hold of my invoice before shipment and use it for a PC upgrade.

I'm still debating whether to contact WRB, since I might end up talking to the very person responsible for this. I might talk to the police, since I found a clue that could developed into a lead.

Again, keep an eye on your credit card activities.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I had a similiar situation... but the person charged 400 bucks worth of Pizza Hut pizzas and a whole bunch of Nike "Air Jordans".
Strangely, it was the girl at Pizza Hut who got suspicious and called the credit card company. They straightened it out, re-imbursed my account, and went straight after the perp with legal action. I'm pretty sure he got six weeks in jail and a pretty decent fine.
Fine by me!
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bwahahahaha! Flyer, I hate to say this, but unless you *know* the outcome and disposition of the case, I wouldn't count too much on him having served any jail time. I work for the largest credit card issuer in the world, and have seen literally thousands of fraud investigations. Even when a perp is successfully identified (which isn't nearly as often as you might think), banks can only do one of two things: A) forward the evidence to the prosecuting attorney for the jurisdiction in which the crime occurred and *hope* that they choose to pursue charges (which they often don't) or B) pursue the perp in civil court and hope for a judgement in the bank's favor and a court ordered restitution.
Economically speaking, banks choose to pursue very few court cases, because unless the losses run into the thousands of dollars it will probably cost more to go to court than the actual fraud itself.

While there are some highly skilled credit card theft rings who are reaping millions of dollars in large scores (~$5-10k or more), most credit card fraud is detected and stopped by the card issuer's fraud detection programs (which monitor for unusual activity or charging patterns) at fairly low dollar amounts.

Bottom line -- be vigilant, but don't count on the BG getting caught or punished.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
You're right, most time they don't pursue things...
But the DA called me and had me fax him copies of all my bills that showed the charges. He was going after the guy for all it was worth.
I'm pretty sure it turned out unhappily for the bad guy, at least in this case.
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
I sure hope so. Too many criminal buttwipes get away with no punishment. Personally, I've thought of opening my own "bootcamp" prison and contracting my services out. Take in non-violent offenders, work the hell out of them, make 'em sleep in tents, eat bologna sandwiches for every meal, put 'em out on chain gangs to clean the highways, etc, and eventually you turn out people who are much less likely to be a repeat offender than those turned out of "traditional" prisons...

<screaming, spittle flying> Gentlemen, you will call me "Drill Instructor Madman". Should you screw up while in my care, I WILL teach you about PAIN! <wipe foam from edges of mouth>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.